My parachutes aren’t slowing me down when fully deployed, help?

Hi @KerbalPilot178, welcome to the Forums.

Unfortunately I don't have enough information to understand what is actually happening in your case. One guess is that the parachute rips apart because it was opened at too high speed, or the forces could have ripped the parachute from the rest of the craft. (Yes that happened to me once, but on Eve!)

Can you post a screenshot (or video) of the situation? I think that would be very helpful.

2 minutes ago, KerbalPilot178 said:

Plz help me.

Which parachutes are you using?

All armed parachutes semi-deploy until they reach their atmospheric pressure setting. Then they fully deploy and cause enough drag to slow down. Heavy craft require more chutes than lighter craft.  Chutes are armed during staging.

"Drogue" chutes can deploy at lower pressure and higher altitudes but they are typically insufficient to slow down a craft enough to make a safe landing. They should be used in conjunction with standard chutes that deploy at lower altitudes and higher pressure. 

Altitudes and min pressure settings can be altered in the VAB by right clicking on the chute. For Kerbin, I usually set min pressure for regular chutes to .42 and drogue chutes to .21.

Details for stock chutes can be found at: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Parachute

On 12/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, KerbalPilot178 said:

My parachute is only slowing me down briefly and then accelerating to 100mps in mere seconds

You may need to apply the use of MOAR Chutes, as you may be breaking them due to weight. But as the other members have said, screenshots of the mission log or a video will help a lot.

Ok so what’s happening is that when I open a chute at about 60 m/s it slows me down to about 58 m/s and then my velocity shoots up again to about 100-200 m/s and I plum it into the grind as if the parachute Isn’t there. 

I also tested if I had too little parachutes however I tested with 4 MK 16 radials but that made my speed faster.

30 minutes ago, KerbalPilot178 said:

Ok so what’s happening is that when I open a chute at about 60 m/s it slows me down to about 58 m/s and then my velocity shoots up again to about 100-200 m/s and I plum it into the grind as if the parachute Isn’t there. 

I also tested if I had too little parachutes however I tested with 4 MK 16 radials but that made my speed faster.

That makes little to (Absolutely) no sense. Not because of wording, but because that shouldn't be possible. Is the problem with the Mk16s only, and not with the Mk25 (both drogue and main) ? If not, I recoomend using them for the time being until we can figure out what is wrong. I have no clue why this is happening, but I feel it is something to do with your craft as a whole, not just your descent stage. Can you give me the basics of your craft, and its stages. I.e I have a Mk1 with goo containers 3x radially with a Mk16 parachute on top. I want to know the mass of the final descent stage before chute deployment. I want to get more detailed here, so I'd like to know what altitude you are deploying them at, and all other settings over it, so is it deploying "When safe" or another setting. I'd also like to know if you have anything attached to the bottom of the CM that isn't a heat shield. It may be caused by a number of things, so I am trying to narrow it down to help out all involved.

Also, are you playing with mods, and on what platform, Linux, Mac, Windows, XB, PS? What version of game are you runing as well, these all affect how and what I say to help.

@Mikenike when you answer this

1 hour ago, KerbalPilot178 said:

Did You stop the engine before chutes?

2 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

Did You stop the engine before chutes?

This right here.  Do you have your parachutes and one or more engines in the same stage?  If so, that's the only thing that I can think of that would be causing this.

Also, pay attention to altitude when you deploy.  On Kerbin, I generally leave the defaults alone on MK16's, and I stage them when I hit ~2000m.  The drogue chutes I never use less than 2, always radially.  And I leave the defaults there alone, deploying at ~5000m.  Using that set up and deployment method, I haven't had a single crash due to the parachute deployment.  Altitude...that's another story.  :D

With all that said, screen shots and a better explanation of what you are doing and when would help us to help you.

This solution might be whimsical, but theoreotically possible: Your chute MUST be larger, or the same size of your command module.

Another possible solution: if you're just going to use the chute with other stuff like engines etc., decouple them. It's too heavy for the chute to bring.

But if you don't want to decouple, try enabling your engine until it slows you down. Ensure you're in a landing direction, not right or left, as this will expand or retract the orbit.

Last resort: Bring as many radial chutes as you can. They might help you in slowing down.

Edited by Helvica_Ring_Scientist
Forgot something

On 12/8/2020 at 11:58 PM, Vanamonde said:

I have never heard of this happening in the stock game. Do you have any mods installed? 

It's been really long time this happened in stock game, it happened to me too.

@KerbalPilot178find your ksp install directory and delete PartDatabase.cfg, then run your game.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.