Kopernicus Has No Effect

Hi! Recently I've been trying to get Kopernicus to work . I downloaded the latest version from GitHub. Then, I followed the directions -copy the items from the Kopernicus GameData folder into my KSP GameData folder. Then, just to test it, I tried changing the name of several celestial bodies in the system.cfg. When I launched KSP, the module manager showed up and said "Module Manager: 7 patches applied," but absolutely nothing had changed in the game. I tried getting a different version from GitHub. I tried messing with the Kopernicus examples, and changing textures. I couldn't find any documentation of other people having the same problem. I'm using windows, I have both expansion packs installed, and my only other mod is Kerbal Engineer. Help!
:0.0:

15 hours ago, MoneyBags said:

Hi! Recently I've been trying to get Kopernicus to work . I downloaded the latest version from GitHub. Then, I followed the directions -copy the items from the Kopernicus GameData folder into my KSP GameData folder. Then, just to test it, I tried changing the name of several celestial bodies in the system.cfg. When I launched KSP, the module manager showed up and said "Module Manager: 7 patches applied," but absolutely nothing had changed in the game. I tried getting a different version from GitHub. I tried messing with the Kopernicus examples, and changing textures. I couldn't find any documentation of other people having the same problem. I'm using windows, I have both expansion packs installed, and my only other mod is Kerbal Engineer. Help!
:0.0:

Firstly, make sure that you have downloaded all the dependencies. That includes Module Flight Integrator. Second, you cannot modify the bodies' names in system.cfg.

In order to make a patch that changes a planets name, look at this:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[planet name here]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			displayName = [new planet name here]^N
		}
	}
}

This should be correct.

Edited by DunaManiac

Thank for replying! Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to do this.

2 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Firstly, make sure that you have downloaded all the dependencies.

I have all the dependencies that came with Kopernicus. These are Modular Flight Integrator, and Module Manager. Are these all I need, or am I missing something?

I made a file just like the one you demonstrated.

{
	@Body Kerbin
	{
		@Properties
		{
			displayName = NotKerbin^N
		}
	}
}

I named it Kerbin.cfg, and put it in the Config file in Kopernicus. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but it did seem to have some effect because when it was there, Module Manager said it had applied 8 patches instead of 7. Even then, Kerbin was still stubbornly named Kerbin. Do you know anything else that could have caused the problem?

P.S. Is the ^N a new line character?

3 hours ago, MoneyBags said:

Thank for replying! Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to do this.

I have all the dependencies that came with Kopernicus. These are Modular Flight Integrator, and Module Manager. Are these all I need, or am I missing something?

I made a file just like the one you demonstrated.

{
	@Body Kerbin
	{
		@Properties
		{
			displayName = NotKerbin^N
		}
	}
}

I named it Kerbin.cfg, and put it in the Config file in Kopernicus. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but it did seem to have some effect because when it was there, Module Manager said it had applied 8 patches instead of 7. Even then, Kerbin was still stubbornly named Kerbin. Do you know anything else that could have caused the problem?

P.S. Is the ^N a new line character?

You need to put the config inside Gamedata. Additionally, the correct notation is @Body[Kerbin], not @Body Kerbin.

Hi, thanks again. Sorry for my incompetency on this matter. My config file is still named Kerbin.cfg, but now it is in the GameData folder. It looks like this now:

{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			displayName = [NotKerbin]^N
		}
	}
}

I tied it without brackets around the name, I tried it on changing the body to Jool, and i tried replacing the "displayName" with "name." It still had no effect.

Also, for the installation of Modular Flight Integrator is there anything special I have to do? I wasn't sure, so I moved the .dll into my GameData folder along with what came with Kopernicus, but to no avail. :(

@MoneyBags First things first... waht version of KSP are you on? Do you have the proper fork of Kop? there are three: one for KSP 1.8.1, one for 1.9.1, and one for 1.10.1

Also, what are you using Kopernicus *for*/trying to accomplish?

A screenshot of the contenets of GameData folder might help to verify eberything is installed correctly.

Also, logs might be helpful... vOv

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue

@DunaManiac

Hi!

I'm on KSP version 1.10.1, and I have Kopernicus branch dev1101.

Right now, I'm just trying to get Kopernicus to work, and I am changing the names of the bodies as a simple means of testing the functionality. If I get it to work, I will hopefully be able to mod/make planets :)

Attached is a link to my GameData screenshot and logs.

Thanks ever so much!

Edited by MoneyBags

On 12/7/2020 at 3:33 PM, MoneyBags said:

@Stone Blue

@DunaManiac

Hi!

I'm on KSP version 1.10.1, and I have Kopernicus branch dev1101.

Right now, I'm just trying to get Kopernicus to work, and I am changing the names of the bodies as a simple means of testing the functionality. If I get it to work, I will hopefully be able to mod/make planets :)

Attached is a link to my GameData screenshot and logs.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahs7bBOdLLt0gULSIPsmowjec0ol?e=pa6KMh

Thanks ever so much!

By the way, display name is still incorrect. It should be:

displayName = Notkerbin^N

I'm sorry if this wasn't clear earlier.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:44 AM, DunaManiac said:

By the way, display name is still incorrect. It should be:

displayName = Notkerbin^N

I'm sorry if this wasn't clear earlier.

Hi, thanks for clearing that up. As I said above, I had already tried this without the brackets. Do you know of anything else that could have caused this problem?

The *.cfg file that you showed above, with or without the [] or ^N, at least changes the name of Kerbin as shown in the Tracking Station for me, so the problem is somewhere else. 

Your GameData directory and player logs don't show any problems that I recognize.

You might try another approach.  Get Kopernicus working first with someone else's Kopernicus configuration.  There are some very simple ones like Snarkiverse (link).  I had Snarkiverse working on 1.10.1 with Kopernicus-bleeding-edge release 38.  If you haven't already, get a download .zip from one of the 'releases' linked at the the head of the Kopernicus development thread (link) and from there choose a release number that someone in the thread has verified as working.

That way, you confine the source of potential problems to your installation of Kopernicus-continued.

@DunaManiac

@Stone Blue

Thanks!

I tried getting the version of Kopernicus that @BigFatStupidHead had the link for, and It seemed to be a step in the right direction. When, I opened up KSP, I got an error message: "Kopernicus was not able to load the customary planet due to a exception in the loading process. Loading your saved game is NOT recommended, because the missing planets could corrupt it and delete your progress. Please contact the planet pack author or the Kopernicus team..."(Boo!) Naturally, I loaded  my save and the name of Kerbin was changed. (Yay!) But then, the whole computer froze, and I had to reboot. (Boo!) When I went back to KSP, my save wouldn't load because it said "Error accessing this save. Value cannot be null." Not to worry though, because it was the useless sandbox save that I made for the sole purpose of testing mods. :confused:

Edited by MoneyBags

Well, first try installing ONLY Kopernicus and it's dependancies on an otherwise pure stock game. DId it work? If so, grab a well-known planet pack and add that. OPM is a classic. Did it work? If so, add your other mods a few at a time until everything is loaded. Any time you get an error, come here, post about it and we'll try to help. If everything works, hurray! Have fun!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.