Recommend a security system

MaximilianIV

I would like to ask for a piece of advice. What security systems for your houses do you guys use? Can you name me several brands that produce quality products, such as fire detectors and motion sensors? I want that to be modern. I mean, I would like to control it remotely and see what is happening in a backyard at the moment. So, it seems I also need cameras. By the way, I have heard about Ajax. So you not if their system worth it? I will be very thankful if you name me at least two companies I can call.

On 12/1/2020 at 4:34 AM, MaximilianIV said:

By the way, I have heard about Ajax. So you not if their system worth it?

Well, it works. Ask the dude who hopped over our fence and walked straight into a motion sensor.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:34 PM, MaximilianIV said:

What security systems for your houses do you guys use?

To be honest, the best security system I had was a German Shepherd.  Very protective dog.  If you weren't on "the list", you didn't get in my house.    You could easily mix that with some surface mounted cameras, and skip the need for installing sensors in windows and doors. 

But, I do realize that's not what you are asking for. 

In my opinion, anything that features remote control is inherently unsecure. Professional hardware with dedicated control channels at least require some effort to break into, but the lowend "enter wifi password and download phone app" is worse off then key under the mat. 

Personally, I'm in the dog + gun crowd. Mainly because:

5 hours ago, radonek said:

In my opinion, anything that features remote control is inherently unsecure. Professional hardware with dedicated control channels at least require some effort to break into, but the lowend "enter wifi password and download phone app" is worse off then key under the mat. 

This ^.

To be fair, unless your dog is very intimidating, he isn't going to stop a burglar either. (A sleeping pill wrapped in a slice of ham works wonders. Or so I hear.) But, like anything else in home security, the goal is not to make your home an impenetrable fortress (which is impossible). The goal is to make your home more trouble to break into than the house next door.

27 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

… pill wrapped in a slice of ham works wonders.

That's what our vet said. Our dog had his own opinion in the matter :-) 

ED:

gun? shotgun? I wonder what kind of postapocalyptic wilderness are you guys living in.

Edited by radonek

2 hours ago, radonek said:

ED:

gun? shotgun? I wonder what kind of postapocalyptic wilderness are you guys living in.

*bewilderment*

This is America....guns (especially shotguns w/ rock salt) are popular for home protection. 

Spoiler

1. A dog == a mobile server with neural network. Provides only local presence, produces a lot of false positives. Should be virtually emulated and upgraded.

2. Cats repel creepers.

3. Did anyone try a celled magpie with a jingle bell? Presumably it should be better than a dog.

3 hours ago, Lewie said:
6 hours ago, radonek said:

ED:

*bewilderment*

This is America....guns (especially shotguns w/ rock salt) are popular for home protection. 

And a fence with skulls of previous trespassers.

Edited by kerbiloid

10 hours ago, radonek said:

That's what our vet said. Our dog had his own opinion in the matter :-) 

ED:

im from alaska. from the size of some of the wildlife we got (bears, wolves, moose, caribou, sea lions, mosquitoes), im surprised they are not mandatory.

6 hours ago, munlander1 said:

I thought flechette rounds were bad...

willie pete is hard to come by, not impossible mind you.

Edited by Nuke

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

And a fence with skulls of previous trespassers.

I'm pretty sure our HOA CC&Rs specifically prohibit this.

13 hours ago, Lewie said:

(especially shotguns w/ rock salt)

Bad plan. If you don't need to respond with lethal force, then don't shoot. If you do need to respond with lethal force, then why have a less-lethal round in the chamber?

Edited by TheSaint

7 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Bad plan. If you don't need to respond with lethal force, then don't shoot. If you do need to respond with lethal force, then why have a less-lethal round in the chamber?

You don’t need to shoot to kill. Even just firing said gun into the air would be enough to make ‘em scram.

48 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I understand.  Uniform design, so on.

50 minutes ago, TheSaint said:
14 hours ago, Lewie said:

(especially shotguns w/ rock salt)

Maybe he means salt in pieces, not in powder.

17 hours ago, TheSaint said:

The goal is to make your home more trouble to break into than the house next door.

And after they start robbing the neighbors, to call police and tell them that the neighbors are under attack.

That's what they name "neighborhood watch"

Thanks, guys! I like your ideas about guns and dogs. Sound very protective, but, unfortunately, I am not sure it suits me. My little doggy is more likely to open the door to the burglars than to protect myself. She is too friendly. Guns are illegal in the UK, so, I need to do a hard job to find them without a license. Anyway, when I am out, the gun could not shut by itself, lol. I have called Ajax and mentioned the comment from DDE, they laughed. Said it works perfectly, by the way. So, I think it would be better than a gun or a dog! Thank you!

1 hour ago, costalacosta said:

Thanks, guys! I like your ideas about guns and dogs. Sound very protective, but, unfortunately, I am not sure it suits me. My little doggy is more likely to open the door to the burglars than to protect myself. She is too friendly. Guns are illegal in the UK, so, I need to do a hard job to find them without a license. Anyway, when I am out, the gun could not shut by itself, lol. I have called Ajax and mentioned the comment from DDE, they laughed. Said it works perfectly, by the way. So, I think it would be better than a gun or a dog! Thank you!

Not all dogs are known for being nice.

Rottweilers. German shepherds. Dobermans. Pit bulls.

There are yet more.

there have been situations where house cats have repelled burglars.  of course it only takes the cat to not be in a burglar repelling mood at the time for it not to work. there is also the chance that the cat might like the burglar more than you. 

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

there have been situations where house cats have repelled burglars.  of course it only takes the cat to not be in a burglar repelling mood at the time for it not to work. there is also the chance that the cat might like the burglar more than you. 

Yeah...cats have that unpredictabilty factor...which often works in their favor.

When it does not..."Cat has nine lives."  saying applies, or  "Curiousity killed the cat." otherwise.

17 hours ago, Nuke said:

The feline alarm is unlikely to "work" until the burglar begins to rifle through the closet.

Edited by DDE
Typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.