8 gilly flat landing sites

antipro

hi, I recently had some troubles landing gilly with MJ.
so after manually searching some flat spots, I've used the "landing guidance" for the initial maneuver,
then I stopped it and I landed manually.

I just would like to share 8 places, good for landing where the slope is between 0.2° and 0.5°.
hope they can help:

gilly%20landing%20sites.jpg?dl=1

I am currently using (5.08, -61.56), alt 5682 (mountain top).  I use wide-base landers so am not too troubled by slope, but flat is good.

If you are mining and boosting fuel to orbit, you might like this tip:

1. with a target reference on the surface, boost a reference vehicle straight "up" (SAS Radial Out) and bring it to a Target-relative standstill at 42.14 km.  Your orbital period should be 1d 1h 50m 55s and you will be geostationary; not directly above the surface target, but not far from it.  This assumes an equatorial surface site, or close to it.  You will get some "wobble", if not, which is not necessarily bad.
  2. you can now boost a tanker from surface to orbit reference and vice versa as a "straight shot" -- aim at the target, accelerate, coast, decelerate, land/dock.  A bit like a space elevator.

I find this makes mining on Gilly quite enjoyable!

Edited by Hotel26

• 3 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 1:01 AM, antipro said:

hi, I recently had some troubles landing gilly with MJ.
so after manually searching some flat spots, I've used the "landing guidance" for the initial maneuver,
then I stopped it and I landed manually.

I just would like to share 8 places, good for landing where the slope is between 0.2° and 0.5°.
hope they can help:

gilly%20landing%20sites.jpg?dl=1

Hi @antiprothe link doesn't work. Would you mind hosting it in imgur or similar?

Thx.

hi, I've tried to recover it but the image is lost.
Anyway Gilly is plenty of flat spots.
here are another 0.3°/0.5° slope spots close to the equator, found in 2 minutes using "Alt+F12 - Cheats - Set Position" and this tool:
https://ksp.deringenieur.net/

Once you're are in the Gilly Slope Map, just look for dark places, then enter the coordinates you like and fine adjust it using "Set Position".

gilly%20flat%20landing%20spot.jpg?dl=1

gilly%20flat%20landing%20spot%202.jpg?dl

gilly%20flat%20landing%20spot%203.jpg?dl

gilly%20flat%20landing%20spot%204.jpg?dl

gilly%20flat%20landing%20spot%205.jpg?dl

Edited by antipro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.