A Very British Space Program - RSS/RO/RP-1

seyMonsters

Please sit back with a cup of tea, and relax as I try to take Britain to the stars. I have taken data from prototype, developed and planned British engines, mixed it with a bit of British design and decided to see just how well could they do if post war Britain had thrown a little bit of money at the problem instead of just the innate creativity mixed with sticky tape and hope that usually happens... Will Britain expand into a Vertical Empire?

Now this sounds interesting! I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for the Black Arrow- the best looking rocket of its time IMO and one which had a lot of potential - so I’ll be interested to see where you go with this.

One minor thing though- sometimes the music is a bit too loud and I find it hard to hear the voiceover, can you turn the music volume down a bit or the voiceover up a bit please?

(P.S. spaceport in Newquay or Sutherland? :wink:)

22 hours ago, seyMonsters said:

Please sit back with a cup of tea, and relax as I try to take Britain to the stars. I have taken data from prototype, developed and planned British engines, mixed it with a bit of British design and decided to see just how well could they do if post war Britain had thrown a little bit of money at the problem instead of just the innate creativity mixed with sticky tape and hope that usually happens... Will Britain expand into a Vertical Empire?

Since when did Britian have a space program? for all i know, britian had one orbital rocket, launched it once, and never used it again. and now they rely on other countries rockets... that's not a space program. that's a hitchhiking program.

1 hour ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Since when did Britian have a space program? for all i know, britian had one orbital rocket, launched it once, and never used it again. and now they rely on other countries rockets... that's not a space program. that's a hitchhiking program.

You ever hear of alternate history? @seyMonsters does say he

23 hours ago, seyMonsters said:

decided to see just how well could they do if post war Britain had thrown a little bit of money at the problem instead of just the innate creativity mixed with sticky tape and hope that usually happens...

6 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

One minor thing though- sometimes the music is a bit too loud and I find it hard to hear the voiceover, can you turn the music volume down a bit or the voiceover up a bit please?

(P.S. spaceport in Newquay or Sutherland? :wink:)

Will see what i can do about the music situation ;-)

Was actually thinking of TRYING to add in either the Isle of White (as they did test firings their) or ideally RAF Spadeadam as it was set up for launching Blue streak and is also the largest RAF site by size in the UK..... thoughts?

1 hour ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

As others have said, this is Alternative history....  Post war Britain was cash strapped and didn't see the value in a commercial satellite launch system (ad the USA made some interesting promises if they stopped development... then reneged but that's another story lol).... they remain the only nation to develop the ability to launch their own satellites and then give up on it..

however for your own interest try googling Black Arrow, Blue Streak, Black Prince, Gamma Rocket Engine, Europa (rocket), Blue Steel, Miles 52 . You might find lots of interesting reading and end up down an interesting rabbit hole...

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

High pressure separate structure tanks (the steel ones at least) can hold sounding payload, much better than using those awful service module tanks and their dismal mass ratios.

Thanks for the tip... the second I read this I remembered it from playing RP-0 years ago !

I... may have ripped the wings off one of my first planes through over enthusiastic pitch input too :blush: which is why I always switch on Atmospheric Autopilot to dampen the controls at high speeds and correct the twitchy SAS as well.

Oh, and DO NOT land on the water: it’ll bounce your plane around with ever increasing speed until it smashes to bits, as I found out to the detriment of my rocket planes- and pilots!

I’ve found planes in RP-1 to be incredibly twitchy and prone to massive overcorrections with either SAS or MechJeb’s autopilot, but the Atmospheric Autopilot mod really helps dampen those down and makes flying planes vastly easier; I see the icon on your toolbar already, why not give it a go?

Those airbrakes are deploying the wrong way, they should deploy down to act as flaps rather than up which reduces your lift.

Rule number one of contracts- ALWAYS read the small print. I’ve shot myself in the foot a few times by accepting or completing a contract that then made another contract I had previously accepted unavailable, which caused it to fail and cost me most of the gains from the contract I had just completed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.