Part ship being readied.
kAoI53t.png

Deorbit
0IMW2bX.pngYxyl9OV.png

64EGXAM.pngGAPkvPV.png

Bill at work
kDPDSVC.pngOXMAbvP.png

vWVswcb.png

The back pack can't make you fly on Duna but you can jump pretty high with one.
jfya1Aq.png

MgU4O8r.png

txDSCd1.png

Departure after checking crossflow and staging.

iiMq7w0.png

Staging
zPpF39H.pngKHb35vC.png

Orbit and fuel management

BgljtLx.png481aZjG.png

Departure from Duna SOI and fuel management
2eSNfwI.pnglYx3WFR.png

Planning encounter with Kerbin
uMbwwYG.pngwnrI9HQ.png

Fixing fuel issue. A crossflow was not enabled. And course correction

ak8yXcz.pngbCcvFxu.png

Capture and lowering orbit
aIJbSKv.png8AJ3wx9.png

fovZSgL.png

Burning retrograde till fuel exhaustion
q8tEIik.png

Lower atmosphere
57bIa7X.pngSAtyUef.png

LEfsrJw.png

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

I spammed lot of rockets asembled 1.11 and KIS/KAS *too heavy - bring more Kerbals help) in "what You did *to* KSP today?" tread.

Only hard part of the rocket is the main tank - it is heavy and there is no way to move in reasonable manner.

Engines as big as wolfhound 4-5 kerbals can move together on da Mun.

So I take some old crap like that:

9C00F4B71DB47301587FFA34894F47A7632BFEF0

missuesed by gameload when docked landed trhrou robotics, and build stuff like:

79EE7AB1B39037F26F99EC38E689968697E28031

All old controls, baterry and so one were stripped. New electronics only vessel build on side and docked (because of distance from root - it is a workaround) then struts.

Legs, antena, and so on - capsule docked on top and first "not on leg launching" from edge of crater:

16E1E9C44CB8B00859285C2B1D49EBC0A13E5A5F

or this annimal:

5E486401BDF3230EEA449DF43F6A262070048377

It is a rocket deprived of its (I guess terier by size), added cone tank that was lying around adn engine from previous tanker that get wolfhoud - on top is a roller with crew capsule. I took this from Mun to send it further to another moon when window open. It will be docked to interplanetary hauler and abused as lander.

So not only rescuing, but using for travel: scrapyard travel, our vessels are refubrishable - You get ticket cheap!

Here is another such build with capsule docked on Mun with some tourist and scientist inside - they travel Mun - Minmus:

B82515FD4829B4DB8A2EE204ED859C78724347B2

Capsule gonna get dropped from orbit in this capsule with parachutes to Kerbins atmosphere later.

And here is a chain of ship in construction on orbit:

AC6B6EAFD9E91743712FD647F2CAD04CDCE967BC

Building rocket at site to move Kerbals is not a rescue mission - it is standard procedure for travel.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:58 AM, Martian Emigrant said:

Here is my rescue mission from Duna.

Magnificent. I am loving the variety of designs the weight limitation encourages. A very neat and tidy solution: great work.

On 1/17/2021 at 9:33 AM, vv3k70r said:

Excuse my por language, but english is not my first, not even third language.

No worries: your gameplay does all the talking necessary! I'm not clear if you were only able to make the vessels you showcase using KIS/KAS or whether engineering mode could have worked, but in either way I'm grateful for your sharing in this challenge which I'm sure will inspire others.

5 hours ago, dnbattley said:

I'm not clear if you were only able to make the vessels you showcase using KIS/KAS or whether engineering mode could have worked

KIS/KAS is usefull to take "root part" from the ground to glue it to vessel to be able to move it by 1.11.

To move part that is to far from "root part" (for example when game load screw robotics and they fly in air).

And is absolutly neccesary to move engines of reasonable size ("too heavy - bring more Kerbals).

5 hours ago, dnbattley said:

but in either way I'm grateful for your sharing in this challenge which I'm sure will inspire others.

I build/refurbish older vessels. There are lot of issues in this process so it is worth to show workarounds. Specialy if there is chalenge around such topic. I do such things as daily rutine, not as a rescue missions.

Edited by vv3k70r

I have done a rescue mission back from Eve. I used KIS and KAS because the weight limits of the stock game would not have made this possible.

Although not specifically required, I started my rescue mission from Kerbin. Launch mass is 1375.23 tons. Mass in low Eve orbit is 364.022 tons. Except for the released relais satellites the rescue craft is an SSTO space plane. I resued two Kerbals from Eve.

RDlSwEe.jpg

ZY8fTsC.jpg

More pictures and full mission description: https://imgur.com/gallery/5Q4o1iA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.