Glitch when part is highlighted

Screenshot explains everything:

3aUY4yo.png

Notice the graphical glitch on the mount of the engine (the squares that are different shades of green). This only shows up when the part is highlighted in the editor. Does anyone know the cause of this? The mount was created using the extrude tool in blender, that might be the problem, although it doesn't affect other parts I've used it with. Subdivision surface seems to be the cause of the issue. Does anyone know a way to keep subdivision surface, but remove this glitch?

Thanks.

Edited by Aniruddh

The glitch is the fact that the centering ring has green squares with different shades of green ?

The green is created by an additional shader from my understanding. By experimenting, I know that it interacts with other shaders. So if by design, all the 'parts' of your ring have different shader values, it might be a logical result. You might want to uniformize the  shader for the ring.

The glitch is the fact that the mount tube have no green ?

The lack of green might have a similar reason : the shader value makes it so that the green is not visible. So I am assuming the shader value is not the same as for the engine.

I think the interaction I have seen was with the bump map but I will need to verify when I can.

The glitch is something else ?

If you explicitly point it out, you might get more answers. 

Edited by DunaColonist

18 minutes ago, DunaColonist said:

The glitch is the fact that the centering ring has green squares with different shades of green ?

Yes, that is what I mean.

Edit: I found that removing the subdivision surface modifier from the ring removed this glitch. I still want the modifier, so I have to figure out a different way.

Edited by Aniruddh

You could check your UV map. Assuming you have a texture, each part of the ring could be mapped to a different part of your texture file. It might not be visible without the green but with the green, the difference pops. Or it is a more subtle configuration of the shader... and it still a new topic for me.

It could be linked to the way the normals of your surface are changed by your texture.

With blender you can display the normal of each surface of your model in order to check what is outside vs inside. But I don't think that the issue.

I don't know if there is a way to check how shader/material tweak the normal for rendering purpose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.