[1.10.x-1.11.x] Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey [1.0.2-3] [11 Jan 2021]

Future Development Poll.  

223 members have voted

1. 1. After the Sirius update. Focus on:

• More exoplanets.
    • Homesystem (kerbol) revamp + outer planets.

Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey

guaso.png

Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey, is the successor of Galaxies Unbound: Nova Kirbani. This time expanding the kerbal universe with 50+ new worlds for you to discover. In addition GU also optionally adds the solar stellar neighbourhood accurately up to 10-15 lighyears (1/100th real distance ingame). Beyond this distance only notible and famous stars exist up to 50 lighyears. 

For those that want to visit the planets without the hassle of an interstellar trip, there is also Galaxies Unbound: HomeSwitch. This feature of Galaxies Unbound allows you to switch the stock system for one of the interstellar systems with a habitable world (each one with its own challenges).

Destinations

Spoiler

GU_Star_Map1.1.png

*Many more are indev but aren't included in the holidayrelease.

Download & Installation 

Min RAM to run this mod: (4-)8Gb (!!don't report lag issues if you have less or old pc specs!!)

Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey:
 GITHUB - SPACEDOCK (!!never install an update over previous version!!)

Galaxies Unbound: HomeSwitch: GITHUB

How to install Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey

Spoiler

1. Start with a clean 1.10 or 1.11 KSP version. (avoid adding GU on top of a heavily modded game - no support)
2. Download R-T-B's Kopernicus.
3. Download Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey via the link(s) posted above.
4. Drop the GU-folder in your GameData-folder.
--- Using Visuals. (!important!)
5. Download
Eve-Redux/Eve and/-or Scatterer for visuals.
6. Download GU_Visuals_EVE and/-or GU_Visuals_Scatterer via the Github link of Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey. And drop their respective GU-folders in GameData as well. At this point there should still be only 1 GU folder in your GameData.

unknown.png
^GU folder looks like this.

--- Before launching the game. (!important!)
1. Go to the GU folder and find the GU-GENERAL_Settings.cfg
-> Here you will decide which part of the mod will be loaded. By changing from True to False you decide how big the mod will get. 
-> All planet-systems have been enabled by default.

unknown.png

* keep in mind planets only can orbit their stars. 

2. When using EVE (clouds). You will need to go to GU_Clouds and compress/decompress the systems you picked or not. If you don't do this correctly, clouds will not show up. Alpha Centauri, Epsilon Eridani, Sirius, Tau Ceti and Trappist-1 are decompressed by default. For some planets you'll have to look in _Extra. I'm looking for a solution in the future as this part of the installationprocess is pretty annoying.

3. When using Scatterer (atm_shaders). You will need to go to GU_Scatterer and decompress the systems you picked. If you don't do this correcty clouds will not show up. Alpha Centauri, Epsilon Eridani, Sirius, Tau Ceti and Trappist-1 are decompressed by default. For some planets you'll have to look in _Extra. I'm looking for a solution in the future as this part of the installationprocess is ALSO pretty annoying.

4. When using INSTANTIATOR. Download the mod via its forumpage (it still works) and remove the exampleconfig.cfg from inside the folder. Once Kopernicus Particles work properly again, the beams will be replaced by particles instead of textures.

--- After launching the game. (!important!)

1. You need Texture quality at its highest setting. Otherwise a few worlds will spawn as black orbs. 

Settings.PNG

--- After you followed these steps and the game loaded without errors, you should be able to add more mods.
--- This should be all to get GU working! ENJOY!

--- Great tutorials by @ballisticfox0

* I will ignore most reports related to the installationprocess. 

Compatibility

Galaxies Unbound is compatible with: (!!Asking for compatibility with mod x will be ignored!!)

Spoiler

Visual:
- Distant Object Enhancement (DOE)
- Eve-Redux: Performance-enhanced Evebuild  
(- Environmental Visual Enhancements (EVE))
- Instantiator
- Parallax (no support for GU planets yet)
- Scatterer (0.0723)
- Sigma Replacements: Skybox
- Singularity (can impact fps)

Gameplay
BetterTimeWarpContinued (you really want this)
- Rational Resources
- Researchbodies 

Parts:
- Alcubierre Warp Drive (Standalone)
- Blueshift: Kerbal FTL
Interstellar Technologies - A KSPI-E Expansion
KSP Interstellar Extended
- OPT Spaceplane Continued and OPT Legacy

* GU adds its own parts (engines, tanks, commdishes, ... thx to @JadeOfMaar)

Planetmods:

- Galaxies Unbound: HomeSwitch
- Beyond Home (not homeswitch compatible)
- Corelian 

- ExtraSolar 
- GEP 
- GPP (primary only! - not homeswitch compatible)
- OPM 
- LightLevels Series
- Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered (Coming Soon)
- JNSQ (Coming Soon)
* Keep in mind not all mods are confirmed to work in 1.11 - add at own risk

Galaxies Unbound is not compatible with: 

Spoiler

- Other visual mods (AVP, SVT, ...)

Featuring Galaxies Unbound

- Manned Interstellar Mission to Thythe by Temitelko44 
- GU Unofficial Cinematic Trailer by Shbibe
Galaxies Unbound: Visiting every planet! (Nova Kirbani A) by ballisticfox

Bugs and Questions

Bugs might have been fixed by now but here's a list of bugs encountered while testing.

- Zooming in trackingstation causes crafts to overheat and explode. (known bug - kopernicus)
- FPS drop, reports of FPS drops are a general issue in 1.10 - 1.11 modded games. (under investigation)
- Crafts on surface load in air (should be fixed)
- Solarpanels pointing at wrong star (should be fixed)
- Parts clip into terrain (known bug - kopernicus)

For questions, feel free to post here or ask me on Discord. If you want to report a possible bug, please provide evidence (screenshot or (link to) logs).

unknown.png

Keep in mind this mod is still growing, much more will be added and fixed.

Requests, ignorant and hatefull behaviour will be ignored.

guaso2.png

guaso3.png

guaso1.png

Special thx to

@TheSpacePotato@ballisticfox0@R-T-B@blackrack@JadeOfMaar@Poodmund@Hpl@Bootes@Cyne@Shawn Kerman@TR_HyDra@Calvin Kerman@AntaresMC @Shbibe @light - (list incomplete)

This mod is licensed by Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)

If for any reason, I am no longer active on this forum, I request that this mod and its content shall remain untouched and dies in silence. 

Edited by StarCrusher96

@StarCrusher96,

I understand your mod is in closed beta.   Unfortunately, I get bug reports about it sometime, and as Kopernicus's chief dev, I can't help diagnose them if I can't reproduce them.  Can I get access to the closed beta for "reproduction of bugs" purposes?  Obviously your license/distribution terms would be obeyed by the Kopernicus team, whatever they may be.

Thanks, await your reply in PM.

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

@StarCrusher96,

I understand your mod is in closed beta.   Unfortunately, I get bug reports about it sometime, and as Kopernicus's chief dev, I can't help diagnose them if I can't reproduce them.  Can I get access to the closed beta for "reproduction of bugs" purposes?  Obviously your license/distribution terms would be obeyed by the Kopernicus team, whatever they may be.

Thanks, await your reply in PM.

Don't wanna spread false news, but I am guessing it comes out today (21st) judging by the title. Unless hes from the future...

Edited by NateDaBeast
57 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

Don't wanna spread false news, but I am guessing it comes out today (21st) judging by the title. Unless hes from the future...

That would simplify things... lol  We'll see.

Do I need a really god computer for the end product? Like I'm running opm, gep with scatter full quality and EVE with like 10-15 fps, could I be able to run the end product from this development with like 40-60 fps?

10 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

Do I need a really god computer for the end product? Like I'm running opm, gep with scatter full quality and EVE with like 10-15 fps, could I be able to run the end product from this development with like 40-60 fps?

I'll explain it later, when i'll be releasing but everything in the mod can be loaded optionally. So you can choose to load only 1 star with its planets and save fps if you dont got a high end computer or in case you have you can load all the systems.

Edited by StarCrusher96

Downloading now!

9 minutes ago, KawaiiLucy said:

While the download is going on, what's the best mods to be able to go to these stars? The Alcubierre Drive from USI seems to be the go-to but is there any other?

You could try that or check our FarFutureTechnologies from Nertea.

12 minutes ago, KawaiiLucy said:

While the download is going on, what's the best mods to be able to go to these stars? The Alcubierre Drive from USI seems to be the go-to but is there any other?

If you want what alot of people on the GU Discord use, use KSPI. You have Beefy thrusters actually intended for interstellar travel.