[1.11.x - 1.12.3] Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey™ [1.3.1]&[1.4.3] [27June 2023]

StarCrusher96

Here are a bunch of the GU objects above 0.85x Earth radius on the exoplanet mass-radius relationship diagram. Smaller planets won't fit, and I didn't include the TRAPPIST analogue planets because their real-life counterparts have already been plotted on such diagrams. Also, the 0.9-1.1x Earth radius section is way too crowded. All planets were converted up to IRL scale (10x the radius and 100x the mass).

PCe4NkR.png

Teeb, Tide, Infurus, Atlas, Phobor, and Liolan are all >50% iron by mass and are technically iron planets. Teec, Blalo, Narath, Kaith, Eolus, Sicar, and Aquel have a relatively Earth-like mix of silicates and iron.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

3 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Here are a bunch of the GU objects above 0.85x Earth radius on the exoplanet mass-radius relationship diagram. Smaller planets won't fit, and I didn't include the TRAPPIST analogue planets because their real-life counterparts have already been plotted on such diagrams. Also, the 0.9-1.1x Earth radius section is way too crowded. All planets were converted up to IRL scale (10x the radius and 100x the mass).

PCe4NkR.png

Teeb, Tide, Infurus, Atlas, Phobor, and Liolan are all >50% iron by mass and are technically iron planets. Teec, Blalo, Narath, Kaith, Eolus, Sicar, and Aquel have a relatively Earth-like mix of silicates and iron.

Do you got suggestions for other parameters? I'm interested in what's happening up there :)

2 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Do you got suggestions for other parameters? I'm interested in what's happening up there :)

Liolan (Tau Ceti f) really needs to be puffed up. There's no need to alter any of the other planets; I really like the variety of compositions for the <2 Earth mass planets. Maybe there could be some more Super-Earths, Mega-Earths, and Mini-Neptunes in the 1.5-2.5 Earth radius range for future systems for variety? They would be a lot more difficult to land on or take off from, but if they're far enough from the star, there's opportunity for a lot of big moons.

Although if I ever publish a planet pack with a bunch of systems from my K2 Campaigns 13-18 survey, there'll be no shortage of 1.5-2.5 Re planets lol. At least 60% of the planets from just Campaigns 16, 17, and 18 are in that size range, and while I haven't finished refining parameters for the other three Campaigns' candidates, the percentage of 1.5-2.5 Re planets appears to be a little higher. There are even a couple of planets that are decent candidates for being Mega-Earths.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:06 PM, StarCrusher96 said:

Cheats - ignore max temp.

Thanks

I was changing the configs (I love Rhan but don't like the fact it's tidally locked when I'm using it as a homeworld; slowly rotating planets are difficult to live on) and noticed that there is information about axial tilts. Is this significant?

Also - not sure if it's known, but the stock clouds configs in GU don't have the NEEDS !Homeswitch things which breaks the clouds if a homeswitch is installed. Since I left the zip in there I just deleted the unzipped file and they work fine but it would be nice if we didn't have to do that

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

On 3/22/2021 at 6:32 AM, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Thanks

I was changing the configs (I love Rhan but don't like the fact it's tidally locked when I'm using it as a homeworld; slowly rotating planets are difficult to live on) and noticed that there is information about axial tilts. Is this significant?

Also - not sure if it's known, but the stock clouds configs in GU don't have the NEEDS !Homeswitch things which breaks the clouds if a homeswitch is installed. Since I left the zip in there I just deleted the unzipped file and they work fine but it would be nice if we didn't have to do that

The information's (about axial tilts) there because there were once mods that could provide tilt and i was starting to work on patches. However they all have been terminated or no longer provide the tools i need for GU.

As for those clouds, if you check the installation clips and i think there was one for a homeswitch. It stated you have to compress the stock clouds because those of Epsilon Eridani take over once a homeswitch's there. Sadly EVE isn't keen on any MM nodes so it's very tricky to get them to work. With the easiest solution, being the compressing of the stock folder and let the simple edits to EE-system adjust to a new home. If you want an easier set up, you might want to ask the dev of EVE to provide.

Edited by StarCrusher96

It would seem I lost asteroids from Kerbol system with this? I have 2 IR scanners, one above and one below Kerbin. I have ~45 objects found, all of which are around the other stars? Also have a find comets contract (around Kerbol), and not looking likely to find any?

Thanks for what seems like amazing work. Wanted to earn my way to the stars, so starting up with Far Future.

Edited by teelaurila

16 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

wow nice! Mind contacting me about GU + Parallax?

Thanks. I haven't been able to find any documentation on using Parallax, so my results have been from playing around with it. I am using KSP 1.11.2 along with the latest versions of Parallax and Parallax_StockTexures. There seems to be two main files that GU needs to add: ParallaxTerrain.cfg and IncreaseSubdivisionCount.cfg.

I mainly embarked on this for my personal game and I cannot attest to the technical validity of my efforts in terms of correct application of Parallax optimization. My plan over the next few days, is to include more GU bodies using Parallax. I will be happy to send you the files that I come up with.

Edited by Observe

I apologize in advance for what I am saying... I bought KSP for my 6 year old because he loves all things space and of course he started wanting mods. So I downloaded GU. It's not working. Obv I'm new to KSP and new to mods so keep that in mind. We have the most recent KSP version, 1.11.2 and the most recent GU version. I downloaded all the zip folders and extracted them to the Game Data folder. I'm testing it by running KSP in Sandbox mode. I really feel like I'm missing something obvious so if you could please try to help, I would appreciate it. Thanks

1 hour ago, spacegamer7 said:

I apologize in advance for what I am saying... I bought KSP for my 6 year old because he loves all things space and of course he started wanting mods. So I downloaded GU. It's not working. Obv I'm new to KSP and new to mods so keep that in mind. We have the most recent KSP version, 1.11.2 and the most recent GU version. I downloaded all the zip folders and extracted them to the Game Data folder. I'm testing it by running KSP in Sandbox mode. I really feel like I'm missing something obvious so if you could please try to help, I would appreciate it. Thanks

A general set of guidelines that might help, no promises:

1. Many mods require other mods to function, or are themselves split into multiple parts. For instance, GU requires Kopernicus, which is composed of two parts: Kopernicus itself, and ModularFlightIntegrator; Kopernicus and everything else that uses Kopernicus also requires ModuleManager. Always check for mods' dependencies. Sometimes these are noted clearly on a mod's main forum post, sometimes they're not - you may have to do some looking and definitely need to do some careful reading, possibly even most of the time. In the case of GU, you'll need to read the "How to install" section on the first post of this thread. HOWEVER, the link to Kopernicus included in that description is incorrect - instead, go here and download the version of Kopernicus for 1.11 (it's the ZIP with 1.11 in the name): https://github.com/kopernicus/kopernicus/releases

2. Most mods, but not all, are packaged in such a way that they try to show you how to organize folders by the way they are organized in the .zip file you download. For instance: when you download GU, you get a ZIP file with a series of folders inside it. Always open the folders and look around for a moment - you're looking for a GameData subfolder (if it exists). If it does exist, then the mod intends for you to put the folders *inside that GameData folder* into KSP's GameData folder. If no GameData folder exists inside the .zip file, then the mod probably intends for you to put whatever folder(s) you see in the .zip (without digging) into KSP's GameData folder. Because mods are all made by different folks with different ways of thinking, the folder structures inside ZIPs aren't always the same. Sometimes, you have to make educated guesses as to what's intended.

3. The inside of your KSP GameData folder should look like this if you've installed GU correctly, *with its dependencies* - of course, you might have other folders in there too, but at least these should be there along with whatever else you've got going on. (Note: ModuleManager is also required for just about every other mod out there, and it will generate some files that will appear in GameData after you run the game with it installed.) Pic here:

gu_install.png?dl=1

4. Some parts of some mods are optional, such as the 'visuals' and Parts bits of GU. You can choose whether you want those or not. If you do, they may have additional dependencies.

5. The general logic of mods is thus: They're going to give you a .zip, and inside that zip will be one or more folder(s) intended to go into <KSP Directory Here>/GameData. Make sure the mod has any other mods it needs in order to function, and look around inside the .zip file to see if there's any obvious hints as to which folders are supposed to be the ones that go in GameData.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

I have some Problems with the provided EVE (definitely) and Scatterer (maybe) Options. The EVE Features on all Planets are gone when I copy the GU_Visuals_EVE and GU_Visuals_Scatterer Folders into my Game. IIRC are the white Atmospheres caused by Scatterer Problems but I'm not 100% sure on that, because other Scatterer Things like Sunsets and Water work normally. I'm playing on 1.10.1 with the latest Scatterer and EVE-Redux Versions and Stock Visual Enhancements. The output_log.txt File is very large so I will upload it only if neccessary.

KSP_x64 2021-04-05 12-56-14-430KSP_x64 2021-04-05 12-52-20-079

Logs:

ModuleManager.ConfigCache:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16wPQDMcclEmylGJPG1qXsWcOz7LME-20/view?usp=sharing

KSP.log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V83GNIt55zGCoY1kgEhBJm4Q0GKQMXyo/view?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, derbleifuss said:

I have some Problems with the provided EVE (definitely) and Scatterer (maybe) Options. The EVE Features on all Planets are gone when I copy the GU_Visuals_EVE and GU_Visuals_Scatterer Folders into my Game. IIRC are the white Atmospheres caused by Scatterer Problems but I'm not 100% sure on that, because other Scatterer Things like Sunsets and Water work normally. I'm playing on 1.10.1 with the latest Scatterer and EVE-Redux Versions and Stock Visual Enhancements. The output_log.txt File is very large so I will upload it only if neccessary.

At the beginning of the forum, the mod author states that other visual packs such as SVE are not compatible. GU provides it's own visuals for planets.

On 12/21/2020 at 3:14 AM, StarCrusher96 said:

--- Before launching the game. (!important!)
1. Go to the GU folder and find the GU-GENERAL_Settings.cfg
-> Here you will decide which part of the mod will be loaded. By changing from True to False you decide how big the mod will get. 
-> All planet-systems have been enabled by default.

unknown.png

* keep in mind planets only can orbit their stars. 

will RealisticNames code work in the latest ver. of this mod?

2 hours ago, IsuckatKSP said:

At the beginning of the forum, the mod author states that other visual packs such as SVE are not compatible. GU provides it's own visuals for planets.

I also tried it without SVE, do I have to remove EVE and Scatterer too?

If you want visuals you need to have EVE and Scatterer installed and GU uses it's own configs on that. However, if you removed SVE and it didn't work then I will not be able to help much as I do not know much about this sort of stuff.  Maybe the video at the beginning of the post can help.

17 hours ago, spacegamer7 said:

Hi, 
Did you check the installationclips on page 1? Most problems should be tackled by watching those. 
If problems persist, don't be affraid to contact me.

2 hours ago, derbleifuss said:

I also tried it without SVE, do I have to remove EVE and Scatterer too?

can you share your logs or a screen of your GameData?

50 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Hi, 
Did you check the installationclips on page 1? Most problems should be tackled by watching those. 
If problems persist, don't be affraid to contact me.

can you share your logs or a screen of your GameData?

Haven't checked the Clips yet; I just installed it like any other Mod by copying the Folders into GameData.

Here's the Screenshot for now. I repaced the GU_Visuals with SVE again after removing it didn't help and also got Pood's OPM VO. Getting it back the Way it should be for providing the correct Log Files will take a While, mostly because of the long Load Times.

bandicam 2021-04-05 21-03-49-559

Talking about SVE and OPM: What are your Plans for more Kerbol Planets, according to the Poll? I really like the Concept of OPM recreating the real beyond Jupiter/Jool Planets so it would be great having something similar in this Planet Pack and thus rendering OPM obsolete. Similarly, do the GU_Visuals add Clouds etc. to the stock Kerbol Planets? I'd like to replace SVE too but definitely prioritize the Kerbin System over other Stars.

EDIT: The Install Video is so quiet that I can barely hear it over my Jet Engine Laptop, so maybe I have to fix my Headset before it can help me :D

Edited by derbleifuss