Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

I feel like we missing a recent ''stable'' version of the game that we can roll back when new bugs appear.

At this point with so much new stuff added, which is amazing, you would need to miss a lot of cool things if you want to roll back far enough to a mostly ''perfect version''.

Not complaining, i love all this attention my favorite game gets, its just how it feels to me.

Maybe in the near future we will get a patch just focused on squishing all these bugs that are not game breaking but they are....kinda...

Edited by Boyster

9 minutes ago, Boyster said:

I feel like we missing a recent ''stable'' version of the game that we can roll back when new bugs appear.

At this point with so much new stuff added, which is amazing, you would need to miss a lot of cool things if you want to roll back far enough to a mostly ''perfect version''.

Not complaining, i love all this attention my favorite game gets, its just how it feels to me.

Maybe in the near future we will get a patch just focused on squishing all these bugs that are not game breaking but they are....kinda...

IMO at this point the closest we have to that stable dream version is KSP 1.8.1 with all the mods to add the stuff that has been added to the stock game in the meantime (and more) and some mods to fix some bugs/shortcomings. Or even 1.3.1 if you will.

A new KSP version with the focus entirely on bug fixes is what this community here has been asking for ever since 1.0.0. Maybe one day somebody will listen?

6 hours ago, Dafni said:

A new KSP version with the focus entirely on bug fixes is what this community here has been asking for ever since 1.0.0. Maybe one day somebody will listen?

Well, they've only got a couple of body retextures left to do which will complete the promised stock texture revamp. Who knows what other feature additions they have planned though (there's a couple I can think of which the community has been somewhat loud about..). So maybe after that things will calm down a bit for a pure stability release?

Texture revamp.... you may call them so, but even revamped planets look like graphics from 25 years ago. Sorry to say so, but KSP shines in other things than great planet textures.

Maybe a graphics overhaul for Kerbin/Duna/Eve would be a thing - in form of an "ultra + "setting in the graphics options. With clouds, nice haze and so on, to make them look 2010's graphics, not 1998's. Implemented in a proper way, so that there are no artifacts and strange graphical side effects (due to third party mod implementation - would also be good for people, who don't trust mods or play on consoles - even a ps4 should have enough power too calculate some simple not to complex clouds).

Matt Lowne showed in one of his videos a graphics mod with tessalation. This is what I would call a graphical revamp. (but if done in  stock, it should be optional for the guys on weaker systems... an "ultra+ deluxe fancy" setting...)

Edited by Rakete

23 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

That's because when I replied there were no links. The original post was edited to add links to some of the issues that were in the post after my post and the subsequent follow on comments in the thread.

But (a) the edit timestamp is before your post and (b) the links are literally in the text you quoted in your post ;):) Unless the forum software is behaving really weirdly, your post would not be modified by someone updating their own post.

21 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

The devs do not have the time to scan all the posts on the forum in search of people announcing that they've encountered bugs. Fair or not, if you expect bugs to be fixed you have to see to it that they're reported properly. Grousing at the devs about that won't change the reality of it. But that is not the subject of this thread, so let's please get back to talking about the update itself. 

I absolutely agree that there's only one right way to report bugs - on the tracker - and I wasn't seeing much grousing.

Back on topic: can anyone confirm that the "stuck to the ground" thing (for Kerbals and sort-of for ships too) is new behaviour as of 1.11.0? I don't (yet) have an old version installed so I can't double-check; I'm all but certain it's new for the Kerbals but not so sure about the ships. (Is it "the done thing" to have an old version on standby?)
I have spotted a couple of other minor niggles which may be new bugs and I will get around to reporting them shortly (I guess I'll hunt through the tracker first to see if they are long-standing issues).

This post is to just let the other players know about this so they don't get burned by it in their career like I did.  The only way the new repair/edit vessel contracts for distant destinations like Jool or Duna are do-able is if you saw the contract get offered while you coincidentally were already there for some other reason with a crew vessel that can do the contract.  The new contracts don't seem to be varying their duration depending on destination like most contracts do.  They're always exactly 2 years, fixed, no matter what.  This is not enough time to launch a new vessel to go there for many interplanetary transfer situations.

This is not to report the bug.  I already did that here: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26958

This is just to warn other players.  These contracts can sometimes have large failure penalties so that guaranteed duration fail can kill your career.

Edited by Steven Mading
URL trimming to point to top of issue, not middle of issue

9 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

The only way the new repair/edit vessel contracts for distant destinations like Jool or Duna are do-able is if you saw the contract get offered while you coincidentally were already there for some other reason with a crew vessel that can do the contract. 

Yeah, I have found that the OrbitalConstructionContract has similar issues - was offered an Eve "add a part" contract with 1y218d until expiry. (I took it anyway, but needed a LOT of dv to get there in time!) This is pretty freaky and players could be forgiven for being caught out by it, because even the "rescue a Kerbal from LKO" contracts tend to have 5 year deadlines :D

Meanwhile, I've noticed another bug today and am not sure how new it is: I sent some Kerbals to Eve with a research lab on the ship and after arrival I levelled them up, only to find that they didn't reach the expected level. I had intended for them to reach 4 stars: Kerbin orbit, orbit around The Sun, flight at Eve (dipped into upper atmosphere) and a flag on Gilly. However, they were only listed as "fly-by" of The Sun. This wasn't (as I first suspected) a bug in the research lab - I cheated them back to Kerbin and recovered them and they still had just the fly-by listed for the sun.

I reckon this bug wasn't present in the past because a few of my older Kerbals already have "orbit" around the sun in their achievements. I even double-checked what the situation indicator was while they were still in deep space on the way to Eve and it showed them as "ORBITING" in The Sun's SOI.

Does anyone have a clue if there's a workaround for this, or know if it's a fresh issue in 1.11? I plan to report if it isn't a known thing (googling for it has turned up nothing so far).

On 12/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, MR L A said:

Look at all those chickens bug fixes!

Yeah look at the new ones :D!
Maneuver nodes are completely messed up :/ 

Also, I found 1 bug in the VAB/SPH involving the new storage unit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/ko93am/ksp_1110_sph_vab_bug_with_rerooting_parts

Another barely-tested .0 KSP release, more buggy new features (which were already available as established mods, sans bugs), more regressions in existing systems.  Game settings still not working properly, orbits still flickering, stuff still sliding around, wheels still horrible. Obligatory .0 release gamebreaking bug present.

Yawn.
Wake me when we get a proper bugfix release.

At this point I'm not even going to bother with a list of all the borkage I found in my ~1 hour with 1.11, let alone file reports. I'm over it, it's utterly futile, nothing gets fixed properly and every new release comes with new regressions.

Edited by steve_v

how exactly do you deploy the surface experiments now?  I can't seem to figure it out.  I can drop them on the ground but they donlt do anything and there is no option to turn them on in the PAW either....  maybe one of my mods breaks them?

2 minutes ago, eberkain said:

how exactly do you deploy the surface experiments now?  I can't seem to figure it out.  I can drop them on the ground but they donlt do anything and there is no option to turn them on in the PAW either....  maybe one of my mods breaks them?

You have to mouse over them in the Kerbals' inventory and click the tiny white icon in the bottom right of the inventory slot.

It's a bit of a weird leftover from before 1.11 when the inventory system was extremely limited.

hey before this is released to consoles, please fix the issue that spinning really fast teleports you a bajillion meter away from Kerbin.  Its not realistic. And also in physical time warp crafts will sometimes explode in the water when landing even at 3.4 m/s. Please fix that too.

12 minutes ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

No but if you look at the last .1 releases:

1.10.1 27 days
1.9.1 15 days
1.8.1 13 days

It is worse and worse :o And IMHO bug fixing is not a quick & straightforward work on this one.

Such a familiar tune! Just be happy that these days it usually ends up with one extra iteration.

Back in the old days we were full of hope that we're on a good track. The "good" versions went from 1.0.5 to 1.1.3 to 1.2.2 to 1.3.1 (the heyday IMHO), but unfortunately that trend broke there. And on top of that some really severe bugs got introduced, but lets not go into this here.

Also note that the community was asking for bugfixes over new additions ever since 0.9

I have to second what @steve_v posted - unfortunately - once more.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:02 PM, Neilski said:

Does anyone have a clue if there's a workaround for this, or know if it's a fresh issue in 1.11? I plan to report if it isn't a known thing (googling for it has turned up nothing so far).

If something do not work corectly edit file and/or use alt+F12. I noticed they do not get corect records. Previously they get.

16 hours ago, se5a said:

Am severely disappointed in the lack of physics bugfixing which has become even more prominent with the robotics parts.

Robotic is not much usefull - parts do not hold its place for any reasonable period even when laying on the groun.

Would be nice to see 1.11.1 soon and consecutively some 1.11.2 and .3 in order to fix all the prominent issues, instead of already programming 1.12.0

Edited by Rakete

18 hours ago, Rakete said:

Would be nice to see 1.11.1 soon and consecutively some 1.11.2 and .3 in order to fix all the prominent issues, instead of already programming 1.12.0

They are not mutually exclusive choices.

You can kick maintenance releases through the door at the same time you publish the new version: it's not forbidden to release 1.10.2 after releasing 1.11.0... And then forward port the fixes to KSP 1.11.1 , together the fixes for the bugs introduced by 1.11.0 .

Bugs are like smelly amounts of organic waste - it happens but only hits the turbofan if you allow it - and even when it happens, you don't need to hit the afterburner on it, by Kraken's sake!!!!

The recent bugs suggest a hurry on releasing new versions - to the point that it's becoming relatively easy to work around them: a hunch, 2 hours of prototyping and I may have a fix for the R.U.D. on launch vessels with some old parts (and, yet, I think it's possible to rework that fix to be even simpler - I just need time to do more tests with the information I gathered with the prototype).

not to mention a way less than ideal state of the codetree - systematic failures on correctly initialising things suggests
leaking abstractions everywhere, with ad hoc fixes on the point where the leak was detected,
instead of fixing the leak where it happened, worsening the problem
and perpetuating the need of fixing again the same thing in the future!

So, oukey. Release the new version in a rush if your boss is demanding it - it's his money (and his responsibility). Just don't abandon the older versions, so users can keep going their savegames until the new version is ironed out.

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing

11 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

If something do not work corectly edit file and/or use alt+F12. I noticed they do not get corect records. Previously they get.

Yeah, I can't find a way to directly grant them experience with Alt-F12 but I can of course cheat them to a solar orbit and weirdly enough, that does the trick in terms of getting them the "orbit around The Sun" experience (once I cheat them back to Kerbin). Perhaps it's something about my transfer orbit to Eve that it doesn't like... :huh:
Unless I can find a way of reproducing this issue, I'm not sure there's any value in reporting it as a bug. I have however installed a copy of 1.10.1 now, so I can at least attempt side-by-side tests.

I think the range for the EVA contruction mode needs to be increased from 7 m from the root part. Yes it looks stupid but whats the point in orbital construction if you are limited to 7m? A craft that sized can be launched in a fairing on the flee solid rocket booster. 

Edited by dave1904

Just now, dave1904 said:

I think the range for the EVA contruction mode needs to be increased from 7 m from the root part. Yes it looks stupid but whats the point in orbital construction if you are limited to 7m? A craft that sized can be launched in a fairing on the flee solid rocket booster. 

we need to be able to re-root a craft in-flight just like in the editor.  

16 minutes ago, eberkain said:

we need to be able to re-root a craft in-flight just like in the editor.  

That would be handy yes  but for now I have edited the settings.cfg and just increased it to 30m. Have to make it read only.

Edited by dave1904