[1.11.x - 1.12.3] Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey™ [1.3.1]&[1.4.3] [27June 2023]

StarCrusher96

so for the short time that I used this mod early in my career mode, I absolutely loved gawking at all of the star systems I could potentially go to, this mod is very impressive. I just wish It didn't cause my computer so much grief. I had to uninstall it early on so I could just do some basic missions. Are there any tips for optimizing this mod? specs are I7-7700 @4 GHz CPU; RTX 2070 Super; 32GB DDR4 RAM

4 minutes ago, Bitrefresh said:

so for the short time that I used this mod early in my career mode, I absolutely loved gawking at all of the star systems I could potentially go to, this mod is very impressive. I just wish It didn't cause my computer so much grief. I had to uninstall it early on so I could just do some basic missions. Are there any tips for optimizing this mod? specs are I7-7700 @4 GHz CPU; RTX 2070 Super; 32GB DDR4 RAM

Weird I have almost exactly the same specs and it runs pretty well, you can always disable some of the planets in other systems as they aren't need unless you are visiting the system. Just turn off  the system in the config file and compress the visuals. 

Edited by ballisticfox0

31 minutes ago, ballisticfox0 said:

you can always disable some of the planets in other systems as they aren't need unless you are visiting the system. 

I'll probably give that a try. You know one of the main things I really liked about the mod is how it handled sunflares, I'd be really interested in knowing how that works. I think the vanilla scatterer sunflares are pretty underwhelming, almost non-existent really.

19 hours ago, Bitrefresh said:

Uninstalling Singularity / Instantiator helps a lot.

3 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

Uninstalling Singularity / Instantiator helps a lot.

Can confirm, after uninstalling singularity my performance with this mod improved a lot. Instantiator didnt cause such issues for me.

Went from the game freezing every 10 seconds in the tracking station to a pretty consistent 50fps on my low-end setup.

Are you planning to add analogues of the other potential planets around your Tau Ceti interpretation?  While only 4 are confirmed so far, a couple of recent studies have brought up the possibility of a Jupiter analogue, another planet in the HZ, and the original three inner candidates actually being real.

A 2018/19 study using Gaia astrometric data (Kervella et al) noticed a shift of around 11.3 m/s, which could be from a Jovian-mass planet (1-2 Mj) in an orbit anywhere from 3 AU to 20 AU from the star. Unfortunately, that's as much constraint as they were able to obtain, which isn't much. Since the debris disk is roughly between 6.2 AU and 52 AU (with a high amount of uncertainty), I would have to guess that either this "Tau Ceti i" orbits around 3-6 AU and closer than the inner limit of the disk, or it orbits further out and has carved a so-far unseen gap. 

A more recent study, Dietrich and Apai 2020, used the DYNAMITE algorithm to explore the architecture of the Tau Ceti system. DYNAMITE takes into account exoplanet population statistics and information of the target system to predict the orbits of additional planets, and has been used successfully on a few dozen TESS systems by the same authors of this paper. When taking into account the orbits of Tau Ceti g, h, e, and f, DYNAMITE predicts three additional planets, which correlate with the Tau Ceti b, c, and d signals from Tuomi et al 2013. While Feng et al 2017 could not confirm those signals and found a multitude of problems with them, this study provides statistical support that they could exist. Additionally, DYNAMITE predicted PxP-4, the planet you based Aquel on (which I originally thought was a best-case-scenario version of Tau Ceti e until scrolling up a bit).

Another thing worth noting is the potential compositions of the Tau Ceti planets. D&A20 mentioned that planets at the orbits of Tau Ceti b, g, and c receive enough radiation that their original hydrogen atmospheres were likely eroded away billions of years ago. However, starting at Tau Ceti h, the insolation from the host star isn't quite enough to have destroyed these original H/He envelopes, so it's a coin toss as to whether or not they're rocky, especially with their true masses likely being in the range of 4-7 Me. I would like to point out that Tau Ceti is quite a metal-poor star, and similarly metal-poor stars appear more likely to host large rocky planets (exceeding 1.6 Re or 6 Me). A couple examples include LHS 1140 and HD 48611 (TOI-214). The theory is that the protoplanets around metal-poor stars take longer to form, so by the time they get large enough to accumulate thick H/He layers, the hydrogen gas in the inner part of the disk has been blown away.

Also, your Tau Ceti f analogue is ridiculously dense. Like, it's compatible with a composition of 75-80% iron. Is it going to be made "puffier" in the update? A gaseous Sub-Neptune of 6.7 Earth masses should be around 2.35 Re (scaled down to 1,497.185 km for KSP scale).

Edited by ProtoJeb21

1 hour ago, KSPNoob said:

Is there a part list with descriptions anywhere?   I have quite a bit of parts mods already and wanted to know which ones out of this mod I want or need.  

No, but in-game you can search "gua" and find all parts with manufacturer "Galaxies Unbound Administration" if you installed the GU_Parts mod. You will find:

• Antennas (2). These are immensely powerful. One is powerful as far as Nova Kirbani, leagues above the range of the stock RA-100 and even the KSPI engines. The other antenna is strong up to 1.6x this distance, so, even stronger. (Ideally they should have a great cost to using them but there isn't much in terms of stock or popular utility mods that can be done to make this a real thing for the player to deal with).
  • A high-powered ArcJet linear RCS thruster. Great for turning huge ships.
  • A couple of tanks which can switch between a few of the tank types familiar to FFT.
  • Engines (3). Two of these are 3.75m main engines (using the same model, unfortunately) with different purposes. One is an ICF, the other is an MCF. One has better thrust. One has better Isp. The 3rd engine is a fusion powered 2.5m aerospike that works well in atmosphere and is great for landers and SSTO spaceplanes. The engines are also sufficient as main reactors to power ship systems.
  • A very large white heatshield (cosmetic whipple shield)
  • A folding radiator (the ZZZ kind). It handles 2MW.
  • A basic 1.25m exo scoop for harvesting materials from in space low around GU's planets. (But only those that matter to GU's engines. You'll need to use scoops from other mods and you may need to install Rational Resources for more in-space and even in-atmo resources.)
Edited by JadeOfMaar