[1.11.x - 1.12.3] Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey™ [1.3.1]&[1.4.3] [27June 2023]

StarCrusher96

8 hours ago, Astraph said:

Hey there :) Just in case - is your star pack compatible with Sigma Dimensions? I seem to be getting some error messages on startup, but upon getting into a bunch of errors related to Dimensions... But upon startup, I don't see any issues - planets in Tracking Station look ok-ish and there seem to be no issues with how the atmospheres/surfaces are displayed...

Actually, just had another thought... How exactly are stars spaced in your pack? Are the distances real-life (so ~3.4 ly to Kiribani, etc), or are they compressed to KSP's regular 0.1x? I kinda want the increased challenge from the 3.5x scale system I usually use, but I also don't want to get truly 30 ly spacing between closest stars ^^'

I have yet to make GU compatible (doesn't mean it already could work, but it hasn't been tested yet by me) with Sigma Dimensions. I can tell you for sure scaling up the mod will cause bugs related to KSP 1 not being made for interstellar gameplay. 

As mentioned on page 1, GU interstellar distances are 1/100th of the real deal. Still it takes a long time to get anywhere. It now occupies around 1 ly real space. (0.5 radius), I've noticed minor bugs start to appear somewhere around 0.3 ly (visuals looking weird in trackingstation etc ...). Mods that claim to be bigger and not have these bugs = claiming ice doesn't melt during a hot summer day.

Edited by StarCrusher96

39 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Lets be honest...

You got that from beyond home.

No idea, never played that mod. (i just went checking if this is indeed the case as i only wrote a patch for it so far.) 
This is actually Jakku inspired.

* I also like to mention there is no monopoly on 'concepts', in that case i'd put some people out of business.

Edited by StarCrusher96

14 minutes ago, Thatguywholikesionengines said:

Been trying to install the modpack as it looks amazing, and following the instructions to the letter, but... Where would the GU-General settings cfg file be? Is there a file path, or did I install the wrong? I just got the stellar odyssey zip from github.

That cfg can be found in the Gu folder. Somewhere down the list.

25 minutes ago, Thatguywholikesionengines said:

Couldn't find the cfg, the video tutorial went on without it, so I launched the game, and... It gets stuck on patching after applying 68 of them, leaving it stuck at 32%... During this, it becomes a massive memory hog. https://imgur.com/a/619CoNs

unknown.png  
'GU_GENERAL_Settings ^it's in every download of GU. Otherwise the game wouldn't even start to load.

I have a problem with how inferus is displayed, first off, is there ANY land, at all that is not a ground scatter of some kind, if not, THAT IS A BIG ISSUE, as you cannot plan a landing location whatsoever, Im doing a space race in GU, and inferus seems near impossible(scatters unload when you switch out of load range, So the base falls into the lava, and gets destroyed, because there is not actual land on it, I feel like inferus should have solid landmasses on the night side, it's tidally locked, so the night side would be much colder than the day side(still very hot, but cool enough that rocks survive not melted.

52 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

I have a problem with how inferus is displayed, first off, is there ANY land, at all that is not a ground scatter of some kind, if not, THAT IS A BIG ISSUE, as you cannot plan a landing location whatsoever, Im doing a space race in GU, and inferus seems near impossible(scatters unload when you switch out of load range, So the base falls into the lava, and gets destroyed, because there is not actual land on it, I feel like inferus should have solid landmasses on the night side, it's tidally locked, so the night side would be much colder than the day side(still very hot, but cool enough that rocks survive not melted.

There is land on the dark side. There are a lot of heat issues so bring lots of radiators.screenshot285.png

could someone write a patch/config/whatever so the stockalike mining extension pumps can extract liquid fuel from the oil seas of one of the near-kerbin brown dwarf orbiting planets (forgot name)? Or is it better if I post this in the SME thread?

20 minutes ago, Rocketry101 said:

does this give visuals for stock system because if not im not removing avp to install this

GU has its own optional* stock visuals. But thanks for sharing you do not want to install this mod because of AVP.  Not that i didn't mention it on page 1 right? :wink:

Edited by StarCrusher96

Hey, 

The contract system's asking me to explore Kax A* immediately after Minmus. 

Obviously that's a bit... out of my reach right now, is there a way around this? I tried waiting out the contract but it just pops back up again. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I see there's no easy answer for that. Whoops!

Edited by Kielm

@StarCrusher96 For a mod like Galaxies Unbound, which has multiple star systems, how is that set up? Does each star orbit around a common central object? Do stars orbit each other?

I ask because I am trying to figure out how to tell when a vessel reaches interstellar space. If I can figure it out then I can give a boost to a vessel’s warp speed...

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

@StarCrusher96 For a mod like Galaxies Unbound, which has multiple star systems, how is that set up? Does each star orbit around a common central object? Do stars orbit each other?

I ask because I am trying to figure out how to tell when a vessel reaches interstellar space. If I can figure it out then I can give a boost to a vessel’s warp speed...

So basically everything orbits Kerbol  - Sun, its SOI remains infinite and the other stars orbit it with a fixed SOI.  Their orbital speed is basically 0 and the orbit lines are hidden. Why i'm not using a central black hole? That's because it gives you endless bugs related to KSP not being made to work like that. Kerbin MUST orbit Sun (or the central object of the game) in order for the game to work properly. 
I added several asteroidbelts around Sun (like an Oortcloud) that kinda gives away when you leave the system. But technically you're always inside the 'Sun' System.

16 hours ago, Kielm said:

The contract system's asking me to explore Kax A* immediately after Minmus.

I'd recommed giving exploration plus (contract pack) a try. My testing so far leads me to believe, that it always gives you Eve as a destination after Minmus, and eases the progression towards more distant bodies. I haven't gotten very far so can't confirm tho. When going interstellar you probably won't be dependant on contracts anyway I suppose.