why do the vernor engines not work?

28 minutes ago, Snark said:

Fins are good, yes, but they only work if the CoM is reasonably high above them.

Or between front/up and rear/bottom control surfaces.

17 minutes ago, minerbat said:

while on the topic of aerodynamics, is there a point to the pointier (and heavier) nose cones? do they actually cause less drag or are they just for looking cool?

Cones help a lot against drag. Try.

2 hours ago, minerbat said:

this has gone from a question about why vernor engines don't work on eve to a eve lander tutorial and everyone is saying that i should add fins but i already have those alright? but i did get some good tips so thanks.

Rescue mission?

1 minute ago, vv3k70r said:

Cones help a lot against drag. Try.

sorry, i didn't ask my question right, i don't mean if nosecones work but if there is a difference between the "aerodynamic nosecone" and the "advanced nosecone - type A/B"

Rescue mission?

no, i usually test the most critical parts of a mission with alt-f12 before i fly them so that is how i found this problem. i actually have decided to design my lander again from scratch.

The advanced nosecones have more mass, but significantly lower drag. So using them depends on how much time you will be spending flying through the atmosphere, and whether you can decouple/discard them once you reach space.

3 hours ago, minerbat said:

sorry, i didn't ask my question right, i don't mean if nosecones work but if there is a difference between the "aerodynamic nosecone" and the "advanced nosecone - type A/B"

Yes, it save some dV. And are reasonable to carry control surfaces to be detached after leaving atmosphere. They are big and this is good. Those earlier do not have this advantage.

3 hours ago, minerbat said:

no, i usually test the most critical parts of a mission with alt-f12 before i fly them so that is how i found this problem. i actually have decided to design my lander again from scratch.

This game is about such problems - there is no other.

It is a whole fun to send a rescue mission that propably need another one :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.