Apollo Saturn V stock replica

Yukon0009

3BfKCDx.png

It's been a very long while since I released anything on the forums, and longer still since I started working on this replica.  I've been working on and off on this replica for over a year, and the sheer complexity of this thing made it very hard to really finish. Unlike the real thing, I couldn't do any "all-up" tests and I had to do flight testing of every stage, and let me tell you, it was difficult-I spent a lot of time just making the first stage not explode on launch. And because of how long I spent building, I made many changes here and there to the craft, never being really satisfied with the results. And the part count also ballooned, from just around 700 for the early versions to a whopping 2577 in its current form, which made testing even more difficult. Combined with having to study for my final exams, this thing has spent a long time on the backburner. That's why you'll see some outdated aesthetics methods used on this craft, most notably the custom lettering on the second stage. Normally would have swapped it out for flag lettering, but I was so proud of that I decided to keep it instead even at the cost of about 400 more parts. 

But now, I've finally finished this thing. Hope you like it.

FLIGHT MANUAL

Saturn V ascent
1. Stage to activate main engines, then slowly throttle up: do NOT hit full throttle.
2. Fly straight up to 2000m 
3. Slowly start your gravity turn, do NOT make large control inputs
4. Don't be alarmed when there are sudden spikes of lag during stage separation
5. Ignite Stage 2 engines after the sepatrons burn out

Unbreakable joints and infinite heat tolerance is recommended for ascent

Transposition and docking
1. Stage the fairing
2. Make sure you don't decouple the wrong part (check the staging, I'm not sure if its right)
3. Perform the usual docking stuff

Landing
1. Enter low (~10km) munar orbit
2. Zoom your camera into the CM, the three kerbals are housed in chairs, EVA them across to LM
3. Zoom camera into the back of the LM, you should be able to see the chairs in there
4. Munar landing: do not spend fuel loitering, it does not have the fuel margins to do so
5. After surface operations, set throttle of the LM descent engine to 0, hold SAS radial out
6. Stage and separate ascent module, initiate gravity turn higher than with normal mun missions
7. Rendesvous and dock with CSM: you may have to switch to the CSM if the ascent module runs out of fuel

Returning to Kerbin should be straightforwards enough, not going to bother writing instructions here

Flight pics

Spoiler

zGjVU9k.png

nRMqcTn.png

tnPAiSY.png

ssJj2cs.png

dcqGPD4.png

UXt4uaO.png (1920×1080)

6l2hvuO.png

q1wfEN3.png

XzZGMj4.png

YlHstdW.png

sVYaAU0.png

kMfVoGD.png

1bp4GxK.png

nSf7ONC.png

JjHs3Ox.png (1920×1080)

iwb9slI.png

vWdLXHA.png

2KCcJB1.png

BxLgtEm.png

yMwfJF3.png

mCV3RjE.png

cKgN3po.png

2kfryTI.png

sshRkOw.png

dOToylD.png

DOWNLOAD

Absolutely definitive replica - the work that went into this has paid off in a big way - I'll have to give this the honor of attempting to fly it, even if just to appreciate all the small details up close.

10 hours ago, Servo said:

Absolutely definitive replica - the work that went into this has paid off in a big way - I'll have to give this the honor of attempting to fly it, even if just to appreciate all the small details up close.

I'm very happy to hear that! Though, your computer will probably appreciate it less...

• 1 month later...

What can I say...? I visit the forum after years away and see this beautiful monster! It’s stunning work mate. I can’t imagine your level of patience testing something with over 2000 parts.. 
The LEM is an absolute masterpiece. it’s gorgeous. I don’t recognise half the parts as I haven’t played for so long but I know how hard it is to make things like this so I am in awe of this. 

MJ

On 2/10/2021 at 3:47 AM, Majorjim! said:

What can I say...? I visit the forum after years away and see this beautiful monster! It’s stunning work mate. I can’t imagine your level of patience testing something with over 2000 parts.. 
The LEM is an absolute masterpiece. it’s gorgeous. I don’t recognise half the parts as I haven’t played for so long but I know how hard it is to make things like this so I am in awe of this. 

MJ

Thank you, it took a really long time to both build, test and fly everything in this replica, and there were plenty of kraken attacks along the way. It's a pleasant surprise to see you still around btw. 

On 2/5/2021 at 10:27 PM, Le Lynx said:

How the LEM is make?

The lower stage uses the HECS2 probe cores, and the upper stages uses a large variety of parts, such as probe cores, fuel tanks, thermometers and parachutes.

Here is a closer look at the LEM https://imgur.com/gallery/IUtokYB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.