[1.8.1 - 1.10.1] BoostGuidance v1.0.1

oyster_catcher

On 4/24/2021 at 5:53 AM, oyster_catcher said:

It designed to work with FAR if its present or else use stock physics, and I thought I'd tested this well enough. So the error shouldn't mean that BoosterGuidance failed all together. So you can ignore the error. FAR is not required. Does BG still appear to be working or not?

Will be a problem if Mechjeb is installed and FAR is not

@oyster_catcherare you still around?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/20/2021 at 2:09 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Will be a problem if Mechjeb is installed and FAR is not

@oyster_catcherare you still around?

Sorry everyone. Its been a long time for me. So many comments I haven't responded to. This inspires me to get back to it and sort out any compatibility problems with the latest KSP. So the mod should work whether FAR is installed or not, it willl just use FARs atmospheric prediction if available - though this was quite hairy to get to work. Let me know if you see any bugs

On 4/25/2021 at 5:41 AM, Titan 3001 said:

So this is a really brilliantly coded mod. The ability to have a single mod take most craft from a suborbital trajectory back to a site near the launchpad is just, astounding.

I do have a question though @oyster_catcher how will this mod work with Flight Manager for Reusable Staging? I have looked all over the thread and it says nothing and I thought it best to ask you. Will the revert to an earlier point break the landing point or is this a way to land all of a replica Falcon Heavy boosters with only a few clicks of a button?

Sorry. I've been off KSP for a long time. I suspect you've found out yourself. I don't know precisely. I think it might work ok. I'm guessing the switch forward/back in time will be like loading/saving the game in which case the correct settings for BG and correct phase of flight should be set to the correct values from that game state. So I hope it should work. Let me know what you find/found.

2 hours ago, oyster_catcher said:

Sorry everyone. Its been a long time for me. So many comments I haven't responded to. This inspires me to get back to it and sort out any compatibility problems with the latest KSP. So the mod should work whether FAR is installed or not, it willl just use FARs atmospheric prediction if available - though this was quite hairy to get to work. Let me know if you see any bugs

Probably aren't any issues, but feel free to reach out if you need any help

On 12/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, oyster_catcher said:

This may not be new but here's my mod which aims to autonomously guide a Booster to land on a drone ship or the launch site (or anywhere else) using a combination of Boostback, Re-entry Burn, Aerodynamic Descent and Landing Burn, i.e. SpaceX Falcon 9 style. Select your landing point either by clicking on it, typing the latitude+longitude+altitude or selecting a target (e.g. drone ship). Its aimed to be reliable and fairly easy to use. I've also made it work in Realism Overhaul where limited throttle able engines and limited ignitions mean you can't play fast and lose with your engines. With suitable engines and using the right number active you can achieve this is Realism Overhaul which gives a real feeling of satisfaction.

The mod relies on accurately simulating the entire trajectory to landing including burns later in the flight which means guidance should be accurate without the need for any heroic manoeuvres as the impact of say the reentry burn is properly factored in. BoosterGuidance will continuously monitor the target error and aim to reduce it in boostback, re-entry burn, aerodynamic descent and in the landing burn steering either via engines or via grid-fins depending on the phase of flight. You can set the steering gains during the flight to give the grid fins more/less to do, and configure the reentry burn via altitude and target velocity. Some more advanced settings allow you to set safety margins, speed of final descent, at what height to give up steering and more. You can also log the whole flight and plot it to examine in detail what happened and how closely you could copy SpaceX.

Released under GLP v3.

Here's some videos showing it working with a single stage Falcon 9 booster

In Realism Overhaul with a 2-stage Falcon 9 rocket where I make a half-hearted attempt to get the 2nd-stage to orbit.

This mod is very usable and lots of fun now but has a few limitations I'm working on.

- Clicking the target only works  close to the terrain or there are physical structure (some KSP/Unity Raycast limitation I don't understand)

- In Realism Overhaul you may need to manually reduce the gain close to landing to avoid large oscillations

- Landing legs deployment is unreliable

- Guiding more than one booster simultaneously should be possible but is currently unreliable. My goal is a Falcon Heavy two booster landing. That will be awesome!

- It should work on other planets too though the trajectory should be sub-orbital to impact the ground within about 10 minutes as simulation time is limited for CPU reasons

Get the mod via GitHub here: https://github.com/oyster-catcher/BoosterGuidance/releases

or on SpaceDock here: https://spacedock.info/mod/2587/BoosterGuidance

Released under GPL v3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this requires FAR?

Edit:  Oh, I see that it requires FAR to compile, but not to run

Edit 2:  There is a better way to see if a mod is installed than forcing an exception.  Here is some code which I use in many mods to test for a mod's availability:

public class HasMod
    {
        static public bool hasMod(string modIdent)
        {
            foreach (AssemblyLoader.LoadedAssembly a in AssemblyLoader.loadedAssemblies)
            {
                if (modIdent == a.name)
                    return true;

}
            return false;
        }
    }

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.