What is the point of making a suggestion?

If KSP makes no comments or gives any input into a suggestion, what is the point of making a suggestion?

And don't ignore this question KSP makers. I'm pretty sure a lot of us who love this game and present genuine ideas to you, would like to know you even exist or take any notice of 'your customers' suggestions (who, as customers,  are always right) ,as to how to improve this product.

Or are we all completely wasting our time?

14 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

This forum's suggestion area is for discussing suggestions, not making them.

To make a suggestion, use the bug tracker.

One of mine made it into the game. Twice, in fact. For the same one :D

A very good idea it is too:D

So where is this bug tracker? And where is the process of getting KSP to communicate to its customers that they have become aware of an idea, will discuss it, or reject it? How does a customer even know that their idea has been seen by KSP builders?

1 minute ago, klgraham1013 said:

It's here so people can vent.

Also...this is a lie your parents told you.  Sorry.

I'm 59 years old. My parents are dead. Do not assume! Do not patronise me!

Edited by jagfour

10 hours ago, jagfour said:

So am I, and so are mine (yes, really, on both counts).  And 'the customer is always right' has never been true...  you just don't  always tell them that to their faces.

I understand  your main point, but in my experience here (not as much as @Superfluous J though) Squad very rarely get involved  in suggestions discussions,  they do read the forums though and will very occasionally chip in.  Getting deeply involved in discussions can be very time consuming and unproductive, and they have been 'misunderstood' in the past by mentioning things they were 'considering' or 'planning/hoping to look at at some point' which then were taken (by some) to mean 'promised soon' which led to numerous 'where is this thing you promised ?' rants so I can understand  why they don't get too involved.

They have their plans, they just don't share or discuss them because plans can, and do, change for any number of good reasons.

Edited by pandaman

9 hours ago, jagfour said:

Your parents do not need to be alive to have said something.  Thats besides the point anyway because you heard it from someone that had no idea what they were talking about. 

On 12/13/2020 at 8:20 AM, jagfour said:

If KSP makes no comments or gives any input into a suggestion,

Or are we all completely wasting our time?

False dichotomy. A response is not required for there to be some value in making a suggestion. Specifically...

what is the point of making a suggestion?

It allows the developers to get a rough sense of what people care about. For example, if there are 100 threads (or one very long thread with lots of participation) about making pink bunny space suits but 0 threads about multiplayer, the devs do not need to go in and reply to every thread or discuss the exact degree of ear-fluff to use for that to influence their priorities. Sometimes a suggestion may not be viable for reasons unknown to us (business priorities?) or reasons we can guess (backwards compatibility, conflicts with other subsystems), and users almost never respond well to statements "rejecting" their suggestions outright.

User-provided details are sometimes of dubious value at the suggestions stage. The devs do request feedback from time to time once they've chosen a project and have some work to share; that's an effective way to iron out rough points and tweak things they didn't think of. If they provoke you into fleshing out a gigantic detailed faux-design-document, that may give you the impression they intend to do everything you've said, where they might only intend to pick and choose a few things here and there.

Edited by HebaruSan

Ahhhh sheeple being taught their new histories of how things were and they are buying that too.

I remember when for many companies, the customer was always right. It was a phrase used by companies to try to get their staff to try to not have a single customer dissatisfied.

Companies used to feel that their customers were important. But Americans taught the world that there is "One born every minute" and how to "mass produce" rubbish.

One used to tip for good service now they just put it on the bill.

One used to own a game one bought, now one is merely paying to use it and the producers can take away your ability to play it at a whim.

Things used to be "Built to Last" now they actually have "Built-in Obsolescence" where a part of a product is designed to fail after a given time to force the sheeple to buy a new ("More up-to-date") one.

I remember when "Made In Britain" was a label that most foreign countries relied upon. (Back when Britain was allowed to make things and have industries and such)

People used to care.
Some still do.
It's the monsters that keep taking your money for things that really should last a lifetime that aren't human any more.

A boiler used to go behind the fireplace and would last a lifetime, sometimes several lifetimes.

Now it goes in a cupboard to make it easier to replace every few years.

Remember when the first TV remotes came out and you could change the channel from another room? Could even change the neighbour's TV channel? Now, even though you replaced the batteries a week ago, it still takes three or more clicks to get the thing to respond.

It's not about ingenuity any more. It's about money.
The Russian space program was awesome. They got the first satellite to orbit. The first Man (and woman) in space. They didn't just throw money at things to make them work. They used genius and tight nuts.
The Americans spent a fortune designing a pen that could write in Zero G.
The Russians took a pencil.

If I had my way, perhaps we would all be going around on horseback or travelling to other countries in sailing ships.
But I would try to find that Genius that was Russia and have them get us to Mars.

D.

Well, this thread's gone rather spectacularly off-topic and will be closed now. At any rate, the devs do read the suggestions subforum, and have implemented a number of things requested here. But they're busy people and seldom have time to post here.