Kerbal Space Program 1.11: "Some Reassembly Required" Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

I'm seeing some slightly funky game mechanics right now, which may be "normal" but it's new and odd to me so I'll ask if it's the expected behaviour...

I bought Breaking Ground (and MH) a couple of weeks ago. However, I hadn't managed to get around to trying surface-deployed science experiments until after 1.11 came out...
When I started to try it in the last day or so, the weird thing that I have come across is that my Kerbals can't pick up the experiments if I have the chute and jetpack equipped; removing just the jetpack allows some things to be picked up but even the chute has to be taken off to fit some of the other pieces of kit into inventory. I've been literally having to walk my Kerbals up to the base of the rocket, take off and store their chute and backpack, and then pick up the base station, solar panels, experiments etc., deploy them from the Kerbal's inventory, and then pick up the jetpack again to fly back to the cabin (I don't normally bother with ladders :))

Is this really how it's meant to be (and I guess has been ever since BG landed), or did 1.11 introduce some accidental side-effects that mean you can't pick up and deploy experiments with chute+jetpack equipped?

Is anyone else getting frequent Unity crashes? I've been attempting to play the update on my ultrabook with an Intel 8550U, 16GB RAM, SSD and Nvidia MX150 and after a certain amount of time (half hour or so) the game abruptly crashes like there's a memory leak. This is happening in a completely vanilla game with no mods. Haven't tried it on a more powerful system yet to see if the issue is also present there, but I've played a significant amount of KSP on this ultrabook without issue and this is the first time I've seen this kind of behavior.

Whenever it crashes Unity appears to automatically upload a crash report, so hopefully they can get to the bottom of this soon.

I've discovered another bug: When offsetting or rotating the OP-E large scanning arm in EVA construction mode, the entire craft will violently RUD after switching away from the tool you used. The SPRT medium scanning arm sends the craft flying, while the CRSY light scanning arm appears to leave the craft unaffected.

Whenever this happens, it appears that the entire hitbox of the craft is significantly shifted. This might be unrelated to the explosion, or might be the cause of it.

I'll make sure to file a bug report detailing the necessary steps later. 

Edit: I feel the need to say, however, that this is a fantastic update! These past two days have been like playing with a new box of lego :cool:

Edited by DoesDoodles

42 minutes ago, Lord Aurelius said:

Is anyone else getting frequent Unity crashes? I've been attempting to play the update on my ultrabook with an Intel 8550U, 16GB RAM, SSD and Nvidia MX150 and after a certain amount of time (half hour or so) the game abruptly crashes like there's a memory leak. This is happening in a completely vanilla game with no mods. Haven't tried it on a more powerful system yet to see if the issue is also present there, but I've played a significant amount of KSP on this ultrabook without issue and this is the first time I've seen this kind of behavior.

Whenever it crashes Unity appears to automatically upload a crash report, so hopefully they can get to the bottom of this soon.

Check this thread:

And see if it's the same thing happening to you.

I have observed in the Space Plane Hanger the CoM does not behave properly.  I suspect this is also the case in the VAB, but haven't done so much there in 1.11 yet, and would be less critical on rockets anyway.

1. If a part is translated, CoM appears to follow, but <space> resets the current offset translation back to where it started.  CoM does not follow the reset until something else is done, at the very least turning the indicator off and back on.

2. Wherever the CoM is when the craft is finished, it will jump 1 standard offset click (like without <shift>) toward the back of the plane upon launch, which, if you like performance planes, kills stability.

10 hours ago, Neilski said:

I'm seeing some slightly funky game mechanics right now, which may be "normal" but it's new and odd to me so I'll ask if it's the expected behaviour...

I bought Breaking Ground (and MH) a couple of weeks ago. However, I hadn't managed to get around to trying surface-deployed science experiments until after 1.11 came out...

When I started to try it in the last day or so, the weird thing that I have come across is that my Kerbals can't pick up the experiments if I have the chute and jetpack equipped; removing just the jetpack allows some things to be picked up but even the chute has to be taken off to fit some of the other pieces of kit into inventory. I've been literally having to walk my Kerbals up to the base of the rocket, take off and store their chute and backpack, and then pick up the base station, solar panels, experiments etc., deploy them from the Kerbal's inventory, and then pick up the jetpack again to fly back to the cabin (I don't normally bother with ladders :))

Is this really how it's meant to be (and I guess has been ever since BG landed), or did 1.11 introduce some accidental side-effects that mean you can't pick up and deploy experiments with chute+jetpack equipped?

1.11 made it so that EVA packs and chutes take up Kerbal inventory slots. With both equipped, Kerbals don't have any space in their inventory to pick up deployable parts.

7 hours ago, Miguelsgamingch said:

This is totally not pain

Working as intended. If you don't like it, uninstall KSP-AVC.

Awesome update!  Looking forward to getting some time to playing around with it. Might even be able to finally remove KIS-dependency from NEOS now! (Love KIS, just dislike dependencies..)

28 minutes ago, micha said:

Working as intended. If you don't like it, uninstall KSP-AVC.

Awesome update!  Looking forward to getting some time to playing around with it. Might even be able to finally remove KIS-dependency from NEOS now! (Love KIS, just dislike dependencies..)

All Of the Mods work, I Have Some that doesn't and im sure one of those is tweakscale, i dont remeber

Hello,

Actually this release was relatively smoothly in terms of add-ons porting but, I found an error that is blocking all UI, after this FATAL ERROR, the GUI stop responding not even to return to main MENU:

Spoiler

[ERR 21:54:07.896] [ModuleWheelSubmodule]: Module at index 0 is not a ModuleWheelBase type

[EXC 21:54:07.897] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        ModuleWheels.ModuleWheelSubmodule.OnAwake () (at <f8bc9e2b903e48a5b248ab0083c07c62>:0)
        PartModule.Awake () (at <f8bc9e2b903e48a5b248ab0083c07c62>:0)
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
        ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode, UInt32, Boolean, String&)
        ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode, UInt32)
        ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode)
        ShipConstruction:LoadShip(String)
        EditorLogic:StartEditor(Boolean)
        EditorLogic:ShipToLoadSelected(String, LoadType)
        EditorLogic:LoadShipFromFile(String)
        CraftManager.CMBrowserBase:load_craft(String, Boolean)
        CraftManager.<>c__DisplayClass18_0:<draw_craft_list_item>b__1(ClickEvent)
        KatLib.DryUIBase:handle_click_event(Rect, ClickEvents)
        KatLib.DryUIBase:section(Single, GUIStyle, Content, ClickEvents)
        CraftManager.CMBrowser:draw_craft_list_item(CraftData, Single)
        CraftManager.<>c__DisplayClass17_0:<draw_main_section>b__3(Single)
        KatLib.DryUIBase:scroll(Vector2, GUIStyle, Single, Single, Content)
        CraftManager.<>c__DisplayClass17_0:<draw_main_section>b__0(Single)
        KatLib.DryUIBase:v_section(Single, Single, Boolean, Content)
        CraftManager.CMBrowser:draw_main_section(Single)
        CraftManager.CMBrowser:<WindowContent>b__12_1(Single)
        KatLib.DryUIBase:section(Single, Content)
        CraftManager.CMBrowser:<WindowContent>b__12_0()
        KatLib.DryUIBase:v_section(ContentNoArgs)
        CraftManager.CMBrowser:WindowContent(Int32)
        CraftManager.CMUI:DrawWindow(Int32)
        UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)

LOG+SAVED file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz1zdsrt7x6dh2t/REPORT.zip?dl=0

HOW TO INSTALL PACK: https://github.com/pmborg/SpaceX-RO-Falcons/wiki/HOW-TO-INSTALL

The error happens when I am on VAB loading craft: https://kerbalx.com/pmborg/PMBT-SpaceX-Falcon-9-1_2-Block-5

Any Idea?

This a kind of silent error, if the Craft is on launch pad, it will launch but I can't go back to, Kerbin Space Center or use any menu on GUI, only load a new saved game still  working.

------

Some hours later... Meanwhile I found the mod that is causing this, so please disregard my question.

Edited by pmborg

Try removing CraftManager.

Thats an addon, not native code, and it overrides some of the native functions in the VAB.  My initial suspicion its not for 1.11.  A quick look (link below) at the forum thread for the mod says that its latest KSP is 1.9.x, so not even updated for 1.10 yet, much less tested/updated for 1.11.   So its likely just in need of an update.  Try checking the forum thread below for it, and please be patient - addon/mod authors do this in their spare time, and it usually takes a few weeks to months before all the mods are up to date.

Mod Forum Thread:

Also, there is a better way to post errors - read this: (and most people use spoiler tags to hide any "wall of text" blocks)

Just trying to help.

11 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Try removing CraftManager.

Thats an addon, not native code, and it overrides some of the native functions in the VAB.  My initial suspicion its not for 1.11.  A quick look (link below) at the forum thread for the mod says that its latest KSP is 1.9.x, so not even updated for 1.10 yet, much less tested/updated for 1.11.   So its likely just in need of an update.  Try checking the forum thread below for it, and please be patient - addon/mod authors do this in their spare time, and it usually takes a few weeks to months before all the mods are up to date.

Mod Forum Thread:

Hello,

Thanks for the hint but the problem is not CraftManager, loading with or without CraftManager, for example  a previous saved game of KSP 1.10, will have the same result if the craft is on Launch Pad already.

If I roll back to steam for KSP 1.10.1 all will work again perfectly as before.

Edited by pmborg

4 hours ago, Miguelsgamingch said:

All Of the Mods work, I Have Some that doesn't and im sure one of those is tweakscale, i dont remeber

You are seeing the result of decisions made by those modders before the game update was released. They had to guess whether their mods would be compatible with KSP 1.11 without being able to test on it, and they chose the cautious path of incompatible-till-proven-compatible. That's a lot better than assuming it will be and then finding out it isn't, trust me.

5 hours ago, Miguelsgamingch said:

KER for one doesn't. It stops calculating delta-V and exception-spams the console if the current craft contains any manned parts due to the new "weight of crew and their inventories is included in part mass" mechanic in 1.11. I actually had to start using the stock delta-V readouts in the VAB to get anywhere.

Edited by Fraktal

Flags falling over is one of those old bugs that keeps coming back.  It's been  happening in various releases for years.

I stopped planting flags seriously ages ago for this reason.  Now I use the science experiments to 'mark' where I've been.

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

I stopped planting flags seriously ages ago for this reason.  Now I use the science experiments to 'mark' where I've been.

Only problem with that is that flag planting gives more XP.

3 hours ago, Fraktal said:

KER for one doesn't. It stops calculating delta-V and exception-spams the console if the current craft contains any manned parts due to the new "weight of crew and their inventories is included in part mass" mechanic in 1.11. I actually had to start using the stock delta-V readouts in the VAB to get anywhere.

I had to finally uninstall KER and it was a little surprising how much of its data is provided in the stock game.

I did a little research on part mass limits on a few celestial bodies.

In orbit, the engineer can handle all parts listed under the Cargo tab (top left corner), the most massive of which is the 1.875m monoprop tank FL-R5 at 1.85 tons.

On Minmus, full FL-R5 (1.85t) is too heavy, as is FL-R5 with 255 units of monoprop (1.270t), but with 254 units (1.266t) it could be moved. Though around these masses, the green highlighting on mouse-over flickered in an odd way, whatever that means.  Max = 1.266t?

On Mun, FAT-455 tailfin (0.36t) is OK, but XL girder (0.375t) is too heavy. Max 0.37t?

On Kerbin, the HG-5 antenna (0.07t) is too heavy.  Playing with slowly emptying fuel tanks, 0.060t seems to be the max I've been able to move

Might be fun to try deriving an equation relative to surface gravity to predict limits on all bodies..?

Weird bugs I found through this:

- Occasionally the mass limits are not obeyed.  For instance on Minmus the full FL-R5 is too heavy, but once in a while I would succeed in picking it up but then be unable to place it again, or even to drop it.  The only way to get out of this stuck condition is to exit Build mode, at which point the fuel tank vanishes.  Return to Build mode and it's still stuck to the cursor but unable to be placed.  And in this state, Esc does nothing - no pause, no ability to revert or leave the scene.  The only was I found to clear this (other that force-quit) was board the craft, EVA again, press 'I' as fast as possible - then I was able to (illegally) place the too-heavy part again, and the Esc menu came back.  Maybe there's a brief window of time after starting EVA where illegal build ops are allowed?  Can anyone reproduce?

- In attempting to measure the maximum allowable mass, I made a craft with one full tank and one empty one.  I transferred contents from the full one to the empty one until the engineer was able to move it.  However on reattaching the part-full tank, it magically became full!  I investigated a bit - if the tank starts out full on scene load then gets emptied, remove and replace the depleted tank and it returns to however much fuel it had at scene load.  Exit the scene with the tank empty and return, and the refill glitch stops.  Hello exploits!  Can anyone reproduce?

- There are tons of parts that should be buildable if mass limit is the only factor.  For instance the 1.875m FL-TX220 tank from MH (1.2375t) is listed, but FL-A151S (the 1.875m-1.25m tapered tank, 0.9t) is not.  If you put the A151S in front of an engineer they can't manipulate it.  The HubMax at 1.5t is less than FL-R5, but not listed (would be handy at times for station building).  I'm going to assume these are simple oversights and can be patched?  Or is there something evil about non-listed parts?

- In the VAB/SPH editor, there are weird errors when sorting parts by mass (as I did while trying to find these limits).  For instance go to Cargo -> Fuel Tanks and the order I see by descending Mass is: FL-R5 (1.85t), PB-X750 (0.76t), FL-TX220 (1.2375t), FL-T200 (1.125t), Radial holding tank (0.125t), FL-R25 (0.56t), FL-T100 (0.5625t), Fuel Duct (0.05t), R-12 Doughnut (0.3375), and so on.  6 or 7 parts out of sequence out of 19

Edited by fourfa

10 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

I lik the update, but every time I place a flag at Vall it tips over ;.;

Confirmed bug https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/26872

21 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Only problem with that is that flag planting gives more XP.

I had to finally uninstall KER and it was a little surprising how much of its data is provided in the stock game.

Workaround here: https://github.com/jrbudda/KerbalEngineer/issues/66#issuecomment-748417769

42 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

It’s true. *laughs* I mostly use it for G’s, horizontal/vertical velocity (really helps with precise landing) and biomes.