KSP2 Easter Egg Wishes

Dr. Kerbal

Do you want Easter eggs in Kerbal ,Space Program 2?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Easter eggs in Kerbal ,Space Program 2?

• Yes
    • No
    • I really do want them! Please just add em!
    • No!!! Don’t you add them!
    • Help! I don’t know what your talking about.
    • I don’t care a single bit,

28 minutes ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

In KSP2 we need Easter Eggs like the first one. (I think) We need a worried saucers in the Mun or a giant space alien on Bop. You know!

It is just a guess, but I would imagine it will be similar to KSP1 for this.  

Hopefully mostly different things, in different places, and a few more too.  With maybe a monolith equivalent too that has 'copies' dotted about.

2 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

We should have an old mun lander from KSP 1 crashed in the mun equator.

I agree, but it shouldn't be any old lander, but the KerbalX (stock rocket)

I only see the arches and cave to be the good easter eggs. Hopefully they transfer over

Edited by Guest
grammer correction

• 2 weeks later...

The thing with Easter eggs is that devs add them just for fun when they have a bit of slack for whatever reason. If they're designed in to please the fans they aren't Easter eggs anymore, they're just fanservice.

So if the devs have enough slack to add some Easter eggs they feel are funny I'm all for it. But I think asking for them or speculating about them goes against the whole notion, so I'm also all for not having them if they don't feel like it.

It's not like devs have lots of opportunities to hang loose and relax a bit to start with. Putting pressure on them in the one area where it might be possible is just unkind.

For KSP2, I want to see both easter eggs (random funnies like the toilet in a destroyed astronaut complex, crashed UFOs and other amusing hidden things that have zero effect on gameplay) and also hidden anomalies that tie into the exploration gameplay like the newish green monoliths.

Basically something like the anomaly explorer contract pack that functions as the lightweight story mode for career KSP1 never officially got with some reward for finding each anomaly, unlocking the ability to find more anomalies.

• 6 months later...

Personally, I'd love to see a few easter eggs that can be interacted with to do interesting things.  For example:

• A pair of functioning stargates between two bodies.  This could be very OP depending on where they were placed, but it wouldn't need to be.  A link between Dres and Vall that let kerbals and small craft through for example could be quite interesting without being game changing.
  • A kerbal-sized mass-driver on a small airless body like Bop.  It'd be so much fun to cannonball kerbals from the surface and use their jetpacks to rendezvous with a craft in orbit.  Of course this one could be constructed instead (I think people have done similar things with rocket engines in KSP 1 even), but an ancient alien kerbal cannon would still be quite cool.
Edited by StopIteration

1 hour ago, StopIteration said:

A pair of functioning stargates between two bodies.

Not going to happen. KSP2 won't have warp drives, jump drives, wormholes, star gates basically no scifi future tech.

9 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

no scifi future tech

There's a huge difference between being able to build stargates and having a single pair of stargates exist as an easter egg.  Yes, it's scifi tech, but it would exist as a novelty rather than a core game mechanic.  As long as the stargates are placed with care (ie far from kerbin, and not on places like eve that have special challenges), it'd be infeasible to use them to get around.  This is why I suggested a link between Dres and Vall.  Maybe you could save a little bit of dV for some very specific missions if you knew where the stargates were, but IMO that'd make the game more interesting without really compromising the spirit of realistic spaceflight.

Besides, easter eggs like crashed UFOs somewhat imply scifi tech anyway.

4 hours ago, StopIteration said:

There's a huge difference between being able to build stargates and having a single pair of stargates exist as an easter egg.  Yes, it's scifi tech, but it would exist as a novelty rather than a core game mechanic.  As long as the stargates are placed with care (ie far from kerbin, and not on places like eve that have special challenges), it'd be infeasible to use them to get around.  This is why I suggested a link between Dres and Vall.  Maybe you could save a little bit of dV for some very specific missions if you knew where the stargates were, but IMO that'd make the game more interesting without really compromising the spirit of realistic spaceflight.

Besides, easter eggs like crashed UFOs somewhat imply scifi tech anyway.

It doesn't matter, the Nates were very adamant, no wormholes. Even as an easter egg, it wouldn't be in the game. If they want to add a model for a stargate as an easter egg, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The only thing that the crashed UFO's implies is that some aliens visited the Kerbin system.

4 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

aliens visited the Kerbin system

Yeah, and what kind of propulsion system do you think the UFO uses?  It's clearly based on cultural depictions of flying saucers that would have FTL or a reactionless drive.  You can pretend it's just a one-way atmospheric entry capsule and that the aliens got here on an orion drive, but I'm pretty sure that's not what's being implied.

My main point from the beginning was that I think it'd be great if there were easter eggs that can be interacted with.  I gave two examples to explain what I meant because I knew if I just gave the example of the stargates that this would be the knee-jerk response.

To be even more clear about what I'm getting at, most of the easter eggs in KSP 1 don't have much revisitability.  You find them once, say "oh that's neat", then never bother returning.  A notable exception is the Mun arch, which although static, is fun because you can create your own minigames with flying through it, etc.  I want more easter eggs like that.  An easy way to do that is by having easter eggs with unique functionality, being either fun to play with or slightly useful.  It doesn't need to be stargates.

That said, I still think the stargate easter egg could fit into KSP 2.  Yes, they obviously conflict with the literal stated goal of not having wormholes, but the reason for this avoidance of wormholes is because of the effect they would have on gameplay.  In the way that I described them, there would be almost no effect on gameplay.  Aesthetically, I can see how they might seem out of place, but to the extent that that even matters for an easter egg in a game that already has flying saucers, you could get the exact same effect without wormholes by replacing it with a brain-scanning cloning device that transmits signals over the CommNet (which is instantaneous in KSP 1).