Ver 1.11 Parachutes not slowing down my craft.

Been away from the game for a long time and I thought giving it another go for 1.11.
Made a clean install without mods and launched a simple craft.

Started with a single MK16 parachute, which crashed the craft at about 200ms.
Maybe the Mk2 was just to heavy, I initially thought. Added more parachutes, like really overkill and the parachutes were just unable to slow the craft down enough.

Am I missing something, did something changed dramatically how the parachutes work?
Increase the altitude at which they deploy had no effect.

Edited by JayCheetah

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Are you launching your craft straight up and then letting it fall?

Did straight up. sub-orbital, orbital reentry. All with same result. Launching straight up and letting it fall shouldn't matter, unless craft is too heavy for the parachutes.

7 hours ago, sebi.zzr said:

@JayCheetah go to your KSP install folder and delete "PartDatabase.cfg" then restart the game.

This worked. Any idea what caused it?

6 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I had the same issue. Turned it was caused by starting the game through a batchfile (to get the -popupwindow argument in). Check that your startup folder is set properly because that’s what’s causing it.

Haven't tried this, since other solution solved it. I don't even know how I would start the game through a batchfile

1 hour ago, JayCheetah said:

Launching straight up and letting it fall shouldn't matter, unless craft is too heavy for the parachutes.

Or your craft's terminal velocity is higher than parachute deploy speed.

2 hours ago, JayCheetah said:

This worked. Any idea what caused it?

It's caused by not generating the "drag cubes" correctly for the parachutes and some times for other parts too. It happens mostly on fresh install where "PartDatabase" get corrupted.

27 minutes ago, sebi.zzr said:

It's caused by not generating the "drag cubes" correctly for the parachutes and some times for other parts too. It happens mostly on fresh install where "PartDatabase" get corrupted.

The solution is to delete the part database file, then it will be recreated the next time you start the game

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The solution is to delete the part database file, then it will be recreated the next time you start the game

Thanks for the heads up lgg.

That file not only tends to be corrupted, it also have a bad habit of being created in the directory you start from,

So if you are in ~/KSP and start 1.11.0/KSP.x86_64 then the PartDatabase.cfg appears in ~/KSP not in 1.11.0 ...

Personally I'd call that "bad behavior", esp since many of us have several versions of KSP in both modded and non-modded version.

I've added "PartDatabase.cfg" to the list of files that get nuked in my startup script.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.