Sending a 1:1 scale stock CN Tower Replica to Minmus

s_gamer101

Stock 1:1 Scale CN Tower Replica to Minmus

Sic9WTF.png

This Mission was one of my submission for the "Providence" community project which was part of the Upsilon initiative. The tower's height is about 553 meters, like the real CN Tower.

The lower part of the tower consists of fuel tanks and some other stuff. I filled the fuel tanks, then I just had to attach some detachable engines and RCS pods. It seems like this "confused" the game, causing wrong delta V readouts (I had way more dV than what was displayed). Luckily, the delta V readous from Kerbal Engineer Redux were still displaying correct values.KG6IqXB.png

Liftoff!

aYtHlhF.png

UfQnRQe.png

I reached orbit with only one stage, so it was technically an SSTO so far, but now I was almost out of fuel and I decoupled the Mammoth engines.

Time to launch the refueler!

Lq1ifJi.png

Part count including launch vehicle: about 900 parts

IOCDZ4k.png

8tiyCbV.png

ZHyfDyE.png

p2fwMx7.png

Docking a 600 parts vessel to a 900 parts vessel - There was a lag.

qelXHVn.png

TAC Fuel Balancer saved the day, because without it, I would have had to refuel tank by tank, clicking on every single one at least once and also worry about balancing the vessel and it would have taken forever.

ZCTuM3F.png

Park orbit around Minmus, ready to land.

0HwmIxH.png

5sZch2U.png

QDaDIYH.png

Touchdown!

But for some reason, the tower was kind of... shaky. And for some reason, it was sliding accross the surface. I had to use almost all of the remaining fuel for the RCS to keep it in an upright position while waitig for it to stop sliding. It took a while until I figured out that it might be better to disable SAS. And it also took a while until it came to a stop then.

RWZMJWY.png

Then it finally stoped sliding.

wpimRZg.png

Decoupling the RCS pods.

VBcPbyz.png

Sic9WTF.png

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.