[1.11.x - 1.12.3] Galaxies Unbound: A Stellar Odyssey™ [1.3.1]&[1.4.3] [27June 2023]

StarCrusher96

@JadeOfMaar Thank you for your answer, it may not be the case tho. There should be only two antennas, right? one relay, one direct? I got confused, because relay dish range is only 141Tm, which seems very low, considering distances between systems. Is that intentional?

Edited by falcoon

@falcoon Antenna power falloff is not linear. The more you try to buff it, the more the falloff catches up. Eventually you meet an absolute limit and you'll need a mod for subspace/FTL/handwavium comms or a manned outpost with the current antenna power so you can control any drone ship within how many hundreds of AU of it (forget about convently transmitting science back when you go interstellar. It's not happening). Putting real scale into perspctive, I think 141Tm in-game is exceptionally far for an antenna that doesn't use sci-fi magic. And we would be quite silly to expect IRL that we could hold a comms link to the Voyager probes once they reach the Oort cloud, or a link to anything if we ever mange to send to alpha Centauri.

Just now, falcoon said:

the direct antenna's range is 5Pm

Oh, I did not remember this. I'll factor that in then. Do you actually hold a comm link that far using this? Is this enough to hold comms links between stars? (Namely, Nova Kirbani or the next-nearest from Kerbin)

5 hours ago, StarCrusher96 said:

So basically everything orbits Kerbol  - Sun, its SOI remains infinite and the other stars orbit it with a fixed SOI.  Their orbital speed is basically 0 and the orbit lines are hidden. Why i'm not using a central black hole? That's because it gives you endless bugs related to KSP not being made to work like that. Kerbin MUST orbit Sun (or the central object of the game) in order for the game to work properly. 
I added several asteroidbelts around Sun (like an Oortcloud) that kinda gives away when you leave the system. But technically you're always inside the 'Sun' System.

Thank you, that definitely helps. Is your setup typical for making planetary mods with multiple star systems? Do I understand that other stars have an SOI like planets do?

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Thank you, that definitely helps. Is your setup typical for making planetary mods with multiple star systems? Do I understand that other stars have an SOI like planets do?

I'd say yes. So far other people with 'active' interstellar oriented mods have been using this setup too. I'd be surprised to see people using a central black hole these days. 

Stars have indeed their own massive soi's. 

1 hour ago, falcoon said:

It is. It works way further than closest stars. In the V1400 Kirbani  system probe still keeps link to Kerbin. It's red, but works.

Might decrease its range a little.

Edited by StarCrusher96

1 minute ago, StarCrusher96 said:

I'd say yes. So far other people with 'active' interstellar oriented mods have been using this setup too. I'd be surprised to see people using a central black hole these days. 

Great, thank you for the information, this helps! :) It sounds like what I would need to do is for the central system, define an artificial SOI based on the last planet to orbit it- like Eeloo in the stock game, and then look at the SOI parameters for satellite stars. Those two pieces of information will tell me where interstellar space is. I would also need to identify Kerbol...

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Great, thank you for the information, this helps! :) It sounds like what I would need to do is for the central system, define an artificial SOI based on the last planet to orbit it- like Eeloo in the stock game, and then look at the SOI parameters for satellite stars. Those two pieces of information will tell me where interstellar space is. I would also need to identify Kerbol...

yeah but i think for Sun it would be interesting to take a standard distance from it instead of using Eeloo as reference, because of mods like OPM. 

48 minutes ago, StarCrusher96 said:

yeah but i think for Sun it would be interesting to take a standard distance from it instead of using Eeloo as reference, because of mods like OPM. 

Makes sense. So I would need to find the furthest planet from Kerbol, whatever planet that is, and use that as a reference for the SOI of Kerbol.

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Makes sense. So I would need to find the furthest planet from Kerbol, whatever planet that is, and use that as a reference for the SOI of Kerbol.

yeah might be more interesting :)  or you could use the real scientific distance of 90-100 AU (1/10th) for sun.

Edited by StarCrusher96

10 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@falcoon Kiwi adds and removes tech nodes so that's very likely. That will be handled.

I don't remove any tech nodes, just add, but if GU adds any far future tech nodes, they may not be placed correctly as I do shift nodes around from the Community Tech Tree placements.

Edited by hemeac

@hemeac Thanks for mentioning. Personally, in my investigation since my first response, I saw that there isn't an obvious patch that deletes CTT's nodes so I figure Kiwi doesn't delete them, and I found GU's engines right where they are supposed to be... in Fusion Rocketry.

@falcoon You may want to remember the part titles and remember to use the search bar in the R&D view. Search "SRX" to find them.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@hemeac Thanks for mentioning. Personally, in my investigation since my first response, I saw that there isn't an obvious patch that deletes CTT's nodes so I figure Kiwi doesn't delete them, and I found GU's engines right where they are supposed to be... in Fusion Rocketry.

@falcoon You may want to remember the part titles and remember to use the search bar in the R&D view. Search "SRX" to find them.

@JadeOfMaar, that's good, GU looks too nice not to have it work right with KTT :-). Let me know if there are any support issues that my mod causes with your parts, don't want to waste your time trying to workaround them. 

Hello, sorry if this issue had been brought up before or not, but i've noticed on a few occasions that when flying a vessel with this mod, whilst in map mode and {Tab}ing through the stars at some point my vessel will just explode. Any ideas on that? Thanks.

Edited by JSlone

1 hour ago, JSlone said:

Hello, sorry if this issue had been brought up before or not, but i've noticed on a few occasions that when flying a vessel with this mod, whilst in map mode and {Tab}ing through the stars at some point my vessel will just explode. Any ideas on that? Thanks.

Page 1. Bugs and questions. 
Ignore max heat cheat.

Edited by StarCrusher96

hello,

Anyone is experiencing drilling problem on Bialo? After starting drills and warping time, after several hours the drills stop saying "no ground contact". Then if I stop time warping and restart the drill, it drills again but stop again as I told

Thanks