Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

just spent the last 3 days getting back into kerbal space program and modding and fixing bugs for 1.10.1 only to find out 1.11 drops literally yesterday ;-;

i'll do what i usually do, wait a month for all the major bugs to get fixed (and mods to update) then get down to building stuff! hopefully this integrates well with KIS and KAS

38 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

No you can’t sorry.

The non-player visible (as we have now established) ground anchoring is an internal piece that we implemented to stop objects from sliding down slopes. It is applied to torque vectors. It is NOT applied to a vessel on wheels or landing legs. So your example is on wheels and does not get that internal vessel anchoring treatment.

So... if i land on landing legs then retract to be sitting on a tank or somesuch,  then the anchor gets applied?

1 hour ago, fragtzack said:

Seems bug reports should be minus mods, no?

It also occurs on vanilla installs, which I tested before I transferred them in a variety of configurations.  I only used the modded plane because I did some research on its navlights and knew there were a bunch that go on there and of different colors so I could get more data points.

15 minutes ago, Lach_01298 said:

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be anyway to unweld or move parts around. Is this planned or was it a deliberate design decision to not allow this? 

Just comparing this to KIS which allows these features.

You can remove parts and move them around. It's just like the VAB, you just have to click and drag to pick them up.

To move parts, you can either pick the part up and weld it somewhere else or use the offset tool (which can be accessed using the 2 key, same as in the VAB).

Anyone else experiencing issues with part mass / delta v? Specifically with Breaking Ground + Stock, fresh install. Either something's wrong with my install or I've run into a bug.

I was working on some craft that I imported from my 1.10.1 save and found that they seem to act much heavier or have significantly less delta-v than stated. From the VAB the mass is the same as before but the craft acts much differently in flight. Rovers sag into the ground, CoM is way off, rocket stages use more fuel to complete a burn, etc. I thought it might have something to do with kerbal mass, but my unmanned crafts are affected as well. 

Anyways, I did some testing and it feels like it has something to do with low-mass parts, low-mass Breaking Ground parts or Breaking Ground parts that have low mass parts attached. 

For testing I built a simple rocket, attached various parts to it, and Alt-F12'd it to space.  I then planned and performed a maneuver based on the rocket's stated delta-v in order to see how much delta-v it really had. Certain parts, like empty dumpling tanks, grip pads and small robotic hinges cause the rocket to lose a significant amount of delta-v. It gets worse with robotic parts that have low mass or physicsless parts attached to them. 

Some screenshots:

Spoiler

3gERrgs.png?1

Standard test rocket with no other parts attached. 1032m/s stated, 0.7m/s lost (insignificant / no loss).

0Ul9x9W.png?1

Two grip pads attached. 1029m/s stated, 34.6m/s lost.

Zi5VWoY.png?1

Alligator hinges + empty baguette tanks. 850m/s stated, 0.0m/s lost.

cVsIeHP.png?1

Alligator hinges + empty dumpling tanks. 868m/s stated, 14.7m/s lost.

fPQJ1m4.png?1

Alligator hinges + a bunch of flags. 863m/s stated, 58.7m/s lost.

All tests were also performed in 1.10.1, with insignificant/ no delta-v losses in all cases. 

If anyone can reproduce these results please let me know! If this is a bug hopefully we can get it sorted out by the next update.

Edited by tehmattguy
added some screenshots

3 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

My personal history over the past 8 years is that the bugs are never really as bad as the forum makes them out to be.

I've been around for the same period and remember terrain seams eating vehicles, solar panels blowing up when traveling through the Mk3 cargo bays, and wheels sending Kerbals into Kraken bait.  Never "unplayable" but constantly "did no one play test this?"

10 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

I had the same without any Kerbal at all. My science station on Vall I went to check to see the new textures, the flag fell down by itself on loading. (very slowly due to low gravity but still)

Yes me to.

Honestly kind of depressing.

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the information, why wasn't the system mentioned in the changelog? I was having some issues with Kerbals sliding when trying out the update yesterday, does the system apply to them?

It also seems like landing legs jitter a lot more with light craft since the update, so maybe that's also a side-effect, but it's nothing that can't be (mostly) be solved by fiddling with spring and damper settings.

It was an oversight in the change log. 

As JPLRepo says above, it doesn't apply to landing legs/wheels/landing gear.  I believe it doesn't touch Kerbals either, at least not in the case we know about them sliding in, that's a separate issue.  Not sure we've got anything for an issue with jittery landing legs, but there may be knock on effects from the ground anchor there anyway that we'll have to look at.

Edited by Maxsimal

6 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the information, why wasn't the system mentioned in the changelog? I was having some issues with Kerbals sliding when trying out the update yesterday, does the system apply to them?

There is a different system to stop kerbals from sliding, they should stick better to the ground when in a slope lower than 45 degrees if I recall correctly. It would be great if you could report the bug if you are seeing something different. 

TIL: if you send your engineer out to work on a craft in orbit, and job one is attach a ladder you had stored in cargo to make the task easier, then grab onto the ladder, then accidentally detach the ladder while holding the ladder:  you get flung away from the craft at 50m/s while holding the ladder.  Can't activate jetpack and fly back to the craft without dropping the ladder.  Fun! lol

On 12/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, neistridlar said:

You must not be familiar with the conventions for version numbers. It is not a regular decimal number, the period is simply a deliminator to separate major and minor versions. So 1.2 came out a long time ago. And 1.9 came before 1.10. 1.99 will come before 1.100 etc. 

Ah, that makes total sense now.  Thanks.

This doesn't quite seem a bug, more of a questionable design decision. Want to raise this  item in hopes of  fixing this design  decision to be consist with Kerbal history and also educate community who may wonder about this contract:

Accepted a career mode stock contract to "Attach a new part(Small radiator)  to a satellite in  orbit of Kerbin". The contract details specified the satellite name. So go into Tracking Station to look for the satellite and there is zero satellites (other then my own found). 

Well digging and poking around, discovered this named satellite for the contract is under the "Junk" category filter.   Seriously, come on guys. This is an inconsistent categorization decision in regards to  other stock contract missions  for interfacing with non-player originated objects. Not to mention illogical to in every angle of thought to put a new part on a piece of junk in space.

Edited by fragtzack

Came back to my KSP career just in time for this to drop, thanks, it looks awesome!

So I backed up the 1.10 folder and patched KSP/MH/BG up to 1.11, then went to catch up on my Joolian activities. 

Now none of my active crews appear to have EVA chutes, which is fine because I rarely use them. But worse, they don't have any jetpacks! They feel naked without those!

My install is modded but nothing  major, stock system and no KIS/KAS . Perhaps there's a one-time MM patch for sticking at least jetpacks in the inventory of all active crews? But I fear unintended consequences with that fix...

Anyways, this update is going to be fun to play with. Guess I'll be adding jetpacks to the supply ship(s) bringing logistic containers full of repair packs, EVA science, lights, etc. to Jool.

Edited by StrandedonEarth
spellimg

The ability to build things during a flight has been a feature I've been wanting for years. This has opened up so many different mission profiles it's super cool. As an example, I recently put up a science base on Minmus. It's been a long time since I'd played, so I had forgotten the finer points of science processing. I didn't have enough battery power. Before this update, this would have been a failed mission. However, with 1.11, I was able to send up an engineer with a few batteries and extra solar panels in stow. I was able to fix up my mistake, and now it looks kinda makeshift too, which is pretty cool. Great update fellas!

2PS4Ugk.png

Edited by AmpsterMan

A few things I noticed while playing around with the update this evening:

9P4qpHx.png

Kerbals can actually exceed their inventory volume limit. If they're carrying something big enough and then pick up a deployable part, they'll get a cool-looking big backpack. Picking up a deployable part is the only way I could find to do this, it won't let you put a part that would exceed the volume limit otherwise.

rR7B7Fj.png

Also, using the new EVA fuel canister it's possible for a Kerbal to reach low Mun orbit from the surface by themselves with plenty of dV left over. This could be good for low-mass missions that depend heavily on the EVA pack.

TlnsR6Z.png

Finally, Kerbals can stand on top of the work lamps. I'm not reporting this as a bug because it's too funny :P

23 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

You can remove parts and move them around. It's just like the VAB, you just have to click and drag to pick them up.

To move parts, you can either pick the part up and weld it somewhere else or use the offset tool (which can be accessed using the 2 key, same as in the VAB).

yeah your right, tried it again today and it worked. Strange, I swear I couldn't do that the last time I launched the game. Mabey it just a strange bug that happens sometimes and reloading the game solves it.

Found some bugs.

The welding animation with the laser does not play in most of my reconstruction attempts, even with correct orientation of my beloved kerbal to the construction site..

The housing of the 1x6 and 3x2 solar panels is partially opened upon each loading of the concerning vehicle with retracted solar panels (not in VAB, but on the live vehicle in action). You can open and close it and then it will work correct. But as soon, as you reload the vehicle, the hatch of the panel stands halfway open again.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:31 PM, Fraktal said:

Does that mean ship trajectories no longer lose long-range encounters when I engage warp?! :D

Sadly, my hopes got dashed just now. Set up an encounter with Minmus, engaged high warp without going to low warp first and my apoapse instantly dropped 18000 km on the spot.