Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

18 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Most interesting update in a while.  I look forward to the bug hunters digging into this and eventually playing 1.11.1.  Nice job so far.

So far it seems pretty solid. A few bugs have been found, but none of them seem to be game-breaking. And the fuel transfer bug has been fixed!

I've just been playing around with it in a stock install and hope to try it out in my main modded install once 1.11.1 comes out.

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

So far it seems pretty solid. A few bugs have been found, but none of them seem to be game-breaking. And the fuel transfer bug has been fixed!

I've just been playing around with it in a stock install and hope to try it out in my main modded install once 1.11.1 comes out.

Those who ignore history and all that.  I have patience.  If this still holds true in a few weeks, I'll give it a go.

7 hours ago, GKSP said:

For night-time flying, I'm definitely going to be keeping my lights on, but the landing gear light behavior is so jarring I almost don't want to.  When retracted, gear lights shine through the plane, and if the plane is flying inverted, they show up on the ground below.  Landing gears really need to have their lights automatically turn off if retracted.

This behavior has been there forever, though. It would be better to have landing gear lights go into their own action group, or have dedicated lamps to light the road under you and never use the wheels' lights.

Remove the landing gear light action from the Lights action group and put it in the Gear action group, make sure they’re on when you launch, and you’re good to go.  Not hard to write a Module Manager patch to make this the default setup for every landing gear part either.

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

What happened to the landed vessel anchor system you mentioned in the last KSP Loading? I can't find any mention of it in the changelog.

@Maxsimal @nestor @JPLRepo Can we get an answer to this? It seems like this feature would be really useful but I can't find any sign of it in the update.

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

Remove the landing gear light action from the Lights action group and put it in the Gear action group, make sure they’re on when you launch, and you’re good to go.  Not hard to write a Module Manager patch to make this the default setup for every landing gear part either.

In my 6 years of playing this game, I have absolutely no idea how I didn't think of this.  Thank you.

Just based on first impressions immediately after downloading the new release:

EVA construction mode is so much better than the KIS/KAS system, much easier to use and no massive pauses every time something gets added/removed. While it doesn't have the tubes/cables that KAS brings, overall it's a better system to work with and I like it very much.

The new 'EVA science' kit is nice, but so far I've only seen one action (playing golf), are there others available on other planets/moons? Either way it's good to have something else to while on an EVA and it seems to be reusable too?

Those helmet visors tried to sneak in under the radar, but they're a nice touch and look good.

New lights and light control systems are good, easy to use and understand. Obviously the light strips will be going on the bottom of every rover, ever, since it says that's definitely not its purpose :wink:. Everything looks better with neon underglow lighting!

The only issues I've seen so far are that Kerbals and vehicles (or at least the one that I quickly stuck together to test the new update) still slide around on terrain, and an unladen Kerbal can jump upwards at 4.5m/s which means they fall over when they land.

While I won't be doing a huge amount with 1.11 in the near future due to incompatible mods (the perennial curse of KSP updates) I will definitely be upgrading as soon as possible to make use of these excellent new features.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

I think this will be my last post about navlight bugs, this time containing a demonstrations.

The colors chosen do not appear to save with the .craft file, and reverting flight or loading the craft in the  editor shows the colors picked are reset to the default white.

Sorry for the mouse pointer not appearing, I forgot that tick box was not selected.

Edited by GKSP
addendum

I think a found a new bug:

The housing of the SP-L 1x6 and or the SP-W 3x2 does happen to appear half opened:

See here: https://imgur.com/6Tf6dyb

It's a bit immersion breaking. Can you please fix this in 1.11.1 ?

It tried out: It happens always when you switch to a vehicle with these modules (if they are retracted) . You can deploy them and retract them, and then they work correctly. But if you switch vehicles it's half opened again.

4 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Given the nature of this release I just had to start a new save.

Named "Intrepid Kerbal Exploration Agency."

Their logo is blue and yellow ...
(Meatballs might be used as snacks.)

So you can assemble your flat-packed rover with a laser welder instead of a hex key? :cool:

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Maxsimal @nestor @JPLRepo Can we get an answer to this? It seems like this feature would be really useful but I can't find any sign of it in the update.

The ground anchoring system is under the hood.  The game now anchors parts better to the ground to deal with some sliding issues that would happen, especially when you had light parts contacting the surface w/heavier parts attached to them, and was kind of an artifact of how things worked in PhysX.  

Edited by Maxsimal

2 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

The ground anchoring system is under the hood.  The game now anchors parts better to the ground to deal with some sliding issues that would happen, especially when you had light parts contacting the surface w/heavier parts attached to them, and was kind of an artifact of how things worked in PhysX.  

The anchoring needs to be applied to the torque vectors too!

Spoiler

Before:
102645886-ef653880-4141-11eb-9143-0c311c

later:
102645980-14f24200-4142-11eb-8d68-617b55

Source.

Just now, Maxsimal said:

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the information, why wasn't the system mentioned in the changelog? I was having some issues with Kerbals sliding when trying out the update yesterday, does the system apply to them?

It also seems like landing legs jitter a lot more with light craft since the update, so maybe that's also a side-effect, but it's nothing that can't be (mostly) be solved by fiddling with spring and damper settings.

2 hours ago, GKSP said:

I think this will be my last post about navlight bugs, this time containing a demonstrations.

The colors chosen do not appear to save with the .craft file, and reverting flight or loading the craft in the  editor shows the colors picked are reset to the default white.

Sorry for the mouse pointer not appearing, I forgot that tick box was not selected.

Seems bug reports should be minus mods, no?

Anyone seeing issues with parachutes not working?  I decided to start a new career game with 1.11, and doing the very first build, my parachutes will not engage.

• MK1 Command Pod
  • MK16 parachute
  • Flea booster

The simple build everyone uses as their first craft.  Fire the solid booster, arm the chute stage (which shows blue), but it never engages automatically.  It appears that the default Min Pressure value has been set too low.

8 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

It's not really the focus of this update, but I have a question about the Flag selection Menu.

I see that it changed and now has 2 extra categories (Agencies and Organisations).
Would it be possible to make custom Flag categories (assuming there is more necessary than just making another folder, which i already tried)or are we limited to the 3 we have now?

No you can’t sorry.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

The anchoring needs to be applied to the torque vectors too!

Hide contents

Before:
102645886-ef653880-4141-11eb-9143-0c311c

later:
102645980-14f24200-4142-11eb-8d68-617b55

Source.

The non-player visible (as we have now established) ground anchoring is an internal piece that we implemented to stop objects from sliding down slopes. It is applied to torque vectors. It is NOT applied to a vessel on wheels or landing legs. So your example is on wheels and does not get that internal vessel anchoring treatment.