Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

45 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

I think the range for the EVA contruction mode needs to be increased from 7 m from the root part. Yes it looks stupid but whats the point in orbital construction if you are limited to 7m? A craft that sized can be launched in a fairing on the flee solid rocket booster. 

So it's not 7m from the Kerbal? Now I feel even more justified in upping that to 70. Maybe I'll even make it 700.

5 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

So it's not 7m from the Kerbal? Now I feel even more justified in upping that to 70. Maybe I'll even make it 700.

Its also 7m from the kerbal! The kerbal needs to be within 7 m of the root part to be exact for attaching parts that require node attachments. For surface attachements its only 7m from the kerbal. 

In theory you can attach a node part at 14m. The kerbal needs to be sitting 7m from the root part and you attach the part 7m away from the kerbal. Do I make any sense?? 

53 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

Its also 7m from the kerbal! The kerbal needs to be within 7 m of the root part to be exact for attaching parts that require node attachments. For surface attachements its only 7m from the kerbal. 

In theory you can attach a node part at 14m. The kerbal needs to be sitting 7m from the root part and you attach the part 7m away from the kerbal. Do I make any sense?? 

This explains a lot. Should probably be reported as a bug, because attachment nodes should be always visible.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

Yes you do.

It doesn't make any sense, but your explanation of it does.

Just do not forget that you make the settings.cfg read only or else it will keep overwriting the range limit.

Edited by dave1904

15 hours ago, eberkain said:

we need to be able to re-root a craft in-flight just like in the editor.  

That would summon the Wrath of the Krakens on heavy crafts with autostruts the same way docking does.

I would cope with a 7M limit from the nearest part, instead - or, better, from the part that will receive the constructed part.

14 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Yes. But anything bigger than a small Space Station will demand you to play snipper to attach the constructed part on the right node.

Edited by Lisias
Brute force post merging

This eva construction radius should ONLY be tied to the respective Kerbal - not any rootpart. Why? Cause it's the kerbal, who's constructing and it has nothing to do with any root part.

Do the devs read this discussion threat ?!

Edited by Rakete

Can somebody from the dev team explain this? Is this just a mistake or? The bug was changed from "confirmed" to "ready to test", even though there is no new releases of the game. The 1.11.1 isn't out. But the target version wasn't even set to 1.11.1, it was set to the same version of the game that the original bug was reported in, 1.11.0.  What is happening? 

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26932

5 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Can somebody from the dev team explain this? Is this just a mistake or? The bug was changed from "confirmed" to "ready to test", even though there is no new releases of the game. The 1.11.1 isn't out. But the target version wasn't even set to 1.11.1, it was set to the same version of the game that the original bug was reported in, 1.11.0.  What is happening? 

I wouldn't put too much faith in the bug tracker. I reported a bug a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't even been looked at. 

6 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Not from the dev team but as a computer professional I can explain this. "Ready to test" means the developer is done and now either their QA department can test it, or it'll be in 1.11.1 when that releases.

7 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Ohhh... I think that may have been a mistake. I will follow up on it. Thanks

31 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Not from the dev team but as a computer professional I can explain this. "Ready to test" means the developer is done and now either their QA department can test it, or it'll be in 1.11.1 when that releases.

Almost perfect... Yes, RTT is Ready To Test, and means it will go to QA next.  But it has to be thoroughly tested and passed by us before it's put into a release.

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, ConArt70 said:

I wouldn't put too much faith in the bug tracker. I reported a bug a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't even been looked at. 

I mentioned the bug tracker not regarding the bug itself, it was just interesting to me that the bug has been marked as ready to test without the new version release and the target version being the same as it was reported in, that's all. But I feel you, reported a couple of bugs myself and sometimes you feel like nobody is even reading this stuff. 

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

It was strange to me because Squad always puts "ready to test" on a bug after the new version has been released. Never seen it change before the release. 

54 minutes ago, Xavven said:

I still find it odd that EVA fuel is magically refilled when returning to the craft. Shouldn't it be taken from monopropellant or something? Infinite EVA refills just doesn't seem right.

From the Announcement:

EVA fuel has a density now:
Kerbal EVA fuel was always a bit abstract.  With the addition of separated jetpacks and the EVA Fuel cylinders, we’ve adjusted that.  Now EVA fuel is 5kg/unit, and the Kerbal respond as you’d expect as it's burned up - jumping a little higher, being able to accelerate faster with the Jetpack.

You are right - since they are going more realistic, EVA fuel ideally should not be replenished automatically. However...

This is what was always happening until KSP 1.10.2 (unless your KSP is modded), and so such a decision would break a lot of savegames that were made when we had plenty of EVA fuel by spontaneous generation.

If it would be on my shoulders, such a change should be applied only on new savegames, with savegames imported from previous KSP versions sticking with older rules - unless the user set an option like 'apply new rule to old savegames' or something.

13 hours ago, Lisias said:

and so such a decision would break a lot of savegames

Empyrion was one of my favorites games that i had to stop playing.

Every update and every new feature needs a new save to be applied.

I miss that game but having to restart again and again to enjoy a bug fix or content update...ugh...so far Kerbal has avoided that.

Hopefully that will continue to be the case for any new future changes/updates.

Edited by Boyster

On 1/7/2021 at 3:54 AM, dave1904 said:

Just do not forget that you make the settings.cfg read only or else it will keep overwriting the range limit.

I didn't have it read only and it didn't change in the file.

However, read only or not, the limit is the default super short amount (7 meters?)

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I didn't have it read only and it didn't change in the file.

However, read only or not, the limit is the default super short amount (7 meters?)

Well its supposed to be from the kerbal so it is not really super short if it worked like intended. Either its an oversight or some limitation with the root part. 

2 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Well its supposed to be from the kerbal so it is not really super short if it worked like intended. Either its an oversight or some limitation with the root part. 

7 meters is super short imo :D

Either way, it's not working as I think it's intended to, as it's a limit of 7 meters and I told the game I wanted the limit to be 70 meters.

And no I wasn't working 70 meters away from the root part, either :)

Edited by Superfluous J

IDK how to reproduce this so this is not a bug report.

I just could not not share this screenshot of Bill getting cloned?! xD

4yKbEGl.png?1

When I switch to the clone (whomst I cannot control) in the bottom right I see this:

WG0DkwC.png?1

Since I could not control the clone I had to dispose of him through the tracking station.

For anyone curious how this happened: I was building on the station while holding the ladder of the hitchhiker then boarded. The 'dead' Bill was still on the ladder obstructing the hatch, while the living one was inside the hitchhiker.

Edited by Astronomer