How do Kerbals take off their helmets?

cyberKerb

I know it's a stupid question... But it occured to me their arms aren't long enough to reach the top of their heads. This means they can't lift a helmet 'off' their head, just raise it to brow height.

Maybe it's Avengers time-heist suit style, where the helmet collapses into the neck ring via "nano tech"

Edited by cyberKerb

We see it happen in one of the KSP shorts.  They grasp the bottom and twist.

If you mean, how do they do it by themselves, I have my doubts that a human spacesuit can be donned on one's lonesome either.  They weigh at least 200lbs.

Edited by Corona688

If you’re in space, either in orbit/microgravity or on a low-G body, taking off a helmet would be pretty easy even for a Kerbal- twist to unlock, then push it upwards and it’ll float off their head. For higher gravity situations I would expect some kind of shelf-like device that the suits get stored in would support the weight of the helmet and allow the Kerbal to duck/wiggle out from underneath it.

1 hour ago, Corona688 said:

If you mean, how do they do it by themselves, I have my doubts that a human spacesuit can be donned on one's lonesome either.  They weigh at least 200lbs.

Yes, it requires at least 2 people to do it. It's similar to the famous EOD suit, in that you need to have you and another person to put you in it and help you out of it. While the EOD suit does have the ability to be undone by the user by way of a emergency exit system that makes the suit fall away from the user.

6 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

The same way they fit them through the capsule doors.

Most regular capsules they will, there are some that don't however. 

Edited by Mikenike

Kerbals have the little known capability of momentarily pulling their head back into their chest cavity like a tortoise.

It's a bit of a taboo subject because for a while they swell up in the chest and abdomen alarmingly and the space suit has to stretch accordingly, so I doubt we will get it on camera.

D.

12 hours ago, Daveroski said:

Kerbals have the little known capability of momentarily pulling their head back into their chest cavity like a tortoise.

It's a bit of a taboo subject because for a while they swell up in the chest and abdomen alarmingly and the space suit has to stretch accordingly, so I doubt we will get it on camera.

D.

I did't know that.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:18 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

If you’re in space, either in orbit/microgravity or on a low-G body, taking off a helmet would be pretty easy even for a Kerbal- twist to unlock, then push it upwards and it’ll float off their head. For higher gravity situations I would expect some kind of shelf-like device that the suits get stored in would support the weight of the helmet and allow the Kerbal to duck/wiggle out from underneath it.

i think in low pressure conditions the helmet would fly off, by the force of the air getting out, so maybe in high gravity/low pressure coditions wouldn't be as hard

12 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Capsule door size varies from mod to mod, and the best ones follow proper proportions.

Another question is how do the Kerbals see with their foreheads.
The Kerbal "view" is placed at the forehead level, not at the eyes.

All Kerbals from birth get a small GoPro embedded in their foreheads to document their entire lives. Your view is actually from this camera.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4pRYgfqniw7CWZU-2sgn

That's exactly how the Kerbals see the world.

Probably, they don't eat in the space for same reason.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvxqmtk3_XqKWHpx-6Bfd

After that, is it strange if they can create/disintegrate a helmet by the force of will?

Edited by kerbiloid

41 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

is it strange if they can create/disintegrate a helmet by the force of will?

They can do many odd things.

• They can teleport a short distance, ignoring momentum entirely, so long as their destination is a ladder.
  • They can crawl through any solid object instantly but must remain seated otherwise. But both of these things are true only inside a space ship.
  • In fact I think those two things are how they get out through the doors: They don't. They combine their ability to teleport to ladders with the ability to phase through solid objects.
  • That also explains why ladders are so high on the tech tree. They're not simple ladders. They're momentum-canceling teleportation targets.

Edited by Superfluous J

I thought it was common knowledge that their helmets are essentially sugar based. To remove, the wearer inhales rapidly,  causing the thing to disappear up their nose/into their mouth. They then dash round in an insane sugar rush.

How they put them back on again, now that's the mystery.

Edited by purpleivan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.