Pol support thread.

Minmus Taster

Everyone talks about how Dres and Gilly being super underrated places to go, but you know what object is really underrated? POL!

Pol - Kerbal Space Program Wiki

Almost nobody has ever talked about Pol, this moon seems to have been mostly forgotten about it.

Sure the spiky rocks might be a little dumb but WHO SHOULD CARE?

Even the Squad Dev's seem to have mostly forgotten it even in the game, seriously when was the last time Squad mentioned Pol?

300px-Pol_with_Jool_and_moons.png

It's lying there....

On the edge of the known Universe....

Waiting for revenge....

Pol SHOULD look like this though:

Artworks inspired by Kerbal Space Program - Album on Imgur

And I will wait with great impatient(ness?) for the day it looks like this.

What do you think about Pol?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pol’s not bad, just a bit out of the way to visit.

When visiting Jool, most people just go to Laythe because it’s the easiest to land on due to the atmosphere, or possibly to Val as it’s still close in to Jool but you don’t need to deal with re-entry heating; Pol is pretty inclined relative to the three inner moons and also rather far out so it requires quite a lot of delta-V to get there, relatively speaking, but the low gravity makes it ideal for a mining outpost and it’s easier to reach than Bop which is much more inclined.

Been procrastinating that myself too for too long, tbh :D 

For the Jool system, as per my plan, I need to deploy 27 Relay Satellites, plus 20 ScanSat Satellites. Sending 14 rockets to Jool is one thing, but then deploying almost 50 satellites, one by one, in specific orbits, plus adjusting for the relay satellites the orbital period precise to milliseconds? Jeez... 

At least I now have most of it done after procrastinating for weeks - it's so much easier and more fun to send some tourists to Mun or Minmus :D 

Edited by VoidSquid

That level of precision must be insane, I'd probably overprepare for something like that :0.0:

I may just set up multiple relays in increasing altitudes above Kerbol to get a uniform spread a few times over, and also maybe some orbiting ones around Moho and Duna. Then after that I can get contact.

I certainly have the technology and the rocket for that, once it's all done I can get my probe and also send another for Pol.

Well, I basically follow this tutorial, with a few adjustments as per my personal preference:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Setting_up_a_CommNet_system

And for the precision: doing the orbital periods as precise as possible, the constellations won't degrade significantly in 10 or 20 years, I prefer that over deploying new satellites every other year.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, TheFlyingKerman said:

Pol is actually very useful for mining, and for this reason I have landed on Pol more than other bodies (other than Kerbin).

Agree, during my last large mission playthrough I put the Jool system base on it. Bop has high inclination, the large 1x warp zone and low gravity so you move slowly while you can not dock with it as with Gilly :)

I can't believe I have only visited this gem once long ago. I never even surveyed it!

Thanx to the "Notice Pol Society" and the promise of ore, I am setting up initial Jool incursion via Pol this time around!

Jeb! Fire up the Moar ... EVERYTHING! :grin:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.