probes before crew?

eberkain

I can't deal with loading times anymore.  So I'm resolved to restart my science playthrough and have almost no mods.  

Is there a mod that shuffles around the default tech tree to have probes before crew?  I don't want some gigantic tech tree with tons of empty nodes.

10 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Probes Before Crew  uses the Community Tech Tree, there is a mode that hides empty nodes for all the stuff you don't have installed.

I'm familiar with both, I also looked at SIMPLEX and Unkerbaled Start.  

Kerbalism adds feature unlocks to nodes that are not parts, Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes can hide those nodes if they have no parts. This is something I just recently learned was an issue.  

What I'm looking for is a mod that lets you have probes before crew, without also giving you a giant tech tree expansion.  

I don't have a mod for you, but this has been a much requested feature in KSP. I know that I have asked the devs for this to be the case, and I know others have as well. Maybe we need to start a petition to change the tech tree a little.

2 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

There is a mod for that. And check out the name! Exactly what you're looking for!

Based on the Community Tech Tree, which is exactly what I am not looking for. 

I also found some old mods called Tech Tree Tweaks (TTT) and Unmanned Before Manned (SETI), which are closer but have not seen updates in a long time. 

@eberkain, think you've come across most that has recent updates and has support for Kerbalism.  I don't think that any current mod meets your requirements, a small probes-first tech tree with Kerbalism support. Talking from personal experience, a tech tree is a great way to start modding and create an experience that caters to what you want. Just for completeness as this seems to be a regular question, just posting some links to tech trees and some WIP concepts that I've come across with differing levels of support for recent versions of KSP:

Edited by hemeac
Clarification

It is an expansion on CTT so it may be beyond scope for you.  It was initially balanced from ReStock+, Missing History and the Near Future Mods (alongside Kerbal Atomics and Cryo Engines), not sure what your definition of not too many mods as that can vary across people.  With those, that should cover just about every node in the beginning of the tree.  There is a patch in the extras folder if you want to disable the upgrades that I've added.

That is basically what I was doing before, All of Nertea's mods, Planetary Base Systems, Feline Rover, SuicidialInsanity Mods, Airplane Plus, some more.  Basically a whole bunch of stuff, and it was just unbearable.  I had done about 1/3 of CTT researched and collected most of the science from the Mun and Minmus with about 100 active flights, but man the loading times were just unbearable.  5 min to launch the game, and a good 30 seconds of black screen to just switch vessels. I cant do it anymore. So, restarting the playthrough with bare minimum part mods and pulling out some stock parts that I never use like wings, and the new props since they don't work in FAR anyhow.  Going to try to make it as lean as possible to have a better play experience in the long run.  I like a lot of the ideas in Kiwi, but yeah, I think I may just go with the stock tree and start with crew vessels.  Meh.  

Do you use Kerbalism? Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes is designed to not hide nodes if a part uses the stock PARTUPGRADE module. But it looks like Kerbalism also uses modules called UPGRADE and UPGRADES? Would that be causing the incompatibility you see? I could possibly add support for these modules so nodes don't get hidden. I've never used Kerbalism though, so I need to check out the mod and find an example of the issue first.

Yes, Kerbalism has a new upgrade system that unlocks part features along with some nodes, there is blue text on the node which tells what gets unlocked.  

C7D4eBc.jpg

With CTT those unlocks are spread out more, and a few end up in nodes without any parts if you don't have the right mods installed. 

FitBlD1.jpg

And you should totally play Kerbalism, the new redesigned Science Collection is the most amazing mod.  It changes everything. 

Edited by eberkain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.