Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

9 hours ago, Rakete said:

And some more.

• Kerbals on  a ladder accerlerate the vehicle in space. Change of orbit is the result. Makes repairs/field construction complicated/problematic https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26908 Please fix this, as it changes the precisely  chosen orbit of my lovely spacestation every time (yeah.... kinda mister Monk, if you know the tv series).
  • Hatches of the solarmodules (those with housing) are partially opened after every loading the vehicle (not in VAB/SPH, but in flight), (if they are retracted) - for me a real visual disturbance and a real immersion breaker (my beloved kerbals don't forget to close hatches properly and if hatches are halfway opened, things would boil inside during a hot ride from or to space).... PLEASE, PLEASE FIX THIS  IN 1.11.1  https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26879
  • The new lights don't remember their colorsetting and revert to white randomly, but very often.
  • Missing undock-option of dockingports in actionsgroups, so that i can't assign an action group to undock a vessel from a spacestation anymore (the remaining uncouple-option only sets parts free, which were connected to the port during construction!) This change was a mistake. Please revert this change. https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26887
  • And there are some mass issues on light physicless parts
  • Landinggear always lit up - another visual disturbance on me fleet of spaceplanes, as those lights even shine on through on retracted landing gear  https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26857

From my point of view these bugs are the most nasty / disturbing ones, that require a nice fix.

This thread is not a bug reporting thread. Please raise bugs on the bug tracker so they can be triaged by QA team.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Is anyone else finding they load up with all sorts of extra 'stuff' in the cargo containers 'just in case it comes in handy'?  Then before you realise it you've added 500kg mass.

A bit like my wife packing shoes and stuff to go on holiday, it's not so much a baggage limit, more of a 'challenge'.

30 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Is anyone else finding they load up with all sorts of extra 'stuff' in the cargo containers 'just in case it comes in handy'?

Yes, and they are. I test thing enar on da Mun and then select what to send to other locations.

It turn out that repairing kit is important on Eve and there is nothing like "to many" for skid wheels. And KIS/KAS fuel lines are just a musthave for any base to avoid micromanaging Kraken.

30 minutes ago, pandaman said:

A bit like my wife packing shoes and stuff to go on holiday, it's not so much a baggage limit, more of a 'challenge'.

Wife is always a chalenge. Especialy if he start asking about whois Valentina.

Edited by vv3k70r

On 12/22/2020 at 9:17 PM, quazarz said:

Have you tried this yet or is it just theoretical? Because the deployable parts all have too much mass to carry more than one of them at a time.

Some of the comments on it earlier made me want to say that it was tied to weight, not mass, and volume.  In either case, a quick test while orbiting Kerbin says it is mass, and volume renders the discussion pointless. At 40 liters of volume available to a Kerbal, and the smallest deployable science item taking 25 liters of space, you would only be able to fit one on the back of your kerbal anyway.

16 hours ago, pandaman said:

Is anyone else finding they load up with all sorts of extra 'stuff' in the cargo containers 'just in case it comes in handy'?  Then before you realise it you've added 500kg mass.

A bit, but I've managed to keep that sort of thing to space stations. The HitchHiker just SCREAMS to be packed with junk.

"But what if I NEED a third ladder!?

On 12/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, JPLRepo said:

This thread is not a bug reporting thread. Please raise bugs on the bug tracker

No disrespect to you or your fine and dedicated coworkers, but last I checked, my paycheck isn't signed by a multinational software developer, so I politely decline to do free work for them.

This year, Take-Two had an operating budget of $1.12 BILLION dollars (https://ir.take2games.com/static-files/6b111d0a-2dbb-4fce-ac78-146292ee7e25) --Of which, Private Division gets a fraction--Of which, your department gets a fraction. That might be a mighty small denominator, but the numerator is...considerable. (I won't even discuss the $2 Billion cash-on hand, this year's doubling of the stock price, and the 50% profit margin.) Perhaps some bean-counter somewhere can un-pucker and allocate some of that $Billion+ to hiring an additional QA person or two to scour the forums.

Ultimately, doing uncompensated work means someone doesn't get a paycheck, and I'm not a thief, nor is the parent corporation a charity.

37 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

No disrespect to you or your fine and dedicated coworkers, but last I checked, my paycheck isn't signed by a multinational software developer, so I politely decline to do free work for them.

So you'd rather have the bug remain unfixed, than do the work for free?

Not complaining, just asking an honest question. I personally would rather get the bug fixed than quibble over the - very little - work involved.

It just seems to be the way things are now though. Companies sell faulty products and it seems to be the norm that we just have to suck it up. Most game companies seem comfortable with releasing unfinished products with a policy of "sell it now, [maybe] fix it later". We've become accustomed to accepting games in their current state on the hope that one day they'll get round to fixing it. I've come to accept this as the norm (I also play Dayz!). 

As for the bug tracker, it's a complete joke. I reported a bug on there the other day and was told the bug was closed because 'he' didn't have an xbox to test it on. 

45 minutes ago, ConArt70 said:

As for the bug tracker, it's a complete joke. I reported a bug on there the other day and was told the bug was closed because 'he' didn't have an xbox to test it on.

Huh, I looked through the Xbox, closed, and then all recent bugs and didn't see it. What's the bug number?

Note I don't work for them I'm just curious what circumstances would cause them to close a bug in that manner. I've had pretty good experiences with the bug tracker, though I also have several bugs that have been open for years.

Edited by Superfluous J

2 hours ago, FleshJeb said:
On 12/28/2020 at 10:14 PM, JPLRepo said:

Nobody is asking you to fix it,  just report it properly so as to bring it to the attention of those who are are paid to fix it.

Many bugs and glitches can be very obscure and may only happen when a specific set of events occurs.  If you discover one, and can provide these details it can help enormously.  Yes it can sometimes take time to do it effectively, but without that information the 'fixers' may not even be able to find it 

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

Huh, I looked through the Xbox, closed, and then all recent bugs and didn't see it. What's the bug number?

Note I don't work for them I'm just curious what circumstances would cause them to close a bug in that manner. I've had pretty good experiences with the bug tracker, though I also have several bugs that have been open for years.

22 minutes ago, ConArt70 said:

That is not the developers of the game's page. That's a page for Lua Multiplayer. If you have a problem with their mod (on an Xbox? Can it load mods?) and they're not willing to devote their spare time to you then you're out of luck. That's the way mods work.

If you're not having a problem with their mod, go to the official KSP bug site as @RealKerbal3x suggests and report the bug there.

Or do as @FleshJeb suggests and just don't do anything and maybe it'll never get fixed. :D

10 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

That is not the developers of the game's page. That's a page for Lua Multiplayer. If you have a problem with their mod (on an Xbox? Can it load mods?) and they're not willing to devote their spare time to you then you're out of luck. That's the way mods work.

If you're not having a problem with their mod, go to the official KSP bug site as @RealKerbal3x suggests and report the bug there.

Or do as @FleshJeb suggests and just don't do anything and maybe it'll never get fixed. :D

Ah, that was a link someone on here gave me. Makes sense now. 

4 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Two IPAs and an empty stomach and I turn into Karl Marx. :rolleyes:

The key point that I forgot to express is that the bug tracker is terrible, and causes extra work for the end user. As evidenced by this thread, it confuses people. I’m not against reporting bugs.

Compare and contrast: https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=7

1 minute ago, FleshJeb said:

Two IPAs and an empty stomach and I turn into Karl Marx. :rolleyes:

The key point that I forgot to express is that the bug tracker is terrible, and causes extra work for the end user. As evidenced by this thread, it confuses people. I’m not against reporting bugs.

Compare and contrast: https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=7

In what way is the bug tracker terrible? I've never had issues with it, it's fairly straightforward to report a bug.

In fact, I think the main problem is that many people don't know it exists, as shown by the bug reports scattered throughout this thread.

Something I was wondering about. Not a bug, just a thought. Is there mechanically no way to tie part availability to facility upgrades?

Because in a new 1.11 career game, removing the rank requirement of parachutes and allowing kerbals to equip them right away is nice - but even if you equip them with a parachute, they can't actually USE that parachute in an actual emergency situation because the game won't let them bail out in mid-air until the Astronaut Complex is upgraded. So as paradoxical as it sounds, a personal parachute is dead weight until you explicitly pay for it to be otherwise. What's the point of even putting it on the Start node, then?

Also, another thought that came to me while I was writing this, this one might be a bug: kerbals with an empty inventory are no longer capable of landing on their feet on Kerbin even if they jump straight up with no horizontal velocity whatsoever because the mass reduction causes them to jump so high that upon landing, the game force-ragdolls them from hitting the ground too hard. That definitely shouldn't happen. Auto-ragdoll velocity should be raised (and I always thought it was ridiculously sensitive anyway).

23 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

In what way is the bug tracker terrible? I've never had issues with it, it's fairly straightforward to report a bug.

In fact, I think the main problem is that many people don't know it exists, as shown by the bug reports scattered throughout this thread.

Yes, that would be my primary critique of it. It also suffers from yet-another-interface, and yet-another-login. I suppose you could argue that the extra effort increases the average quality of bug reporting, at the expense of quantity,

On 12/28/2020 at 10:14 PM, JPLRepo said:

This thread is not a bug reporting thread. Please raise bugs on the bug tracker so they can be triaged by QA team.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

This request confuses me. The text you quoted from @Rakete actually contains links to 4 already-reported bugs on the tracker - perhaps you were in an hurry and didn't notice the links?

5 hours ago, Neilski said:

This request confuses me. The text you quoted from @Rakete actually contains links to 4 already-reported bugs on the tracker - perhaps you were in an hurry and didn't notice the links?

That's because when I replied there were no links. The original post was edited to add links to some of the issues that were in the post after my post and the subsequent follow on comments in the thread.

The devs do not have the time to scan all the posts on the forum in search of people announcing that they've encountered bugs. Fair or not, if you expect bugs to be fixed you have to see to it that they're reported properly. Grousing at the devs about that won't change the reality of it. But that is not the subject of this thread, so let's please get back to talking about the update itself.