Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

15 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

While on EVA, hit the 'I' key.

(You have to have an engineer though)

I've managed to get into construction mode, I've got an engineer on EVA, he's got his little welding torch out, I can select a part but when I got to place it on the craft it won't attach anywhere. I'm spamming the left mouse button but it does absolutely nothing, no matter where I click, no matter how close or far the engineer is away. RMB gives the context menu as normal; QWEASD rotate the part as per VAB/SPH.

I just want to attach a part to a craft - how do I do that?!

ETA: This is in career mode for a mission, using a 3-star engineer - is it something daft like you have to have a 5-star engineer in order to do this?

Edited by EpsilonSigmaAlpha

11 hours ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Only problem with that is that flag planting gives more XP

Fair point, though as I play sandbox with XP off it doesn't affect me.  If it did I would plant flags for the XP and deploy science anyway.  Then possibly take the flags down.

Having to watch a flag roll all the way down a mountain and come to a halt before I can switch to another vessel is a little frustrating.

8 hours ago, Fraktal said:

Anyone else ran into the garbage collector suddenly crashing and taking KSP with it while in the VAB? Never seen that before.

Check this thread:

There's a very good chance this is your problem. There's no solution at this time yet, but they are gathering intel to try to zero into the root problem.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:15 AM, Miguelsgamingch said:

This is totally not pain

It is not. KSP AVC has quite nice specific KSP version or specific mod override warnings capabilities. 

However, I don't think it is worth to update my modded game to 1.11

Because you know, there should always be KSP 1.x.1

Edited by evileye.x

20 hours ago, pmborg said:

Hello,

Thanks for the hint but the problem is not CraftManager, loading with or without CraftManager, for example  a previous saved game of KSP 1.10, will have the same result if the craft is on Launch Pad already.

If I roll back to steam for KSP 1.10.1 all will work again perfectly as before.

It doesnt matter that it works in 1.10.1 - your save is native to that.  What matters is why its not working in 1.11, and the way to do that is to check mod compatibility.  CM is not specifically listed as compatible with 1.11.  Any mod not specified to work with 1.11 by the author cannot be cleared of the possibility of introducing a failure (bug) under 1.11 until the author says so, or proven otherwise.  

That being said, this may actually be related to the bug in garbage collection mentioned above, so maybe just wait it out and keep an eye on that topic.  

12 hours ago, Fraktal said:

Anyone else ran into the garbage collector suddenly crashing and taking KSP with it while in the VAB? Never seen that before.

If you think it is not related to that bug then read on (in the spoiler below), otherwise just skip it.

Spoiler

So you're saying you  get the same thing with 1.11 whether or not CM is loaded?  Does it do the same thing in a clean (stock) install when you load the same save, if possible? In that case its possibly a KSP bug - but you cannot eliminate the possible bugs from alterations by mods/addons that are embedded in your modded 1.10.1 save.   Thats why I was recommending the with/without test.  Try starting a clean game, replicate the ship on the pad, and see if that errors out.  Then try with CM loaded, etc.

If you can't  replicate that crash in a clean environment, then its likely related to one of the mods, and you'll need to follow the directions in that other link I put earlier.  Just telling you that from a developer standpoint a modded save having a bug is considered generally not a KSP bug unless you can replicate with a clean install (no mods).  My bet is something in the previous save doesn't function in 1.11 due to the new mass items, and one or more mods being out of date.  Thats the most common cause of a broken save - mod changes vs the game.  Start by reporting the bug to the mod makers that are in the trace, in order to let the mod developer eliminate it as a source of the problem.  And be sure to include Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log,  output_log , and in this case the save file (load them to a file-sharing service and put the links in the bug report), dont forget detailed replication steps, and a list of all mods installed with their version numbers. Note that CKAN is useful for version numbers and highest compatible version -- even if you dont use it for install/updates,  the list of mod data they have is pretty comprehensive, and theuir search and filters are very nice for this sort of thing.   So follow the instructions in the earlier linked sticky forum post to make sure you've isolated the issue for quicker resolution. If the dev sees no error in his mod, they can often point you to another mod with this as a known problem; if there is a problem with KSP,  they will often file the bug report that's causing their app to fail, and sometimes will have a workaround as well. It helps a lot of people if you help the mod author either spot the error or else clear their mod as a source.

If you do manage to replicate it with a clean install no-mod install in 1.11 (with that save), then do a KSP bug report in the main 1.11 bug ,simply follow the instructions here (and add on the save file):

Hope that clarifies things.

Edited by Murdabenne
clarification

2 hours ago, Fraktal said:

I find it somewhat weird that bug report guys keep asking for output_log while mine hasn't been updated since October 2019 and KSP's crashes stopped making their own folders around 2018. Only players.log is up-to-date.

That's because output.log moved.

Specifically:

If KSP doesn't crash, start KSP and cause the problem. Quit KSP and find the output_log.txt (not the KSP.log) at the location below:

KSP versions 1.3.1 and below:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt -OR- KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt (depending on which used)
    - In case you installed KSP into a Windows protected directory (C:\Users, C:\Program Files or C:\Windows\ and their subfolders) the output log file may be stored in the folder called C:\Users\[username]\Appdata, this folder is usually hidden so you should enable the view hidden folders option (more information). Note that for the demo you should find the output_log.txt file located in the KSP_Data folder.
    - Steam users should right click KSP in Steam, click on Properties, then in the Properties box, click Local Files, then Browse Local Files.
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
  • Linux: The log is written to /home/user/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

KSP versions 1.4.0 through 1.7.3:

• Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt
    - This folder is usually hidden so you should enable the view hidden folders option (more information).
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
  • Linux: The log is written to ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

KSP versions 1.8.0 and above:

• Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\Player.log
    - This folder is usually hidden so you should enable the view hidden folders option (more information).
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'Reports'. Scroll down the list and find the one which says "Log Reports", click that.  A list of files will be displayed in the top part of the window, in there will be Player.Log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log ).  Right-click on it and select "Reveal in Finder".
  • Linux: The log is written to ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

Edited by Superfluous J

I'm a purist, no mods just all the expansions and a long complex career mode.  With flights on the way to pretty much every body, I just rendezvoused with a comet, sent my scientist to collect a sample and he's now floating away with no jet pack.  Why didn't you provide default equipment to existing flights? Any way to roll back to an older version on steam?

17 minutes ago, Richard Deckard said:

... he's now floating away with no jet pack.

That is terrible. Maybe EVA another Kerbal and try to bump him back to the ship?

As for previous versions, you can roll them back on steam or you can copy your install somewhere else and always play the version you want. KSP works independend from steam. Many players keep playing old installs and have steam update their steam install, grab copies of those new versions as time goes by and eventually start playing a new version once a worthwile one comes about.

Hi everyone.

I have a few  questions about the new EVA construction system that I don't think I've seen mentioned elsewhere of the  forum that I hope someone can answer for me.

1) Can Kerbals use the new system while in an external command seat? I have an idea of either making something like NASA's MMU with built in inventory storage or something like the space shuttle robotic arm attached to a space station for orbital construction without the Kerbals floating off.

2) Can the system be used to join two or more separate craft together? I have another idea about building a refueling depot from the fuel tanks of a large rocket, and if craft can be joined together it would simplify things.

3) Is it possible to use the new system to set action groups outside of the VAP or spaceplane hanger? I don't think I need to elaborate on the possibilities this would allow.

22 minutes ago, Star-Eagle said:

Hi everyone.

I have a few  questions about the new EVA construction system that I don't think I've seen mentioned elsewhere of the  forum that I hope someone can answer for me.

1) Can Kerbals use the new system while in an external command seat? I have an idea of either making something like NASA's MMU with built in inventory storage or something like the space shuttle robotic arm attached to a space station for orbital construction without the Kerbals floating off.

2) Can the system be used to join two or more separate craft together? I have another idea about building a refueling depot from the fuel tanks of a large rocket, and if craft can be joined together it would simplify things.

3) Is it possible to use the new system to set action groups outside of the VAP or spaceplane hanger? I don't think I need to elaborate on the possibilities this would allow.

1) No. But you can do it while on ladders though.
2) No. 
3) This was already possible before the update. 

3 hours ago, Richard Deckard said:

I'm a purist, no mods just all the expansions and a long complex career mode.  With flights on the way to pretty much every body, I just rendezvoused with a comet, sent my scientist to collect a sample and he's now floating away with no jet pack.  Why didn't you provide default equipment to existing flights? Any way to roll back to an older version on steam?

It you dig around the save folder through file explorer, you should find a backup folder of older/backup saves. Move the older one into the main save folder with your other saves then load it from on the game.  
I co recommend the mod Kerbal Alarm Clock enough , it’s the first mod I ever got and makes some backup saves of its own. It’s created by a KSP dev, TriggerAU, and should be stock IMO 

The Dated Quicksave mod also makes copies of past quick saves to load with altF9

I realize you may not like mods, but those are essential 

5 hours ago, Richard Deckard said:

Could you launch a small probe with a jet pack stowed on it, use Alt F12 to 'rendezvous ' with him and he can grab the jetpack? You can then delete the probe.  A bit 'cheaty'maybe, but not a lot different to quickloading after a bug glitch.

21 hours ago, Richard Deckard said:

Same for me. in my career game I found out that all my brave Kerbals have been stripped off their jetpacks. Which is kinda annoying if yor Jeb and Val are out there in a remote station orbiting around a distant planet. So, I resolved not to comply with my otherwise strict policy of never editing the savefile. After all, this is done with the good intention of restoring the original status after an unphysical change introduced by the upgrade.
This is my procedure
1) Backup your game
2) Check you backup your game
3) Did I tell you to backup your game?
4) After backuping your game, open your *.sfs file (usually persistent.sfs, or whatever is the save you want to play with) with your text editor of choice
5) Go to the ROSTER section and search for the kerbonaut(s) you want to equip with a jetpack (Tanger Kerman in the example). 
KSP saves the Kerbonaut INVENTORY between the EVACHUTE and the CAREER_LOG subsections. The EVACHUTE subsection is always present in my savefile, even if the Kerbal is not equipped with the chute

Spoiler

KERBAL
        {
            name = Tanger Kerman
            gender = Male
            type = Crew
            trait = Scientist
            brave = 0.230993569
            dumb = 0.80085355
            badS = False
            veteran = False
            tour = False
            state = Assigned
            inactive = False
            inactiveTimeEnd = 0
            gExperienced = 0
            outDueToG = False
            ToD = 0
            idx = 0
            extraXP = 0
            hasHelmetOn = False
            hasNeckRingOn = True
            hasVisorDown = False
            lightR = 1
            lightG = 0.5176
            lightB = 0
            completedFirstEVA = True
            suit = Default
            hero = False
            EVACHUTE
            {
                name = ModuleEvaChute
                isEnabled = True
                chuteYawRateAtMaxSpeed = 1
                chuteMaxSpeedForYawRate = 50
                chuteYawRateAtMinSpeed = 1
                chuteMinSpeedForYawRate = 1
                chuteRollRate = 1
                chutePitchRate = 1
                chuteDefaultForwardPitch = 9
                semiDeployedChuteForwardPitch = 25
                chutePitchRateDivisorWhenTurning = 1
                chuteRollRateDivisorWhenPitching = 1
                chuteYawRateDivisorWhenPitching = 1
                persistentState = STOWED
                animTime = 0
                minAirPressureToOpen = 0.0399999991
                deployAltitude = 1000
                spreadAngle = 7
                automateSafeDeploy = 0
                stagingEnabled = False
                EVENTS
                {
                }
                ACTIONS
                {
                    DeployAction
                    {
                        actionGroup = None
                        wasActiveBeforePartWasAdjusted = False
                    }
                    CutAction
                    {
                        actionGroup = None
                    }
                }
                UPGRADESAPPLIED
                {
                }
            }

PLACE INVENTORY SUBSECTION HERE

CAREER_LOG
            {
                flight = 7
                0 = ExitVessel,Kerbin
                0 = Orbit,Kerbin
                0 = BoardVessel,Kerbin
                0 = Suborbit,Kerbin
                0 = Flight,Kerbin
                0 = Land,Kerbin
                0 = Recover
                1 = Land,Kerbin
                1 = ExitVessel,Kerbin
                1 = BoardVessel,Kerbin
                1 = Recover
                2 = Land,Kerbin
                2 = Flight,Kerbin
                2 = Recover
                3 = Land,Kerbin
                3 = Recover
                4 = ExitVessel,Kerbin
                4 = Land,Kerbin
                4 = Flight,Kerbin
                4 = BoardVessel,Kerbin
                4 = Recover
                5 = Flight,Kerbin
                5 = Suborbit,Kerbin
                5 = Orbit,Kerbin
                5 = Flyby,Minmus
                5 = Orbit,Minmus
                5 = Suborbit,Minmus
                5 = Land,Minmus
                5 = ExitVessel,Minmus
                5 = BoardVessel,Minmus
                6 = ExitVessel,Minmus
                6 = Land,Minmus
                6 = BoardVessel,Minmus
                6 = Suborbit,Minmus
                6 = PlantFlag,Minmus
            }
            FLIGHT_LOG
            {
                flight = 7
                7 = ExitVessel,Minmus
                7 = Land,Minmus
                7 = Suborbit,Minmus
                7 = BoardVessel,Minmus
                7 = Orbit,Minmus
            }
        }

6) So, locate the end of the EVACHUTE subsection (the last brace before the beginning of the CAREER_LOG subsection)
7) Cut the new INVENTORY subsection below and paste in that position.

Spoiler

INVENTORY
            {
                name = ModuleInventoryPart
                isEnabled = True
                stagingEnabled = True
                inventory = evaJetpack
                EVENTS
                {
                }
                ACTIONS
                {
                }
                STOREDPARTS
                {
                    STOREDPART
                    {
                        slotIndex = 1
                        partName = evaJetpack
                        quantity = 1
                        stackCapacity = 1
                        variantName = 
                        PART
                        {
                            name = evaJetpack
                            cid = 4294892170
                            uid = 0
                            mid = 0
                            persistentId = 201112746
                            launchID = 0
                            parent = 0
                            position = 0,0,0
                            rotation = 0,0,0,0
                            mirror = 1,1,1
                            symMethod = Radial
                            istg = 0
                            resPri = 2
                            dstg = 0
                            sqor = -1
                            sepI = 0
                            sidx = -1
                            attm = 0
                            sameVesselCollision = False
                            srfN = None, -1
                            mass = 0.0199999996
                            shielded = False
                            temp = -1
                            tempExt = 0
                            tempExtUnexp = 0
                            staticPressureAtm = 0
                            expt = 0.5
                            state = 0
                            PreFailState = 0
                            attached = True
                            autostrutMode = Off
                            rigidAttachment = False
                            flag = 
                            rTrf = evaJetpack
                            modCost = 0
                            modMass = 0
                            moduleVariantName = 
                            moduleCargoStackableQuantity = 1
                            EVENTS
                            {
                            }
                            ACTIONS
                            {
                                ToggleSameVesselInteraction
                                {
                                    actionGroup = None
                                }
                                SetSameVesselInteraction
                                {
                                    actionGroup = None
                                }
                                RemoveSameVesselInteraction
                                {
                                    actionGroup = None
                                }
                            }
                            PARTDATA
                            {
                            }
                            MODULE
                            {
                                name = ModuleCargoPart
                                isEnabled = True
                                beingAttached = False
                                beingSettled = False
                                stagingEnabled = True
                                EVENTS
                                {
                                }
                                ACTIONS
                                {
                                }
                                UPGRADESAPPLIED
                                {
                                }
                            }
                            RESOURCE
                            {
                                name = EVA Propellant
                                amount = 5
                                maxAmount = 5
                                flowState = True
                                isTweakable = False
                                hideFlow = False
                                isVisible = True
                                flowMode = Both
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
                UPGRADESAPPLIED
                {
                }
            }

In my save file, some Kerbals were given an empty INVENTORY. In that case, overwrite the new INVENTORY.
The final KERBAL

Spoiler

KERBAL
        {
            name = Tanger Kerman
            gender = Male
            type = Crew
            trait = Scientist
            brave = 0.230993569
            dumb = 0.80085355
            badS = False
            veteran = False
            tour = False
            state = Assigned
            inactive = False
            inactiveTimeEnd = 0
            gExperienced = 0
            outDueToG = False
            ToD = 0
            idx = 0
            extraXP = 0
            hasHelmetOn = False
            hasNeckRingOn = True
            hasVisorDown = False
            lightR = 1
            lightG = 0.5176
            lightB = 0
            completedFirstEVA = True
            suit = Default
            hero = False
            EVACHUTE
            {
                name = ModuleEvaChute
                isEnabled = True
                chuteYawRateAtMaxSpeed = 1
                chuteMaxSpeedForYawRate = 50
                chuteYawRateAtMinSpeed = 1
                chuteMinSpeedForYawRate = 1
                chuteRollRate = 1
                chutePitchRate = 1
                chuteDefaultForwardPitch = 9
                semiDeployedChuteForwardPitch = 25
                chutePitchRateDivisorWhenTurning = 1
                chuteRollRateDivisorWhenPitching = 1
                chuteYawRateDivisorWhenPitching = 1
                persistentState = STOWED
                animTime = 0
                minAirPressureToOpen = 0.0399999991
                deployAltitude = 1000
                spreadAngle = 7
                automateSafeDeploy = 0
                stagingEnabled = False
                EVENTS
                {
                }
                ACTIONS
                {
                    DeployAction
                    {
                        actionGroup = None
                    }
                    CutAction
                    {
                        actionGroup = None
                    }
                }
                UPGRADESAPPLIED
                {
                }
            }
            INVENTORY
            {
                name = ModuleInventoryPart
                isEnabled = True
                stagingEnabled = True
                inventory = evaJetpack
                EVENTS
                {
                }
                ACTIONS
                {
                }
                STOREDPARTS
                {
                    STOREDPART
                    {
                        slotIndex = 1
                        partName = evaJetpack
                        quantity = 1
                        stackCapacity = 1
                        variantName = 
                        PART
                        {
                            name = evaJetpack
                            cid = 4294892170
                            uid = 0
                            mid = 0
                            persistentId = 2332527910
                            launchID = 0
                            parent = 0
                            position = 0,0,0
                            rotation = 0,0,0,0
                            mirror = 1,1,1
                            symMethod = Radial
                            istg = 0
                            resPri = 2
                            dstg = 0
                            sqor = -1
                            sepI = 0
                            sidx = -1
                            attm = 0
                            sameVesselCollision = False
                            srfN = None, -1
                            mass = 0.0199999996
                            shielded = False
                            temp = -1
                            tempExt = 0
                            tempExtUnexp = 0
                            staticPressureAtm = 0
                            expt = 0.5
                            state = 0
                            PreFailState = 0
                            attached = True
                            autostrutMode = Off
                            rigidAttachment = False
                            flag = 
                            rTrf = evaJetpack
                            modCost = 0
                            modMass = 0
                            moduleVariantName = 
                            moduleCargoStackableQuantity = 1
                            EVENTS
                            {
                            }
                            ACTIONS
                            {
                                ToggleSameVesselInteraction
                                {
                                    actionGroup = None
                                }
                                SetSameVesselInteraction
                                {
                                    actionGroup = None
                                }
                                RemoveSameVesselInteraction
                                {
                                    actionGroup = None
                                }
                            }
                            PARTDATA
                            {
                            }
                            MODULE
                            {
                                name = ModuleCargoPart
                                isEnabled = True
                                beingAttached = False
                                beingSettled = False
                                stagingEnabled = True
                                EVENTS
                                {
                                }
                                ACTIONS
                                {
                                }
                                UPGRADESAPPLIED
                                {
                                }
                            }
                            RESOURCE
                            {
                                name = EVA Propellant
                                amount = 5
                                maxAmount = 5
                                flowState = True
                                isTweakable = False
                                hideFlow = False
                                isVisible = True
                                flowMode = Both
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
                UPGRADESAPPLIED
                {
                }
            }
            CAREER_LOG
            {
                flight = 7
                0 = ExitVessel,Kerbin
                0 = Orbit,Kerbin
                0 = BoardVessel,Kerbin
                0 = Suborbit,Kerbin
                0 = Flight,Kerbin
                0 = Land,Kerbin
                0 = Recover
                1 = Land,Kerbin
                1 = ExitVessel,Kerbin
                1 = BoardVessel,Kerbin
                1 = Recover
                2 = Land,Kerbin
                2 = Flight,Kerbin
                2 = Recover
                3 = Land,Kerbin
                3 = Recover
                4 = ExitVessel,Kerbin
                4 = Land,Kerbin
                4 = Flight,Kerbin
                4 = BoardVessel,Kerbin
                4 = Recover
                5 = Flight,Kerbin
                5 = Suborbit,Kerbin
                5 = Orbit,Kerbin
                5 = Flyby,Minmus
                5 = Orbit,Minmus
                5 = Suborbit,Minmus
                5 = Land,Minmus
                5 = ExitVessel,Minmus
                5 = BoardVessel,Minmus
                6 = ExitVessel,Minmus
                6 = Land,Minmus
                6 = BoardVessel,Minmus
                6 = Suborbit,Minmus
                6 = PlantFlag,Minmus
            }
            FLIGHT_LOG
            {
                flight = 7
                7 = ExitVessel,Minmus
                7 = Land,Minmus
                7 = Suborbit,Minmus
                7 = BoardVessel,Minmus
                7 = Orbit,Minmus
            }
        }

8) Save the *.sfs file.
9) Load your game and (hopefully) happily buzz around with your jetpack
10) Hope this may help, it worked for me. 

On 12/17/2020 at 8:34 PM, IncompetentSpacer said:

Hmmm. Wanted to test this update but first I was hit by "hatch is blocked" message. Wonder whether this is related to this update.

It is reletad. But You can use crew transfer - EVA. Kerbals just get snacks and cant fit inside old hatches :)

On 12/17/2020 at 10:04 PM, TBenz said:

This means we got Quadruple precision, right?

Every micron is important in such a tiny space :)

On 12/17/2020 at 9:07 PM, Matuchkin said:

We had our Infernal Robotics and Tantares DLCs, now we have our KAS/KIS update.

But I keep KIS/KAS - it is good and reliable.

4 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

It is reletad. But You can use crew transfer - EVA. Kerbals just get snacks and cant fit inside old hatches :)

Yeah, I found walkaround with transfer option by pure chance (there is a thread about that).  The problem itself was related to the potential clipping by large scanning arm on a rover attached near the command pod. Hard to explain but if you took the design in VAB and then used menu option to show the scanning range of the arm it would cover the command pod too.

16 minutes ago, IncompetentSpacer said:

The problem itself was related to the potential clipping

There is more such issues - I have a rover that to make it look good science lab is composed with mh cabin on one side and crew cabin on the other - it works till 1.10 update. Now I have to get out and walk around to transfer crew, because crew transfer do not work there any longer.

25 minutes ago, IncompetentSpacer said:

Does anyone know if EVA repair packs are one time use? I had a mission of repairing satellite around minimus and then repairing a satellite around Mun and I used same rocket and crew to take on those two jobs (plus some other stuff). After being done at minimus I headed to Mun and discovered that repair pack was gone...

Repair kits are consumed when you repair something.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:06 PM, Star-Eagle said:

Hi everyone.

Q2: as @dok_377 already said, no. But, if I'm understanding what you want to do, a way to make it rather closer to a "yes" would be to bring along a couple of docking ports (or a Klaw) and stick them onto both (or one) craft and then stick 'em together after exiting the construction mode.

On 12/21/2020 at 3:30 PM, Richard Deckard said:

A  few people have been saying this and I'm really confused about what might be different for them. My existing (long-standing) flights haven't been bitten by this issue - all of them still have their chutes and jetpacks.

Anyone else feel like the change for jetpack to be an inventory item, and a substantial one at that, is a little too punishing? I would rather have one inventory slot than two slots that can usually only fit one item, and often at the expense of the jetpack... 

Nope, I’m quite happy to have two slots. It will speed up establishing deployed science stations when they need to be out of right-click range of the ship. And at times I’m going to love the mass savings of omitting them.  And a crew of 10, why would you need more than say 2-3 jet packs? More options are good. 

1 hour ago, quazarz said:

Anyone else feel like the change for jetpack to be an inventory item, and a substantial one at that, is a little too punishing? I would rather have one inventory slot than two slots that can usually only fit one item, and often at the expense of the jetpack... 

Well I will be looking into making a MM patch to move the Jet packs to a higher tech level. Early career mode EVA should be more challenging. Might move the small handlebar ladder down on tech tree so Jeb has something to hold on.  "Wont that be fun ":D