Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

10 minutes ago, Souptime said:

Time for the horrific process of updating mods and forgetting kopernicus needs 1 ish month to update and having to miss out on everything!

This didn't age well. I went and looked ... kopernicus has already been updated!!

Edited by JedTech

2 minutes ago, Souptime said:

Last MAJOR update, big fixes will be on the way im certain of it

Again, I'm not seeing any evidence that this is the last major feature update for KSP. KSP 2 is coming but they're still going to be continuing KSP development when it releases.

3 hours ago, SQUAD said:

kerbal Space Program 1.11: Some Reassembly Required is the game’s latest major free update

I mean they did say this

So maybe paid major updates from now on, im not sure

Disregard this, i have a smooth brain

Edited by Souptime
I pulled another smooth brain and misread it as last

Did some experimentation with orbital assembly and it seems we can forget about any kind of precision in surface attachment if the kerbal isn't currently on a ladder. If you're drifting, not only do dropped parts also drift - which is probably deliberate - but when you have a part selected with the offset tool and are holding down any of the arrows, the part will drift with you regardless of whether you have angle snap on or off. I also dearly miss symmetry modes, even though I understand why it's not available in flight (would require more than one part and as of now, allowing one part to be symmetry'd would allow one to create an infinite number of parts out of thin air by symmetrying them, removing one and symmetrying it again).

It also looks like they knocked off an obvious loophole by preventing containers themselves from being stored inside larger ones.

And ran into a bug where toying around with the inventory space of one of my vessels in the VAB caused the Mk1-3 command pod to no longer accept crew, even once I emptied the inventory. Switching to another vessel and back didn't fix it, but exiting and reentering the VAB did.

Edited by Fraktal

3 hours ago, klesh said:

The EVA Science animation is an absolute riot.  EVA Construction seems solid so far.  The addition of the visor is great!  The inventory system is user friendly. Loving the look and function of the new lights.  RCS additions oh so welcome, especially the tiny one.  I'm having some shadow flickering, but enjoying too much to care right now.  This seems really fun so far, I hope its a solid release. Thank you. Happy Holidays everyone.

The real magic of this release is that you're not grumpy about it. :D And since I always agree with you on quality control issues, I'm taking it as a very good sign.

(Please pardon the teasing, it's entirely good-natured.)

From Modder’s Notes (here, as it’s more general than mod-specific):

Kerbals are no longer massless, and the weight they carry in their inventories matters in terms of physics. In order to not impact the way existing vessels fly, an amount of mass equal to the size of the crew times the mass of a kerbal with a full jetpack and a parachute (94kg) is subtracted from the vessel mass and added back in function of the crew in the vessel. This is all already done automatically, but if you want to play around with different mass values for a kerbal, the value is kerbalCrewMass in Physics.cfg (defaults to 45 kg).”

@JPLRepo does this mean a pod launched with a crew, who then exit and stay behind, will be lighter than one that launches with no crew? That seems odd and probably not what you’re saying here. Clarification? Thanks

6 minutes ago, fourfa said:

does this mean a pod launched with a crew, who then exit and stay behind, will be lighter than one that launches with no crew?

No, they'll be equal. All pods are now crewSize * 94kg lighter in the VAB than they were in 1.10. For each kerbal with the default loadout, an additional 94kg is added back in, both in the VAB and during flight. They get out during flight, that mass is removed from the vessel. They get back in, their mass is added onto the vessel once more.

Either ShadowZone or Matt Lowne, don't remember which, specifically demonstrated in their video that adding or removing kerbals changes the vessel's weight right in the VAB. Saw it just now.

Edited by Fraktal

4 hours ago, EchoLima said:

These might be my two favorite changes. They were years in the waiting!

I think this one has them all beat:

* Don't put parachutes in the first (launchpad) stage by default.

We're all gonna have to unlearn checking our staging now... :D

6 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I think this one has them all beat:

* Don't put parachutes in the first (launchpad) stage by default.

We're all gonna have to unlearn checking our staging now... :D

Not just yet. I've had a lot of frustration over the fact that although the game does try to guess which stage a subassembly's engines should be in, Swivels are always placed in the first stage regardless of where they are. Not a good thing if it's in a second stage supposed to hotstage off the first stage...