Would this make sense? Hiding systems in progression?

Would it make sense to make the endgame or midgame solar systems hidden? Meaning like in some other mods you would have to use telescopes to discover them?

The Pros

-It would fit well with progression

-It could keep the player from jumping too big of a bite mission

-It would add more value to the planets and moons to feel like "Hey, I discovered that!"

-Mystery of what is to come

The Cons

-Would be annoying when starting a new save and you already completed the game once

-Could cause people to judge the amount of systems based on what they see

-Might mean more complicated things like telescopes when this game is about rockets

-Time consuming launches just to discover places (might be avoidable with boom events)

Edited: Dev confirmation on planets being hidden to Poll is no longer necessary

Edited by Guest
grammer correction

I am not well informed but i think they said they will be a progression type of a system that has to do with colonies.

So i am guessing to go further to the endgame you will have to slowly colonize your way to there.

Edited by Boyster

Yes. To add to that tho,

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Would be annoying when starting a new save and you already completed the game once

They could make it (eeehhhh I'm going to say it...) optional so once you're done (and I have hope that won't happen in first 50 hours at least) you could just unclick it and be free to explore, go straight to your favourite worlds etc.

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Might mean more complicated things like telescopes when this game is about rockets

We do have the Sentinel in the first one, even if it's only for asteroids (and looks weird on top of 0.625m stack). Telescopes are part of space exploration, nothing wrong with that. I'd like to see a part of the game where we have to point at certain region of the sky and let it search for planets.

And like, we shouldn't see straight from tracking station or whatever, how many physical stars are out there, they should all look like part of the skybox. Once we discover them, we could take a look at local neighborhood and switch to them.

A while ago somebody suggested possibility of rogue planets, and I've put forward idea of having to discover their location through gameplay. I think that would fit the theme a little better, as it's hard not to notice a star that's sufficiently close by to visit. But a rogue planet is pretty hard to spot even if it's relatively nearby. And it can certainly have a moon system to make it a bit more interesting.

Seeing the neighbouring stars should be as easy as spotting the Mun, so hiding them altogether just feels wrong. 

Discovering ,and then learning the basics about the planets around them could use telescopes and other 'long range' sensors as a prelude to exploration.  The same idea could also be applied to the Kerbin system.

I would agree that it would be useless to "discover" the stars themselves, as we humans knew 6/8 planets in our solar system before the telescope was even invented. However, discovering the planets around the stars would make more sense.

2 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

I would agree that it would be useless to "discover" the stars themselves, as we humans knew 6/8 planets in our solar system before the telescope was even invented. However, discovering the planets around the stars would make more sense.

...and wasn't Neptune discovered by math and only confirmed with a telescope?

On 11/28/2020 at 11:19 AM, Meecrob said:

...and wasn't Neptune discovered by math and only confirmed with a telescope?

Yes, but planets around other stars were discovered by telescopes indirectly for the most part.

Edited by DunaManiac
corrected typo, thanks Bej, :)

I would have the stars be visible, but not the planets.

Then with some telescopes, you can figure out how many planets, and their bulk properties (radius, mass, atmosphere), but you need to visit the system to see surface details

I would think Fog of exploration would be good if applied to planetary surface as well.

I mean pluto surface was only photographed in detail a couple of years ago. Mars and Moon surface fully mapped only in the last couple of decades. Yet KSP unlock tracking station you can zoom and see everything but scatter. Only thing stopping you is the clunkly interface. Add the possiblity of one more planet that we only now think to look for because of seeing is so often in other systems.

I think there is room in KSP 2 to hid things and require exploration, just needs mission planning tools to hit them once found.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:13 AM, KerikBalm said:

Then with some telescopes, you can figure out how many planets, and their bulk properties (radius, mass, atmosphere), but you need to visit the system to see surface details

Yep, this is what we're doing.

19 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:
On 11/28/2020 at 5:13 PM, KerikBalm said:

Nice. Will we need to use telescopes and survey satellites to construct increasingly detailed views for planets in map mode, and will clouds be a factor here? Maybe when low-frequency scanning is unlocked, you'll be able to view underneath clouds and disable them in map mode?

2 minutes ago, prestja said:

This is excellent to hear. KSP 2 is shaping up to have a much more natural progression system than KSP 1.

yes, I was so overwhelmed by where to go next and I didn't know how difficult destinations where at first.

• 9 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 6:45 PM, Nate Simpson said:

But there should be difficulty options for that: 1. All planets are fullly known from the start. 2. All planets have already been discovered, but we need a closer look to determine everything exactly. 3. As @KerikBalmsaid.