yo what i gotta do to put this fricking rocket into orbit without it doing frontflips

I've just launched my ship and as soon as I've launched it the payload in the fairing goes instantly like jelly, waving side to side clipping through the fairing and causing a £30000000000000000  wheel to set off 2 km off the surface of Kerbal, pls help :wink:

Edited by Jebediah2004

28 minutes ago, Jebediah2004 said:

causing a £30000000000000000  wheel to set off 2 km off the surface of Kerbal

I don't know what this means, anyway imho you should have to enable the "Advanced Tweakables" option of the main menu settings and then in the VAB
right click on some upper payload part/s in order to autostrut it/them to the "Root part" or "Haviest part". This is the way I solidify the payload or any other jelling parts.

autostruts.jpg?dl=1

If your rocket is flipping during launch, then your rocket is probably to top heavy. You can add control surfaces and rcs thrusters to help control ascent. Also, add some fuel stacks near the bottom to lower the center of mass. Lastly, you can add struts if peripheral boosters and parts are wiggling against the center of your rocket. Struts help alot for bigger ships. You really need to use all these suggestions as your rockets get heavier: 200t+.

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

13 hours ago, KLazarus said:

If your rocket is flipping during launch, then your rocket is probably to top heavy.

That's... actually the exact opposite of the problem, typically.  Rockets tend to be unstable because they're too bottom heavy-- you want them to be top-heavy, generally speaking.   Having the center of mass near the top of the rocket makes it aerodynamically stable.

13 hours ago, KLazarus said:

Also, add some fuel stacks near the bottom to lower the center of mass.

Again, this is actually the exact opposite-- if the rocket is unstable, it helps to raise the CoM, not lower it.  ;)

Use autostruts (enabled under "advanced tweakbles" in the options menu) on your capsule, connect it to the heaviest part.   That docking port on the bottom isn't that rigid and your payload is flopping around like a dead fish.   Once you get that stiffened up, see if it still flips over, and we'll work on that.    But I'd guess that floppy capsule is 95% of the issue. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.