[1.11.x - 1.12.3] Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey™ [1.3.1]&[1.4.3] [27June 2023]

StarCrusher96

The mod is so big that my game can't run it and it crashed on the start no matter how low the graphics is

11 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

You'll need the whole GU mod and disable everything but NK.

How do I disable everything else though, just delete everything aside from NK stars, planets, clouds, config, and barycenters?

4 hours ago, Sirius K said:

The mod is so big that my game can't run it and it crashed on the start no matter how low the graphics is

How do I disable everything else though, just delete everything aside from NK stars, planets, clouds, config, and barycenters?

You might want to take a look at the installationguide or clip.

unknown.png

You'll set every thing but AC to false. And remove the Cloud and Scatterer configs related to other systems. 

Edited by StarCrusher96

Hello,

This mod seems great.

But I'm a bit confused about the installation. If I enable all the planets (which is by default) there are zip files to decompress in the GU_clouds and GU_scatterer folders. (yes I use scatterer and EVE redux)

Do I have to move the files from _Extra_lists or _Extra folders? Or do I just leave the decompressed files there?

10 hours ago, Factor_X said:

Hello,

This mod seems great.

But I'm a bit confused about the installation. If I enable all the planets (which is by default) there are zip files to decompress in the GU_clouds and GU_scatterer folders. (yes I use scatterer and EVE redux)

Do I have to move the files from _Extra_lists or _Extra folders? Or do I just leave the decompressed files there?

I think the compressed files are removed in the latest version but if they're not, then leave the decompressed folders where the zip file is located.

Thank you.

I'm new to modding KSP and I wondered if the location of the config files was important. But it's only the file content which is important apparently.

There are ZIP files at these locations :

GU/GU-Clouds/_Extra (config files for EVE clouds)

GU/GU_scatterer/_Extra_lists (config files for scatterer)

I just decompressed every zip without moving/renaming the files and left them there just like that. But .... its' a little confusing :) because you have systems like Alpha Centauri, Epsilon, Sirius, etc in GU_scatterer and other systems like 3PiOrionis, Barnard Star, etc....located in GU_scatterer\_Extra_lists !.........confusing :) 

Anyway. Thank you for your answer and thank you sooooo much for this mod. It's exactly what I was looking for. It's a HUGE mod. And the only way to get a proper RESCALE with KSP 1.11 (I think)

I use it with KSPIE and the game is just amazing. That's what I call space exploration :) Keep up the good work.

Hello! I was playing around with disabling certain stars/systems in GU-GENERAL_Settings.cfg and found that disabling the Luhman system also breaks Scatterer (and maybe EVE) on Kerbin.

If I switch these settings from 'True' to 'False', scatterer water, atmosphere, etc. on Kerbin no longer functions correctly (water vanishes, leaving a kind of 'blue basin' effect; atmosphere no longer looks correct, weird shadows on planet in main game screen after load and in flight/tracking, odd-looking clouds, etc.):

Luhman_BROWNDWARFS = False
Luhman_PLANETS = False

At least I *believe* it's these two settings. I switched three others to 'False' as well (specifically: LOAD_KSS_Objects_TheALL,  LOAD_MamaJek, and LOAD_Singularity), but they seem to have no negative effects.

Changing the Luhman settings back to 'True' restored scatterer effects.

Hopefully easy to reproduce it!

Sorry but I have so many questions :

1) Is it necessary to install the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Configs-1.2.2.1. These are the default config files for EVE. I didn't install those, just the EVE Redux folder. But EVE says in-game that it's missing config files (EVE_ATMOSPHERE, EVE_TERRAIN, etc....)

2) It seems my game takes 10 minutes to start!!!  Just to load the main menu. Wow. This is a.....game-breaker. Especially with a game like KSP. I only play with KSPIE and Stellar odyssey (....and a few mods)

I wonder if it's because of the textures contained in GU. That's a huge size to load. Is it possible maybe to optimize the textures? to gain some loading time.

My game takes exactly 10minutes to start. That's too long. Other than that, it works like a charm. And I have good FPS. An no crash for now

3) Is it possible in the future to see this great mod in CKAN? It's the only mod I couldnt find on CKAN :)

39 minutes ago, Factor_X said:

My game takes exactly 10minutes to start. That's too long. Other than that, it works like a charm. And I have good FPS. An no crash for now

thats normal for mods to take so long, my bdb install takes roughly 30 minutes and formely my Bd armory install took around 2 hours

3 hours ago, Factor_X said:

1) Is it necessary to install the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Configs-1.2.2.1. These are the default config files for EVE. I didn't install those, just the EVE Redux folder. But EVE says in-game that it's missing config files (EVE_ATMOSPHERE, EVE_TERRAIN, etc....)

2) It seems my game takes 10 minutes to start!!!  Just to load the main menu. Wow. This is a.....game-breaker. Especially with a game like KSP. I only play with KSPIE and Stellar odyssey (....and a few mods)

I wonder if it's because of the textures contained in GU. That's a huge size to load. Is it possible maybe to optimize the textures? to gain some loading time.

3) Is it possible in the future to see this great mod in CKAN? It's the only mod I couldnt find on CKAN :)

It's probably because loading textures etc. takes very long to load. If you delete (don't know about zipping) all the files you don't want to use, it loads much quicker. With only 3 Systems and a whole bunch of other mods it takes me around 15 mins, without the system and just keeping the visuals its about 6 mins.

8 hours ago, Factor_X said:

1. All you need is normal EVE and the GU_Clouds folder that contains the configs for GU. With GU_Clouds, you just need to merge its contents with the normal GU folder.

2. GU is a big mod. It takes a while to load, and there really isn't anything that can be done. Textures could be shrunk, but it would lower the quality of the mod. You could manually remove some textures and planets, as well as not load with clouds if you want to save a couple minutes.

3. I don't think StarCrusher is going to add it to CKAN, but maybe some day.

11 hours ago, Factor_X said:

1. I'll check that out- however not gamebreaking
2. Normal and average loading time (happens with other mods too). GU is optimized as much as possible. 
3. Maybe in the future. I do not consider CKAN a standard tool for distribution and i'm figuring things out as i do not completely understand it.

On 2/4/2021 at 1:39 AM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Hello! I was playing around with disabling certain stars/systems in GU-GENERAL_Settings.cfg and found that disabling the Luhman system also breaks Scatterer (and maybe EVE) on Kerbin.

If I switch these settings from 'True' to 'False', scatterer water, atmosphere, etc. on Kerbin no longer functions correctly (water vanishes, leaving a kind of 'blue basin' effect; atmosphere no longer looks correct, weird shadows on planet in main game screen after load and in flight/tracking, odd-looking clouds, etc.):

Luhman_BROWNDWARFS = False
Luhman_PLANETS = False

At least I *believe* it's these two settings. I switched three others to 'False' as well (specifically: LOAD_KSS_Objects_TheALL,  LOAD_MamaJek, and LOAD_Singularity), but they seem to have no negative effects.

Changing the Luhman settings back to 'True' restored scatterer effects.

Hopefully easy to reproduce it!

i have done a LOT of testing , i found out that its not just luhman , if you disable anything with a planet  = breaks scatterer ocean and clouds . If you disable too many planet systems or brycenters = breaks the mod doesnt even load .

You can disable all the ambient stuff and the all (not the pulsar it has a planet) and any stars that dont have planets and disable asteroids around the sun to squash it down but still almost on 17gb with kspie, mk2e , and colour depot and their dependancies i only have about 2gbs worth of mods that i use , love the mod just wish it wasnt so cruel on ram.

Finally I made my mind about my definitive mod list.

I will give it a try. Here it is (39 mods installed) :

BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
BreakingGround-DLC (BreakingGround-DLC (unmanaged))
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.99)
Chatterer Extended (ChattererExtended 0.6.2)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.15)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.2)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.3)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.5)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations Reborn (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2:3.7.2.3)
Contract Pack: Clever Sats (ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.4)
Contract Pack: Exploration Plus (ContractConfigurator-ExplorationPlus 2.0.1)
Contract Pack: Field Research (ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.2.2)
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy (ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy 1.1.10)
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus (ContractConfigurator-Tourism 1.5.2)
Crowd Sourced Science (CrowdSourcedScience v6.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.2.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.2.0)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.2.1)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 1.10.0-3485)
Flag Pack (FlagPack v1.1.1)
Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 3.23)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 3.23)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.8.3)
Kerbal Health (KerbalHealth v1.3.8)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (KerbalJointReinforcementContinued v3.5.2)
Kerbal Renamer (KerbalRenamer v1.4.0)
KSP Interstellar Extended (KSPInterstellarExtended 1.26.18)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.11.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.4)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0723)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0723)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0723)
Star Trek Uniform pack for TextureReplacer (StarTrekRebootUniformPack 1.00)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v4.3.1)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1:1.8.0.5)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.4.4.5)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.2.6)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

Essentially it's built like this :

Environment/Visuals : Galaxy Unbound a Stellar Odyssey + EVE redux + scatterer + Distant Object

Tech/Parts : KSP Interstellar Extended

Kerbals customization : Final Frontier, Texture Replacer, Renamer

Life Support : Kerbal Health

My ultimate goal : Acquire the FTL drive and land on Atlas in the Pi3Orionis system....difficulty settings : hard :)

.....Impossible

1 hour ago, Factor_X said:

WOW! What is this? Is this from in-game??? I want the same!

yup those are all in game and in the current release just with a grayscale filter

All are in the Kespilon Kirilani

first pic is blud or cyll around Ael (hard to tell as there colors really separate them as they are both icy dust balls with deep canyons) 

second is Aio, a lava moon, that is around Thythe

third is Fen? around tias (I can tell by the ring gap) a bright gas giant that has a very unique color. The little dot in the background is tritae

20 hours ago, sentient mirage said:

i have done a LOT of testing , i found out that its not just luhman , if you disable anything with a planet  = breaks scatterer ocean and clouds . If you disable too many planet systems or brycenters = breaks the mod doesnt even load .

You can disable all the ambient stuff and the all (not the pulsar it has a planet) and any stars that dont have planets and disable asteroids around the sun to squash it down but still almost on 17gb with kspie, mk2e , and colour depot and their dependancies i only have about 2gbs worth of mods that i use , love the mod just wish it wasnt so cruel on ram.

If you'd have checked the installationguide or clip. You'd know the answer. The mod works as it should. This report is irrelevant.

8 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

With scatterer/EVE and GU, I'm getting some floating terrain features (midair rocks on the Mun, for instance) - anyone else have this? Or have I installed something incorrectly, maybe? Latest Kopernicus bleeding edge (75, I think).

Floaters happen but i only recall them happening when hyperditing.

Edited by StarCrusher96

Ive been doing mods and playing ksp for 8 years your installation guide is a little out of date since people seem to be getting confused over the unzipped data folders you can download seperate vs the zipped ones that come with it , but thats fine i know what im doing with mods and do them all manualy i never use ckan .  Just tried testing again with no mods and disabling any system with a planet still breaks the clouds and ocean but NOT the mod, - that only broke for me if i  disable too many large systems with planets, but then you do state that in your own readme file that editing too much of it will break gu .

Again thank you for this great mod :)

3 hours ago, sentient mirage said:

Ive been doing mods and playing ksp for 8 years your installation guide is a little out of date since people seem to be getting confused over the unzipped data folders you can download seperate vs the zipped ones that come with it , but thats fine i know what im doing with mods and do them all manualy i never use ckan .  Just tried testing again with no mods and disabling any system with a planet still breaks the clouds and ocean but NOT the mod, - that only broke for me if i  disable too many large systems with planets, but then you do state that in your own readme file that editing too much of it will break gu .

Again thank you for this great mod :)

I'll write some stuff down about what i think you might want to check.  Hope it helps.
Disabling/Enabling planets.
1.  You have to zip their visuals as well. It works both ways, enabling = unzipping , disabling = zipping
2.  Disabling stars also means disabling its planets. The game will otherwise start looking for planets that do not exist and will start making bugs.
Sadly there will never be a perfect way to handle visuals as they're not as flexible as Kopernicus. So i'll be looking into overcoming this 'confusing' step. If you keep track of these steps, it will work 100% sure.  

Edited by StarCrusher96

1 hour ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I'll write some stuff down about what i think you might want to check.  Hope it helps.
Disabling/Enabling planets.
1.  You have to zip their visuals as well. It works both ways, enabling = unzipping , disabling = zipping
2.  Disabling stars also means disabling its planets. The game will otherwise start looking for planets that do not exist and will start making bugs.
Sadly there will never be a perfect way to handle visuals as they're not as flexible as Kopernicus. So i'll be looking into overcoming this 'confusing' step. If you keep track of these steps, it will work 100% sure.  

1. i understand fully how to install mods for years , never even had a problem with full install i recognised the packs you get seperate were already unzipped   2. i fully understand that ,

the mod itsself works beautifully - however , after disabling just a few stars and their planets (im aware i have to match both) i was having issues with the clouds and ocean dissapearing although only slightly and seems to only be in the stock system only , your planets were fine , even the rings were fine , so then i tried disabling more systems that broke the clouds and ocean completely , at this point 9 hours later i tried by disabling them all one by one untill i discovered that the mod remains perfectly fine as long as you dont disable anything that has a planet and that includes the pulsar - disabling all ambient stars and stars with no planets seem also be fine, so as your warning file states - the more you try to disable the more it will malfunction - might not be your mod at all could be kop and eve since they have had multiple changes / updates since you released your mod which i love btw ive been using kspie for 2 years i create massive super heavy star cruisers and this mod is my dream come true - i just need to buy more ram lol ty for the mod im also eager to try beyond home