(CLOSED) The Solar Trip Challenge

official posterP4tNuwZ.jpg

A SOLAR TRAVEL
By Kerbal Enthusiasm Challenges

What’s the main task?
Create a unique rocket with 2-4 spacecrafts which will land in all bodies in the Kerbol System (excluding comets, asteroids, Jool (and other planetary bodies by mods).

Who can join?
Anyone WITHOUT the Breaking Ground or the Making History DLC, or both. If you have the two DLCs, you cannot join since the prize is one DLC pack.

FULL INSTRUCTIONS

Firstly, try to dock 2-4 spacecrafts with at least 3 Kerbals (one pilot, one scientist, one engineer) with a communications device and science stuff for you to conduct science. Since there are a total of 16 planetary bodies in the Kerbol System, you will land on 14 of it. Here are those:

·         Moho

·         Eve

·         Gilly

·         Mun

·         Minmus

·         Duna

·         Ike

·         Dres

·         Pol

·         Laythe

·         Bop

·         Tylo

·         Vall

·         Eeloo

So, each spacecraft could land on either 4 or 5 of these. Plan first your destinations, your cargo, and stuff. You could refuel in asteroids, or in space stations, or anything. Then, build a rocket and dock your spacecrafts in a way that it would be brought together once leaving the SOI of Kerbin. As you land on these planetary bodies, you can refuel too or get some precious science. After doing these, you MUST redock them all in one piece and return safely to Kerbin. Tough job?

Documentary (how you will show your work)
You will document this in a recording. Record it in a video, and it’s your choice if you will edit it or not. Limit it to 15 minutes of video time. And your mods should be seen. No using of HyperEdit or you are disqualified. You could add some music, or some effects. The editing is yours to do! You can add anything you want in the video! But remember, be fair! Don’t use cheats!

How can I send it?
You can send it to my E-mail which is [email protected] or you could send a Google Drive link or any link with the video on it and send it on me via PM on the KSP Forums.

What's the prize?
So good of you that you asked.
You could win a DLC pack! Either the Making History expansion or the Breaking Ground expansion! Your choice!

How can I win?
You can win in 2 ways:

1.        Accuracy of the Gameplay
The gameplay is accurate and you landed on all said bodies in the best way depending on the criteria.

2.       Editing Skill
The editing is great and has effort inserted into it. It is consistent, and many more depending on the criteria.

How will I be judged?

Here’s the criteria:

ACCURACY OF THE GAMEPLAY

Rocket and Spacecraft – 30%
Maneuvers, Gravity Assists, Etcetera – 25%
Arrival at Destination – 25%
Restoration of Spacecraft – 20%
                                                   -------
                                                      100%

Editing Skill

Consistency – 45%
Visual Effects – 25%
Auditory Effects – 15%
Submission – 15% (subtracts each day of late)

------
                                100%

When is the deadline of submission?
The deadline is at Jan. 11, 2021, 10 AM GMT. Submit it either at my Gmail account ([email protected]) or via PM at the Forums (link of your video).

How many will win?
2 for the Accuracy of the Gameplay category, and 2 for the Editing Skill category.

How will we know if we won or not?
Winners will be posted at the Forums. Check my wall before New Year.

Can we use mods?
You cannot use mods. Let's make it a challenge! (except for camera/visual/audio mods.)

Remember, record your video and edit it if you want! Limit to 15 minutes only! Good luck to all of you!

raRoyt3.jpg       Winners of this contest will receive their custom circular badge for their posts! (sorry it's not as great :<)

Edited by Helvica_Ring_Scientist

On 12/23/2020 at 4:28 AM, silks said:

Guess I'll have a go at this. Are camera / visual / audio mods allowed?

Mods that don't include rocket parts, HyperEdit-like mods, and the like aren't accepted. But camera, visual, and audio mods are highly accepted.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, KingDominoIII said:

I would but I have both DLC unfortunately. I'd do it for no points, if you're accepting entries more loosely.

Unfortunately I think anyone with the ability to take on a grand tour probably has both DLC already.

Are you willing to join, even though you have no prize if you won?

If you don't want, you can give me clues for new prizes. I'm thinking... but it might be worthless :(

Deadline is extended until January 5, 2020 but still the same time: 10 AM GMT

I might try this tbh. I've done a grand tour but I don't have the DLCs. Thanks for making this challenge!

The one problem is that my computer's pretty bad so I don't know if I'll be able to put together a video montage. (Takes really long to render videos)

I do have one question about Mechjeb. Am I allowed to use it for plotting or executing maneuvers, or to assist with suicide burns? I prefer to fly most of landings, and all ascents, manually - but maneuvers and suicide burns are quite repetitive.

Edit: I have more questions, sorry!
-Am I allowed to do this in one launch? I'd prefer if that were the case, since my computer lags a lot for large crafts
-Do we have to use each craft to land on 4-5 different bodies or is that just a guideline? Also if we dock the crafts together in orbit, why is there a requirement for three different crafts? If there is, I think a mothership+daughtership+specialized landers would work quite well.

Edited by camacju

Oh oops- 2021 rather :D

On 12/29/2020 at 7:09 AM, camacju said:

-Am I allowed to do this in one launch? I'd prefer if that were the case, since my computer lags a lot for large crafts
-Do we have to use each craft to land on 4-5 different bodies or is that just a guideline? Also if we dock the crafts together in orbit, why is there a requirement for three different crafts? If there is, I think a mothership+daughtership+specialized landers would work quite well.

1. You can do it in multiple launches, but make sure there are 3-4 spacecrafts that will land in all 14 planetary bodies.

2. One craft is 4-5 bodies.

LAST EXTENSION: Until Jan. 11, 2021

@Helvica_Ring_Scientist Is this submission acceptable? Because of the docking it's a bit hard to tell exactly which ship does the landing. But in my opinion, the inner system ship lands on Moho, Eve, and Gilly; the Kerbin ship lands on Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus; the middle system ship lands on Eeloo, Dres, Duna, and Ike; and the Jool ship lands on the five moons of Jool.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.