Reusable Space Program

seyMonsters

Crazy idea time- build a tanker that can fly down from Mun orbit to the surface, land, drive itself to the mining base, fill up with fuel and then fly itself back to orbit. Docking ports on the front and top give you control for driving and also for flying vertically, wheels with a bit of ground clearance avoid grazing the terrain going over bumps, engines attached to the sides for stability and control via gimbal, separate fuel tanks for flying and transporting fuel.

I made something like that for a mining operation on Ike and Duna and it worked a treat (especially with Bon Voyage to drive it for me :wink:) and doing it all in one craft will reduce complexity, reduce part count and make things easier to manage too.

8 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

build a tanker that can fly down from Mun orbit to the surface, land, drive itself to the mining base,

If only I had thought about that before filming the next few episodes!!

i do have something sort of similar planned.... but a little more unique ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.