Crash to desktop

I'm havin a major issue with crash and freezes to crashes. It was fine for the first 6 months of playing with light mods, then started to get a crash every so often. Now it's gotten to the point with even no mods and a clean install with 1.10.1 that it will freeze and crash with 20 mins especially if I let the game just run idle for a short period. Tried going back to earlier version like 1.8 and 1.9 and even with no mods im still getting the same issues. Making the game unplayable. Loads up fine every time also

Computer is a new build as of June using ryzen 5 3600, 2060 oc edition gpu 16g of ram and the game is installed through steam on a m.2

What the hell is going on?

Only other game this happens to is the new Microsoft flight sim 2020 but thats cause they're having all kinds of issues but I still get decent play time out of that and the occasional ctd

15 minutes ago, Wave_rider91 said:

I'm havin a major issue with crash and freezes to crashes. It was fine for the first 6 months of playing with light mods, then started to get a crash every so often. Now it's gotten to the point with even no mods and a clean install with 1.10.1 that it will freeze and crash with 20 mins especially if I let the game just run idle for a short period. Tried going back to earlier version like 1.8 and 1.9 and even with no mods im still getting the same issues. Making the game unplayable. Loads up fine every time also

Computer is a new build as of June using ryzen 5 3600, 2060 oc edition gpu 16g of ram and the game is installed through steam on a m.2

What the hell is going on?

Only other game this happens to is the new Microsoft flight sim 2020 but thats cause they're having all kinds of issues but I still get decent play time out of that and the occasional ctd

You probably have files left over in the steam dir.  Open the game directory, delete ALL files and have Steam reinstall it.

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You probably have files left over in the steam dir.  Open the game directory, delete ALL files and have Steam reinstall it.

Do you mean delete all the files from under the steam apps>commom>ksp. Cause I've done that plus Uninstalled  every time to start new but if im missing a step guidance would be nice

Honestly sounds like an out-of-memory error, but that would be weird if you have 16 GB RAM and no other programs open. Try screenshotting the error window. Also go to %username%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad (you can just paste that path as-is into the file explorer) and find output.log and player.log. Ideally grab them directly after a crash.

Regardless though, this is in the wrong forum section. I'll ping a friendly mod for a move to tech support.

10 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Honestly sounds like an out-of-memory error, but that would be weird if you have 16 GB RAM and no other programs open. Try screenshotting the error window. Also go to %username%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad (you can just paste that path as-is into the file explorer) and find output.log and player.log. Ideally grab them directly after a crash.

Regardless though, this is in the wrong forum section. I'll ping a friendly mod for a move to tech support.

ive been trying to copy and paste that path into file explore and also trying to find the output.log and player.log and my pc isnt finding anything. i will say im sorta new to having to dig into that kind of stuff so i might not be in the right spot. even though file explorer should search all files if im thinking correctly.  

and i have a screen shot of the unity error window that pops up but no idea how to attach it. but the top of the window says

" kerbal space program - unity 2019.2.2f1_ab112815d860

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes its very frustrating. ive tried deleteing the program and files completely and doing a fresh install from steam with the newest update 1.11 and im still having the same issues.

ive even tried downloading the older 1.8.1 from steam and then "untying" it from steam by deleting the steam link and did the full rss/ro/rp1 install even on a seperate drive than what steam talks to. and i still get the same unity crash message or even now the blue screen windows crash that says its the watchdog issue. 

weird part is i never had these issues till the forced windows update when i download microsoft flight simulator ( which i dont recommend do to how buggy it is lol) so maybe it was the windows 2oh2 update thats messing everything up. but i truly dont know and im really new to having to dig into debug logs or going into the logs to find things that might give me the answers. also the only thing that shows up in the debug folder is:

[1129/233644.258:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1
[1130/165938.135:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1

i just want this game to work, not only the new update, but my 1.8 rss/ro/rp1, cause i truly enjoy this. just wish i could get a definitive fix or help

Edited by Wave_rider91

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.