Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 2 - The Kerbals

Nate Simpson

I've been looking forward to sharing this with you all -- the Squad and Intercept teams got a chance to talk a little bit about how Kerbals have changed over the years. Also, we finally got to highlight the role that my friend Tim Cox played in the development of KSP2! Here's to a 2021 filled with exciting advances, both on Earth and on Kerbin! Happy Holidays!

I like this a lot. The Kerbals didn't have a lot of personality before, outside of a few reactions in the portraits.

However, if I understood correctly, the Kerbals actually scream now? Regardless of whether or not I did, I'm not entirely sure if I like that.
I think part of the "fun" is having to imagine the helpless screams that accompanies their gestures and flailing. It gives you much more freedom as to what they really are like, not every one is going to agree to the presentation in the game. I, for one, find these screams way too high pitched and prefer something closer to the end of the 1.0 trailer.

Shameful how y'all forgot what Bac9 wrote up. I'll quote:

It’s not Kerbal? *shrug* For some reason some people like to think Kerbals are sloppy engineers only capable of producing inherently broken designs held together by duct tape. To them, proposing something prim and proper like a NASA VAB could be built by Kerbals is ridiculous. Well, I disagree. Take a good look at the parts: at the LV-N engine, at the 3-man pod, at the landing legs, at the ion engine. Those are cleanly executed pieces of impressive technology. Kerbals are indifferent to safety precautions and are very excited about explosions, yes, but they make an impression of extremely capable and very competent engineers. Sure, we know they probably turned a construction crane into a vomit carousel or raced on bulldozers in the process, but I don't doubt for one second they can build buildings similar to real ones, and I don't think it would be out of character for them. Plenty of other stuff like engines is fairly close to how our human rockets look. It's unfair to mistake Kerbals for orks from a “Certain Universe With 40k In The Name,” or to expect them to build sloppy duct-taped huts.

Far from 40k Orks.

This was posted on this forum, but given the changes it's been lost, however Bac9 got the article on Gamasutra as well.

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

I've been looking forward to sharing this with you all -- the Squad and Intercept teams got a chance to talk a little bit about how Kerbals have changed over the years. Also, we finally got to highlight the role that my friend Tim Cox played in the development of KSP2! Here's to a 2021 filled with exciting advances, both on Earth and on Kerbin! Happy Holidays!

Who is/was Tim Cox?

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

Shameful how y'all forgot what Bac9 wrote up. I'll quote:

Far from 40k Orks.

This was posted on this forum, but given the changes it's been lost, however Bac9 got the article on Gamasutra as well.

The problem with things like this is that staff turnover means that its likely even current SQUAD staff have never met/worked with Bac9, never read that article, never been in a production meeting where Bac9's direction was discussed... this then propagates further to new Intercept Games staff who have this whole new semi-isolated opinion-set from SQUAD (I know there is communication between but 100% fully communicative is not realistic) so design direction changes, in some areas significantly, from what we have been lead to believe in the past and the new direction that the new development team wish to go down.

Its 'product evolution'. Some things persist, some things change.

Does an attempt already been made to turn the Kerbals to vegetable ?

In the meaning of a life-support mod, where Kerbals would need sunlight for photosynthesis and water to live grow ?

That could make a nice change to the usual paradigm of life support mod :P

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

The problem with things like this is that staff turnover means that its likely even current SQUAD staff have never met/worked with Bac9, never read that article, never been in a production meeting where Bac9's direction was discussed... this then propagates further to new Intercept Games staff who have this whole new semi-isolated opinion-set from SQUAD (I know there is communication between but 100% fully communicative is not realistic) so design direction changes, in some areas significantly, from what we have been lead to believe in the past and the new direction that the new development team wish to go down.

Its 'product evolution'. Some things persist, some things change.

This is more like devolving. The idea of Kerbals being 40k orks or anything of the sort was left behind when the barn debacle happened. Of course, the models being incredibly low quality didn't help, but the idea in general was obnoxious and generally disliked as well, which is why we don't have the barn anymore (thankfully).

Edited by PDCWolf

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

This is more like devolving. The idea of Kerbals being 40k orks or anything of the sort was left behind when the barn debacle happened. Of course, the models being incredibly low quality didn't help, but the idea in general was obnoxious and generally disliked as well, which is why we don't have the barn anymore (thankfully).

The only reference I saw to WH40K orks was when developers were thrown the curve ball of having to give the answer on what kind of tissue Kerbals were made off. Nothing, nothing that has been shown in the preview so far points to a return of “barn culture” (duct tape, fuel tanks made out of rusted oil barrels, etc) — quite the contrary; I've only seen parts and ships that are far more polished and slick looking than anything we have in KSP 1.

Looking at the Kerbals we interact with in the game — small, green, not exactly fearless but lacking a certain amount of foresight resulting in the willingness to strap themselves into your contraptions — I can see where the comparison is coming from and I'm fine with that. It reflects badly on the Kerbals. Obviously they're capable of building highly refined technology. Just look at the LV-N engine, the 3-Kerbal capsule, the ion engine... Yes. Of course. The average car is a marvel of engineering. Now look at the American highway and the average operator of those vehicles. If you're trying to convince me they are geniuses, then I know you haven't spent any time commuting on American highways. Just because Kerbal society is advanced and refined doesn't mean their most advanced and refined are willing to fly those rockets. In fact, because they're highly intelligent they probably pass on for that job.

Bring on the arm-flailing and screaming. I think it's just what the game needs.

6 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

The only reference I saw to WH40K orks was when developers were thrown the curve ball of having to give the answer on what kind of tissue Kerbals were made off. Nothing, nothing that has been shown in the preview so far points to a return of “barn culture” (duct tape, fuel tanks made out of rusted oil barrels, etc) — quite the contrary; I've only seen parts and ships that are far more polished and slick looking than anything we have in KSP 1.

We need tinfoil Kerbals, strapped to the rockets!

7 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

We need tinfoil Kerbals, strapped to the rockets!

How about Krash Test Kerman? He's yellow with those weird circle quadrants painted in spots and can operate a ship as long as it's in radio range. Perfect for those launches even Jeb doesn't want to try.

I like the emotion in the Kerbal faces, especially the look of wonderment and awe.

I think pilots, or perhaps pilots of a certain tier or experience level should lean into the turns while all other passengers, scientists, tourists, engineers et al should get tossed around.

I like the arm flailing, and the general enhanced range of emotion but the screaming is a turn off to me. 

I generally turn off Kerbal portraits in the corner, and send mostly probes and un-kerbaled craft around so none of this is particularly important to me.

13 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I loved the Brady Bunch-like square of nine Kerbals (8:22 in the video) showing their reactions with a vertical scale of bravery and a horizontal scale of stupidity.  

Or the other way around. When it comes to a willingness to fly in a Kerbal rocket the two are pretty interchangeable.

I really hope that the screaming is in the game....The way they flailed around and panicked was adorable!  The whole deal with kerbals representing the best of humanity....yeah, I can see that. Maybe that’s why a game about space frogs is so much more then just that.

cheers, and Merry Christmas!

-Lewie