High-G adventure - in spaaace

I'm tired of skipping these contracts every time they come up. How in heck do you get tourists to pass out while in space? It's easy enough in atmo with a few flaps and a good thrust vectoring engine but without air to push against I just can't even get their G-meters to twitch, let alone max out.

I even made a dumbbell "ship" with Soyuz capsules at each end and spun it up with giant RCS blocks. They didn't even blink.

How do y'all do these?

37 minutes ago, Saaur said:

I'm tired of skipping these contracts every time they come up.

you could use the Clear Contracts Tool, I always use it.

clear%20contracts.jpg?dl=1

38 minutes ago, Saaur said:

How in heck do you get tourists to pass out while in space?

it is quite simple, just accelerate till they die.
G-Force test video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/npoqtjma1l69vt4/tourist g-force.mkv?dl=0

gforce.jpg?dl=1

It's really hard. I tend to use a flea SRB, attached to the very lightest crew cabin I can find. Using a hammer SRB with most of the fuel removed might work even better.

But the basic point is, you have to maximize short-term thrust, and minimize mass. Then you need to make sure that you have a plan for surviving reentry.

8 hours ago, Saaur said:

I even made a dumbbell "ship" with Soyuz capsules at each end and spun it up with giant RCS blocks. They didn't even blink.

As you probably learned from this, Kerbal G meters do not register gees from rotation. You could spin a ship at ludicrous rpms until the game’s physics starts ripping radially attached parts off, but Kerbals will be none the wiser.

Kerbals only react to linear gee forces. In the air you can accomplish this with a sharp turn at high speeds because as you pull through the turn, the air pushes against you creating negative acceleration in one direction, while your engine pushes positive acceleration in a different direction, thus your net change in velocity is added up and reflects on the G-meter.

In space the only source of change in velocity is an engine, so executing sharp turns will have no effect. Only way to get a G meter to move in space is lots of engine thrust. Take a big engine like a Mainsail attached to a small amount of fuel and a light spacecraft, throw in a handful of SRBs, and fire it in whichever direction you want. Prograde, retrograde, spinnygrade, doesn’t matter.

Edited by lemon cup

12 hours ago, Saaur said:

How in heck do you get tourists to pass out while in space?

To solve this problem AHTech Industries invented the:
       GeeMaster 2000
GeeMaster-2000
Your one step solution for all your nasty thrill seeker problems! AHTech Industries' patented "separating cabin" centrifuge technology allows you to swirl these pesky, so-called tourists around and around until their money finally separates from their wallets. After parking the GeeMaster 2000 in orbit you can use a common passenger shuttle to ferry Kerbals with a too large wallet/brains ratio to it, rotate (See the pun here!!11!) them through the centrifuge cabins, and return them back to Kerbin with only a minimal expenditure of fuel.

On request AHTech Industries can also provide you with a single use design that includes a suitable crew return pod, with or without use of the special broken ground technology.

O.K. marketing BS aside:

5 hours ago, lemon cup said:

As you probably learned from this, Kerbal G meters do not register gees from rotation.

Yes and no: Kerbals only register the acceleration of the CoM of the craft that they are currently on. So if you have one craft and "only" rotate that around then the Kerbals won't register acceleration because the CoM of that craft doesn't move. But if you have craft that are separate craft according to the game engine, then rotating these separate around a common CoM will expose the Kerbals in the outer craft to g-forces.

8 hours ago, ConArt70 said:

I normally just send a capsule on a high altitude ballistic trajectory, say up to 150km straight up and let it fall back into the atmosphere. The steep descent angle  g forces always cause the tourists to pass out. 

That works when the contract only needs suborbital flight, but when "orbit" is required it won't meet the contract conditions.

1 hour ago, DeadJohn said:

That works when the contract only needs suborbital flight, but when "orbit" is required it won't meet the contract conditions.

So just make orbit and deorbit at a steep angle. 

Alternatively, get all your chutes to fully open at the same time. Sometimes that's enough to knock them out

Edited by ConArt70

26 minutes ago, ConArt70 said:

So just make orbit and deorbit at a steep angle. 

If the contract says "in flight", that means in the atmosphere. If it says "suborbital", that means it has to happen while the craft is above the atmosphere. If it says "in orbit", then the craft's Pe needs to be above 70km when it happens.

I always find that sticking a small SRB under a pod and lobbing that into space is the best way of making them black out- you can easily pull 10 or more Gs with a Flea or Hammer booster for long enough to make them black out, and if they’re stubborn then reduce the Kerbal G-force limits in the settings menu to make them even feebler and black out faster.

Huh. I just use a Mainsail set on a low enough TWR, so that it can still get around by itself, but it's always set at something like 20 percent, so once I'm in orbit, I push it to the max, and let it rip. I always do it in the lowest orbit possible, because I have on more than one occasion sent them into an escape trajectory before knocking them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I should grab a screenshot of the vehicle I ended up using, basically a simple shuttle, with side mounted thrust plates each with 4 nodes attaching escape systems, so a total of 16 escape systems. it accelerated the whole shuttle, which iirc housed 3 tourists + a pilot. the whole thing was in orbit I pointed prograde at periapsis and fired up the escape systems. the thrust was enough to knock out the tourists but not the pilot, once done, the escape systems were all jettisoned and at the apoapsis it was very little energy to bring the periapsis down into the atmosphere. the shuttle was then able to make re-entry and even land wheels down on the runway without parachutes.

I forget if I was able to recover the assent stage, but the 4 escape systems are still floating around in orbit waiting for my cleanup crew to grab them and de-orbit them. I've a tug in orbit slowly making lots of rendezvous with all sorts of early campaign tanks and stages which got left in orbit, engineer is attaching parachutes, de-orbiting them, detaching the claw, speeding the tug back up to orbital, then I switch to whatever it is making re-entry and watch it come down. recovering some good cash when I manage to successfully descend a stage with an engine still attached.

ZrY6CeE.pngjPYyNxh.png

Shows the shuttle, I did take a screenshot of the whole stack including the first stage, but looks like imgur lost it and I couldnt be screwed uploading it again.

not that important anyway, I'm sure most people can figure it out. this shows how I'm getting the passengers in without the higher tech mk2 passenger module, which makes the whole shuttle quite versatile. as I noted above it's possible to land this wheels down on the runway at KSC, though parachutes are there as a backup.

The escape system modules are stuck on using the 4x radial attach, so there's a total of 16 escape systems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.