SAS control gone reversed on belly flop

Sirius K

I've been experimenting with bellyflop landing some tall vessel (basically Starship descent), and actually succeeded once before KSP inconsistent aero physics ruined it. Though with more tests, I found that the craft will go stable when the elevons were deployed the other way. The same thing happened to my previous successful craft, with the back fins goes the reverse way as the SAS tries to stabilize.

I have a separate control point during belly flop but that doesn't fix.

The first successful craft (which later fails,) is Artemis Voyager I and the craft just went straight to engine first dive after 20km (if dropped from 50km). The second craft that I still experimenting is Artemis Voyager II (I'm great at naming), which has forward fins, flips nose first, before engine first, and lastly nose first (or remain engine first, depending on forward fins height). 

And yes i'm using this post to fix bellyflop too (pls I want to make video soon).

4 minutes ago, Sirius K said:

I have a separate control point during belly flop but that doesn't fix.

It is not necessary. After belly flop You just flight upside down - controls are same.

Like driving car using mirrors not only left-right, but also upside-down.

1 minute ago, vv3k70r said:

It is not necessary. After belly flop You just flight upside down - controls are same.

Like driving car using mirrors not only left-right, but also upside-down.

the separate control point helps me pin to retrograde or prograde during belly flop descent

1 hour ago, Sirius K said:

the separate control point helps me pin to retrograde or prograde during belly flop descent

Unnecesarry - You can use standard control point and just reverse it in Your head. I do this with some crafts, mostly with my early, bad rovers when they hav to dock with trailer with docking port only on trailer.

It is even worse when docking with rotated dock on side angled 45deg from construction to move a whole craft. But patience - it is solvable reference for human brain.

2 minutes ago, vv3k70r said:

Unnecesarry - You can use standard control point and just reverse it in Your head. I do this with some crafts, mostly with my early, bad rovers when they hav to dock with trailer with docking port only on trailer.

It is even worse when docking with rotated dock on side angled 45deg from construction to move a whole craft. But patience - it is solvable reference for human brain.

Well it's kinda off what I wanted to discuss about in this topic, what's wrong with my craft though

1 hour ago, Sirius K said:

Well it's kinda off what I wanted to discuss about in this topic, what's wrong with my craft though

I understund Your issues. They exist. If You test it a bit further You will find thet deploy mode for control surface do not necessary follow angle of parent part but something else.

Best You can get is to create action group that flip/restrict some behaviours of control surfaces. But this is very simplified game and there is not much You can do about SAS piloting (You can try to rotaty it by robotic parts - it will be off by some degree from expactation) in stock.

Generaly there are workarounds, but try to check what behaviour of automatic control You do not like most and then solve only this one issue, then another one and so on untill You consider that rest of the minor issues is something You can adapt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.