Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

Hi everybody!

I've noticed that since 1.11.1 patch, all probes in my career game provide almost all SAS modes (except target / anti-target).  Moreover my Kerbal pilots who used to provide only prograde and retrograde assistance now provide almost all SAS modes - like the probes. Did anybody notice it also? Is it desired behaviour, which came with the new patch or the new bug? Or is it possibe to switch it off and to have it like before patch? I didn't find any switch which solves this.

Thank you for any ideas!

11 minutes ago, jirka828 said:

Hi everybody!

I've noticed that since 1.11.1 patch, all probes in my career game provide almost all SAS modes (except target / anti-target).  Moreover my Kerbal pilots who used to provide only prograde and retrograde assistance now provide almost all SAS modes - like the probes. Did anybody notice it also? Is it desired behaviour, which came with the new patch or the new bug? Or is it possibe to switch it off and to have it like before patch? I didn't find any switch which solves this.

Thank you for any ideas!

They added this:

Playing a science/sandbox game in which Kerbals are restricted to class traits but all probes have access to all SAS modes is now possible.

So i am guessing you encountered a bug where the game thinks you chose this option, maybe post in Technical Support or to the bugtracker and hopefully someone will

figure out how to edit the persistent to make it a ''normal'' game.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:54 AM, BeanThruster said:

[edited for brevity]

PERFECT!  Thanks @BeanThruster that worked perfectly.  I'll probably just write a script to return all of their gear since I'm definitely NOT flying missions out to all the planet, moons, asteroids, comets, and bases I have scattered around the system just to return their gear.  My save file is 15MB and I have way too many Kerbals to do by hand.  I'm assuming you got the "INVENTORY" tag data from another simple save file?

Thanks again!

Edited by Vanamonde

Cool ! 

NfjAcsZl.jpg

It wasn't the biggest bug but hey!!.

For now, I'm not going to test more than that for version 1.11.1, until the 1.10.1 mods are updated.

Hoping I can use my 1.10.1 backup with the 1.11.1.

(104 mods installed it's not going to be simple)

Steph.

9 minutes ago, ash73 said:

I planted a flag at the north pole, thought I'd try a jet plane for a change, and it stayed upright (yay!) but when I went back to the tracking station it has gone.

Are you sure you haven't just accidentally turned off markers for flags in the tracking station filter?

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but I can't switch back to version 1.11 after I updated to 1.11.1 using the Steam Launcher. 
Most of the mods I'm using are stuck on 1.11, as well. :l

Under the "Properites" tab, there's a "Betas" Tab. this allows you to switch versions. 1.11 is not on that list.

1 hour ago, R3dst0ne_Warri0r said:

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but I can't switch back to version 1.11 after I updated to 1.11.1 using the Steam Launcher. 
Most of the mods I'm using are stuck on 1.11, as well. :l

Under the "Properites" tab, there's a "Betas" Tab. this allows you to switch versions. 1.11 is not on that list.

Probably someone forgot to update the thing. It will be done sooner or later.

Until then, you can use the console to download the depots directly. It's a bit cumbersome, but it works.

• open your browser
  • type steam://nav/console
    • This will open the Steam Client with a new tab, Console
  • type:
    • download_depot 220200 220204 6595377442804801725
    • download_depot 283740 283740 6300531123014751372
    • download_depot 982970 982970 3333344034773284668
    • These will download the Win64 version of KSP 1.11.0 and the respectives Making History and Breaking Ground.
  • Then wait the Console print the message that the download is done. Pay attention to the pathname being printed, the depot will be available there
    • Now you need to copy the folders to the target place. 

On a side note, it's usually a bad idea to mod the game under Steam's control. The best you can do is to copy the recently updated folder to some other place and play from there.

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

type:

• download_depot 220200 220204 6595377442804801725
  • download_depot 283740 283740 6300531123014751372
  • download_depot 982970 982970 3333344034773284668

Steam gave me the error message "Depot download failed : Manifest not available"

I tried to tell CKAN to fake it being 1.11.0, but my mind is square and I didn't know what i was doing so CKAN crashed

Edited by R3dst0ne_Warri0r

5 hours ago, R3dst0ne_Warri0r said:

Steam gave me the error message "Depot download failed : Manifest not available"

Now we have a problem, because these are the manifests I used to download it on December, and I just double checked the values on steamdb. :/ 

This is less than desirable news, you now are locked up on 1.11.1 (and downgrading to 1.10.1 would break the savegames).

5 hours ago, R3dst0ne_Warri0r said:

I tried to tell CKAN to fake it being 1.11.0, but my mind is square and I didn't know what i was doing so CKAN crashed

CKAN is prone to crash even when you know what you are doing. :( Post a bug report on CKAN's thread and ask for help.

Until there, your only way out of this mess is to manually install the add'ons you want. :( 

What I do:

Download KSP via Steam.

Copy the KSP folder to a different location outside Steam, e.g. C:\KSP

Install mods, play.

New version coming up I want to install:

Make a backup of C:\KSP

Copy my C:\KSP back to the respective Steam folder.

Install the update. Copy the Steam folder back to C:\KSP

Ugh, a question ...

Ok, have a station in Kerbin orbit and I've used my engineer to add struts to pieces of it for stability, latest example is a rocomax orange fuel tank (lot o mass) that I need to support so it and the other side of my station doesn't oscillate...

I add the struts in building mode with the engineer, and all's good, until I reload it, the struts at the initial anchor points are there, but are no longer attached to my tank.

I had this as well between a few other modules and no matter how many times I re-setup that set of struts, they are gone on the next load.

Im not shutting down improperly etc, so is it a bug, or am i missing something?

Thanks  ahead of time

On 2/5/2021 at 8:20 AM, Fletch4 said:

Is there a way to make it so that my mods stay, but my game will upgrade?

Your mods always stay when the game upgrades. However that doesn’t mean they will work after.  There is no way to way sure your mods will work other than waiting and checking the version compatibility for each mod and then once everything is compatible installing the update for each mod as needed. 

Edited by MechBFP

Dunno if this has been mentioned but on my install warp speed while flying on Kerbin is broken.  Planes that used to be stable no longer are, and those that are stable go unstable over time.  Contracts that require one to fly somewhere are no longer worth doing do to no warp speed.

The Place Anywhere 1 Linear RCS Port has a bug. It generates thrust in the wrong direction.

See this test craft: RCS Test.craft

12-rcs.jpeg

Note that all the RCS nozzles are pointing outwards, perpendicular to the vessel's longitudinal axis. They are also all set to "fore by throttle". With throttle at 100% and RCS on, this craft will lift off from the pad quite rapidly, because all those RCS ports actually generate thrust downwards instead of outwards, and activate accordingly. (With default placement, their thrust direction is upwards; I've rotated them in the test craft to more easily demonstrate the problem.)

• 2 weeks later...

Want to confirm if anyone else is having this bug (After doing a fresh install clearing mods it still shows) When I do the EVA construction with an engineer. every time I move a object like a strut or radial parachute my whole ship will either, spaz out, explode, gain some sort of momentum, or the worst part is it will somehow make my engineer strutted to the ship itself causing some issue where im losing velocity and it usually ends up crashing. This happens to me about 9 out of the 10 times I tried to EVA construct on multiple vessels.

While Eva I can do a JR docking port attach to a ship radially but a Sr Dock will cause ship to explode. Lights work fine, moving stuff from one ship to another sometimes causes explosions when they separate.  One ship I successfully upgraded in orbit now randomly explodes a few second into my save file load.  Someting funky is going on eva construction .  Also planes many times don't  want to fly in a straight line some have hard time taking off.  I love new version but physics seems to be more sensitive.

KSP 1.11.x broke irremediably (at least, under forum rules) TweakScale and probably every add'on that changes the value of the craft after launch (as add'ons that implement damages).

The IPartCostModifier interface is being ignored on recovering the craft, besides still being called on recovering the craft.

This is not an accident. The KSP Dev Team choose to fetch information from the PREFAB instead of using the value of the already called part's IPartCostModifier interface.

The full story is on TweakScale's thread and github.

Edited by Lisias
links