Animals

8 minutes ago, razark said:

I'm trying to figure out why people have a problem with digital animals being mistreated, but are perfectly fine with digital Kerbals being nothing more than cannon fodder for our torturous amusement.

a) It *is* kind of dumb and tastless - not sure where you got 'absolutely fine' - but

b) Media and gameplay make it clear it's no big deal.  Also the differences mentioned earlier, which are important in real life too, by the way.

c) It's already endemic anyway, so

d) Trying to stop anyone would be a stupid argument.

Is it?  Mistreating digital sapient creatures is perfectly fine, but if I mistreat another digital sentient being, I'm a horrible psychopath, why?

Not the 'mistreating digital sentient beings' bit, but the whole 'aggressively accosting other people with your animal abuse fantasies' thing.

Edited by Corona688

22 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

not sure where you got 'absolutely fine'

From reading the forums, and seeing the official 1.0 release video where "crew plummeting to their inevitable deaths" is fine, because, haha, dude dropped his sandwich.

23 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

the whole 'aggressively accosting other people with your animal abuse fantasies' thing

Mistreating animals is bad, but the forum has plenty of posts where mistreating Kerbals is accepted.  Where's the people who are upset with "aggressively accosting other people with your sapient being abuse fantasies"?

My position is that neither the Kerbal or the animal is a real thing, so why is one worse than the other?  If we're ok seeing a rocket full of Kerbals crash and kill them all, why do we have a problem with the possibility that someone might have the ability to kill a dog?  There's obviously a line people are unwilling to cross.

4 minutes ago, razark said:

From reading the forums

Then all I can say is you really haven't been paying attention.  *shrug*  The lolsplosion and happy-go-lucky violence schtick has opposition even among the devs themselves but can't really be changed now.

Anyway, think we understand each other now, even if not agree.

6 minutes ago, razark said:

My position is that neither the Kerbal or the animal is a real thing, so why is one worse than the other?  If we're ok seeing a rocket full of Kerbals crash and kill them all, why do we have a problem with the possibility that someone might have the ability to kill a dog?  There's obviously a line people are unwilling to cross.

Exactly -- there's no point.  The only use of this game mechanic would be creeping out other people.

Edited by Corona688

1 hour ago, razark said:

I am now going to start a new career, where the Kerbals are selected from the penal system and sentenced to conduct test flights. 

Think positive: Kerbin is a imbo for Kerbals, and you are helping them to successfully pass it by possessing their motionless aethereal bodies and purifying with rocket fire.

This also explains :
why we can't see baby Kerbals (they don't reproduce at this astral plane) ,
why there are no fishes, birds, cows, etc (they have their own limbos: Minecraft and Subnautica),
why we can't see any crops or source of food (they need no astral food unless you order them to need),
why there are no objects except KSC and a couple of "launch sites" more ,
why the planets are so small while the gravity is still normal,

Some of them wear orange robes.
On one hand, they are most sinful of them and are sentenced to come back over and over again.
On the other hand, they are used to help less experienced Kerbals, so at the same time they are the most righteous ones.

This also obligates you to have no Kerbals endlessly stranded in spac, you should return them all for any price.

The Mystery Goo is ectoplasm.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 4 weeks later...

I say animals should be added, however, simply as things you can find on kerbin at random, the player CANNOT INTERACT WITH THEM(unless its a bird near an air intake, then the intake will explode, as will the engine nearest to it(jet engine)

• 2 months later...

Kerbal elephants would not fit stock capsules, but mini-elephants could do that, and even pull sticks by trunk.

Also to carry things on the Mun if use mini-elephant spacesuits.

P.S.
Big elephants are useful, too.

Kerbals could herd them and use as rovers.

Edited by kerbiloid

19 minutes ago, paul_c said:

Imagine how much the capsule would stink, after 286 days of orbiting with a cat in it? Reason enough alone, not to include animals.

If use a she-cat, they get used to use a dedicated place much better.

A dog is more intelligent than you'd think. I believe Laika flew a pretty good gravity turn and reorientated the spaceship to align the solar panels.

But, there is a good point about sending an elephant to space, they are more intelligent still and the trunk is extra useful. I can't see any flaw whatsoever in the idea......

3 minutes ago, Single stage to ocean said:

Or bugs without colliders, but you can interact with them for inventory purposes by pressing f so you can put items in their inventory, and they only are on laythe or eve.

Wait for the next new release, there's always plenty of new bugs to discover :ph34r:

My only addition to this thread is this:

https://gfycat.com/unluckybestkrill

And yes I want it for the environment.  No, I do not want to launch it into space.  And no I do not expect stock to do it.  Modder territory.  I know well enough there are animals on Kerbin, what else could make the bird like noises at the KSP?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.