[1.11.x - 1.12.3] Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey™ [1.3.1]&[1.4.3] [27June 2023]

StarCrusher96

4 hours ago, Grimmas said:

All I can say here is, when I had 32gb of RAM I was barely able to run two of GU star systems together. Of course, I was also using BDB, MLP, NFT, FFT, ReStock, KPBS, FUR, USI, and a ton of other mods.

Now I have a 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, a i9-12900K, and a faster SSD, so i am barely able to run the full GU pack with those mods, but it's not exactly pleasant.

I have 4gb RAM and with my magical optimization options (the stuff I am good at lmao) I can run stuff at around 50some FPS, with the only downside being load times. I have a good amount of mods, probably around 140--I cleaned out my install for GU and it failed miserably lol, so I'd love a less-impactful one. Even if there are less sytems. I just need MOAR SYSTEMs!!!!

How do you guys install your systems? Sometimes I start with e the alien worlds pack then go up from there. But right as I install Alpha Centuri it breaks the game. And other times I start with Alpha centuri and then when I install Tau Ceti it breaks. What is a good order or how can I fix this?

5 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

The game crashes when its done loading

The same thing happened to me but i found a workaround (i am using a mac with 8gb ram). For some reason when i download the installer (.pkg)  version of ksp (from the official ksp homepage) and install GU, it the game freezes crashes after displaying the "loading" message at the bottom right corner during the load sequence. But when I download ksp in its .zip format, it works fine but the loading time is really long. (but with the amazing quality and quantity of GU it is worth it)

I got it to work but for some reason all the atmos are blue. The clouds and stuff are fine, but other then that all of them are blue I used the recommended scatter and EVE it still makes it blue. This is the thing I get it from

https://github.com/StarCrusher96/Galaxies-Unbound-A-Stellar-Odyssey

How to install Galaxies Unbound: Visuals

→ When using visual mods, no need to worry! GU is now able to enable visuals on its own. Just download Eve-Redux/Eve and/-or Scatterer.

2 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

I got it to work but for some reason all the atmos are blue. The clouds and stuff are fine, but other then that all of them are blue I used the recommended scatter and EVE it still makes it blue. This is the thing I get it from

https://github.com/StarCrusher96/Galaxies-Unbound-A-Stellar-Odyssey

How to install Galaxies Unbound: Visuals

→ When using visual mods, no need to worry! GU is now able to enable visuals on its own. Just download Eve-Redux/Eve and/-or Scatterer.

Got screens ?

Edited by StarCrusher96

Currently installing GU, all the vids and pics I've seen are awe inspiring to say the least. (LIKE GOD DAMN, even the video above looks like it was captured in Space Engine).

I'm currently working on what's gonna become my definitive install for all things KSP.

What mods do people mainly use for their interstellar needs? It's my first time going interstellar in KSP and I'd like a solid choice.

1 hour ago, Lijazos said:

Currently installing GU, all the vids and pics I've seen are awe inspiring to say the least. (LIKE GOD DAMN, even the video above looks like it was captured in Space Engine).

I'm currently working on what's gonna become my definitive install for all things KSP.

What mods do people mainly use for their interstellar needs? It's my first time going interstellar in KSP and I'd like a solid choice.

I like Far Future Technologies and Blueshift, personally!

11 hours ago, funnelton said:

my mouth is salivating... laythe looks like a chocolate chip cookie. Will there be two versions of laythe like KSS?

Only this one.

41 minutes ago, RussiaNB said:

My game always crashes,why? my computer RAM is 24G

Got logs? Cannot fix without logs.

Does this mod need a specific version of Scatterer? I'm having a hard time getting this to load with EVE + Scatterer. Specifically, the core of the mod loads no problem, but the moment I add any of the star systems the game freezes and becomes unresponsive after the loading screen. It loads with an earlier version of Scatterer, 0.0772, but that version of Scatterer has various other problems that I'd rather avoid if possible. (clouds on the night side of planets showing incorrectly, etc.) Is there a way to make it work with Scatterer 0.0835? I would rather use that version if at all possible.
Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

It works for me with the latest version of Scatterer so chances are that's not your actual problem. Do you have enough RAM, VRAM, etc to run this mod? It is quite heavy.

I have 32GB of ram and a 1660ti, so I assume I have enough? If that's not the case I'd be a little baffled :P

Other than that I'm not sure what the problem would be. I've done A-B testing with all of the mods in my install, and GU is the only one that causes this problem and only when it has a planet pack installed. Any help or ideas troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

I'm installing via CKAN if that's important.

Edited by Codebreakerblue

Well well well, I appear to be a victim of some law of the universe or other. The one that states "the moment you post on a forum about some problem, that problem immediately pretends it never existed." It now loads successfully after a while of being seemingly unresponsive.

It might have simply been that I didn't have enough VRAM, and it wasn't truly freezing but just loading for an extensive period? In task manager, it doesn't quite max out my dedicated GPU memory but it does stabilize at a pretty high value (5.3 out of 6GB).

I'll keep trying stuff. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Codebreakerblue

1660ti might be pushing it, it really depends on how many other parts mods you're also trying to load at the same time :)

Maybe try to start with 1 or 2 star systems only and uninstall the rest for now. I remember when I had a less capable graphics card last year I could only load 2 maybe 3 systems, any more would freeze KSP.

17 hours ago, Grimmas said:

1660ti might be pushing it, it really depends on how many other parts mods you're also trying to load at the same time :)

Maybe try to start with 1 or 2 star systems only and uninstall the rest for now. I remember when I had a less capable graphics card last year I could only load 2 maybe 3 systems, any more would freeze KSP.

Thanks for your help, it takes quite a while to load at times but everything has been working through multiple game restarts and few hours worth of missions.

So, I've been trying to prepare myself (ie selecting a stable mod combo) for an interstellar GU campaign and I'm running into some fairly fundamental stumbling blocks. Before I start bombarding you with logs or what not, I just want to check if this is expected behavior, as I suspect that the main reason is basically that KSP is not set up for these sorts of interstellar distances.

I was worrying about mod compatibility so I restarted with a clean install of just the basics (1.12.3 + latest Kopernicus + latest GU with only Alpha Centauri installed and enabled, no other mods at all except ModuleManager) but the issues are the same. Some are just annoying while others are game breaking as they would prevent any sort of colonization. Mainly:

1) Landing on an extrasolar planet has a good chance of causing the craft to explode.

2) If landed despite that, going EVA has a good chance of causing the Kerbal to explode when exiting the craft.

3) If Kerbal survived going EVA despite that, then if I switch to the tracking station and back to a craft or Kerbal on an extrasolar planet then either the Kerbal, the craft, or both will usually explode.

4) View frustum error logspam when switching back to KSC scene after flight scene on interstellar body, this also causes the KSC to glitch out - massive loss of precision leads to deformed buildings which are not clickable and keep changing shape in surreal ways (like something Picasso would paint). If quitting back to the main menu at this point, the menu buttons also become unclickable.

5) Patches of terrain randomly disappear when trying to land on planets, making the planet transparent for obvious reasons. This usually is followed by my craft exploding. 

6) Stars shine through planets that should be obscuring them (this is fairly minor and I've only seen this happen when installing GU without any other visual mods).

7) Parts of the atmosphere are missing when close to the planet (ie the halo on the horizon is "incomplete", again this is also fairly minor and I've only seen this happen when installing GU without any other visual mods).

@StarCrusher96  Please let me know if what I am seeing is expected behavior given GU's ambitious scope, or if I am suffering from some bugs and should post logs etc. If there are ways of coping with this then I'm interested in hearing people's experiences, as I was fairly excited about the prospect of building a USI colony on an extrasolar planet :-)