What is the most useless thing in KSP?

TitiKSP

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Go into Difficulty Settings -> Advanced at any time and turn on part G-force limits (right next to kerbal G-force limits and part pressure limits). You'll be a happy camper.  These are off by default because they're meant for use by players who like extra realism and extra hard mode like users of KCT, failure mods, RSS & RO...

I have that setting on, but part G-force limits are around 45 so I pretty much never see its effects.

I mean I've ripped the wings off my spaceplanes plenty of times. Also I do a fair amount of BDA competitions, a lot of them have G-limits enabled.

2 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

Of course I like to watch how people sending such things and apriciate, but I would not consider to do this to Jeb.

Some people play for realism. I play for doing ridiculous things that NASA would never dream of.

1 hour ago, GKSP said:

I expect serious structural integrity loss with 10+ G

4 minutes ago, GKSP said:

I have that setting on, but part G-force limits are around 45 so I pretty much never see its effects.

Ahh. Well you can try this patch and lower its value, and let me know how things go.

@PART:HAS[~gTolerance[*]]
{
	gTolerance = 50 // default value
}

On 11/26/2020 at 4:59 PM, king of nowhere said:

i nominate the large remote guidance unit.

it weights 0.5 tons. it does nothing that is not accomplished already by the small remote guidance unit and a reaction wheel, for a fraction of the mass and cost. if there is a reason to ever use it, i must yet find it.

the whole business is made worse by there being a high tier technology devoted uniquely to unlocking it, making it a further trap option.

I use that thing all the time.  As GKSP stated, much easier to stack into larger portions of rocket.  

6 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

was it even worse than the current magic wings made with thermal shields and "planes" that are a flat forward surface clipped on itself and somehow have no drag?

Oh yeah. I built a plane I couldn't get to stop, even with a parachute, by accident.

mayBj4j.png

And the souposphere was improvement over what came before it, what I call in retrospect the brickosphere. At least the souposphere faded gradually as you got higher. The brickosphere was a brick wall at 35km altitude, and vacuum beyond.

Edited by foamyesque

On 11/26/2020 at 5:59 PM, king of nowhere said:

i nominate the large remote guidance unit.

it weights 0.5 tons. it does nothing that is not accomplished already by the small remote guidance unit and a reaction wheel, for a fraction of the mass and cost. if there is a reason to ever use it, i must yet find it.

the whole business is made worse by there being a high tier technology devoted uniquely to unlocking it, making it a further trap option.

What??? that large remote guidance unit is pretty good for space station Modules for when you cant attach command modules or don't want to put one and yeah its very heavy but its a compromise. Its like saying the R.A.P.I.E.R engine Is totally useless because its the least efficient jet engine of all yet it is a hybrid engine? to me  think the MOST useless is the Drain valve.

1 minute ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

to me  think the MOST useless is the Drain valve.

I disagree. What if you have a spaceplane that has an ideal COM position when the tanks are empty, but you still have some propellant left after you deorbit? Or what if your mining ship is too heavy to lift off? There are several situations I can think of where the drain valve is useful.

KSP's built-in docking mode.  I've never found any documentation for it, or seen anyone suggest it;  it just kind of exists in a vacuum of uselessness.  As far as I can tell it does nothing but deprive you of half your controls.

Edited by Corona688

1 minute ago, Corona688 said:

KSP's built-in docking mode.  I've never seen anyone even mention it when people ask how to dock.  As far as I can tell it does nothing except deprive you of half your controls.

I've never used it but as far as I can tell you have to switch between translation and rotation as they both use WASD. I can't see how that's an improvement over simply using WASD for rotation and IJKLHN for translation.

13 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

What??? that large remote guidance unit is pretty good for space station Modules for when you cant attach command modules or don't want to put one and yeah its very heavy but its a compromise. Its like saying the R.A.P.I.E.R engine Is totally useless because its the least efficient jet engine of all yet it is a hybrid engine?

i just can't see what's the advantage over using the smaller rgu - possibly into a service bay, that on a ship that big is practically a guarantee. an advantage that would be big enough to justify 0.4 tons of extra weight.

to me  think the MOST useless is the Drain valve.

i have a mothership with nuclear engines, and a lander with normal engines.  nuclear engines are more efficient, and they do not use oxydizer. i needed some extra deltaV, and i wanted to dump my oxydizer supply. as far as nuclear engines are concerned, it's just dead weight, and it would be more efficient to do it than to burn the conventional rockets.

i couldn't do it because i was missing a fuel valve. not for lack of engineering, i made it and then deleted accidentally. it's not the only time i found myself longing for one. sometimes you desperately need to get rid of weight, and if you have isru you can always get more fuel.

3 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

KSP's built-in docking mode.  I've never seen anyone even mention it when people ask how to dock.  As far as I can tell it does nothing except deprive you of half your controls.

i've used it occasionally.

so, i find this thread very interesting. apparently, there isn't anything that everyone agrees is completely useless.

Just now, king of nowhere said:

I've used it occasionally.

For what?  And how?  Is there an appropriate way to use it we just don't know?  Like many unexplained things in KSP, I think it's apeing something real, but we were never told what...

12 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

KSP's built-in docking mode.  I've never found any documentation for it, or seen anyone suggest it;  it just kind of exists in a vacuum of uselessness.  As far as I can tell it does nothing but deprive you of half your controls.

Agreed and approved By DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACETM

*TM means its mine and mine only not for public use MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA JK but dont copy my Username plz.

On 11/30/2020 at 3:11 PM, GKSP said:

How about the pretty much infinite g-limit for planes?  I expect serious structural integrity loss with 10+ G.  I had tried using FAR recently, and loved its drag and G-load model, but none of my existing planes could maneuver worth anything (and thats a lot of planes) so I dropped it.

Infinite?! Seriously? Do you know how many times i add Big-S 1 and 2 elevons to my SSTO's and they produce so much lift at 1400 M/S that even a slight poke at the controls completely rips the wings off. rocket parts i understand but airplane parts can tear off easily, especially wings.

24 minutes ago, The rocket exploder said:

For me the most useless thing in KSP are the ant engine, Eeloo and the mite engine.

I Agree to Disagree. Eeloo is a huge scientific plus in science mode. The ant engine is good for small probes or minimalistic challenges and even the Mite engine has its uses for Small probes that need Cheap DV to get where they need to go. 

Eeloo has the highest Scientific Multiplier in the solar system where Eeloo surface has a multiplier of a whopping 15x whereas Kerbin's surface has the worst, at 0.3x scientific multiplier.

Yes, the Ant Engine isn't more efficient than the Spark or LV-909 terrier but its suitable for probes that dont need too much power

Edited by DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE

1 hour ago, Corona688 said:

For what?  And how?  Is there an appropriate way to use it we just don't know?  Like many unexplained things in KSP, I think it's apeing something real, but we were never told what...

it uses for the rcs the same commands you use for the jetpack, making it slightly more intuitive to use for somebody who learned to use the jetpack but not the rcs

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I disagree. What if you have a spaceplane that has an ideal COM position when the tanks are empty, but you still have some propellant left after you deorbit?

Fuel shower is a bad design. But it must be in any vessel for sure. Just in case of reality.

6 hours ago, Corona688 said:

docking mod

Good one. It's so useless I forgot it existed.

Back in the day someone told me it helped consoling rovers. I tried it and didn't really notice anything.

Ooh here's another one: Missions.

I actually like the idea of making them, but there's no reason to put in the effort because nobody (including me) seems all that interested in playing them.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:28 PM, Entropian said:

The Not-Rockomax Micronode.  I can't even think of a single time I've used it.

I didn't even know it existed. So I nominate it as well

7 hours ago, The rocket exploder said:

For me the most useless thing in KSP are the ant engine, Eeloo and the mite engine.

I love the ant engine, I use it time to time. Just doesn't make sense on the larger scale, but for gilly...

I have also never once used a drain valve

4 hours ago, Corona688 said:

The ant engine is amazing for what it's designed to do.  Unfortunately they shoved it into the tech tree at such a late point that by the time you unlock it you're already done doing flybys.

The Ant engine has no gimballing, though. It'd be wonderful otherwise, but the absolute requirement to spend additional mass on a supplemental control system means it is heavier than a Spider.

43 minutes ago, foamyesque said:

The Ant engine has no gimballing, though. It'd be wonderful otherwise, but the absolute requirement to spend additional mass on a supplemental control system means it is heavier than a Spider.

Unless you're using modded parts, reaction wheels are so ubiquitous it's pretty hard to make a probe without one.  If you insist, 0.05 tons for the small reaction wheel is pretty good - just a hair over a single RCS thruster.

Edited by Corona688

42 minutes ago, foamyesque said:

Unless your probe core has reaction wheels, or you're using a Octo-2 for which the smallest reaction wheel and it combined are lower mass than all probe cores with reaction wheels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.