The construction interface should work from command chairs.

Interesting, I haven't actually tried it yet, but I just assumed it would work, Kerbals in command seats are on EVA after all. 

I have put command seats in strategic places on one of my ships for just this purpose.    I think a slight re-design is in order.

Maybe the 'logic' is that if strapped in a seat they aren't mobile enough to move stuff around.

Edited by pandaman

18 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Because I want to be able to use my maintenance pod. 

Try to turn on helmets lights in the seat^^

Parachute goes :)

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

Interesting, I haven't actually tried it yet, but I just assumed it would work, Kerbals in command seats are on EVA after all. 

No - I have same issue.

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

Maybe the 'logic' is that if strapped in a seat they aren't mobile enough to move stuff around.

When is not strapped is to mobile :)

From the player's perspective, anything a Kerbal can do while stationary on a ladder, that is within reach from the chair, he should be able to do from a chair.  

People have requested that Engineers be able to  repair, and Scientists restore experiments (link) from the EAS-1 chair.   

I can imagine the KSP internals might be structured in a way that seated in a chair is different to being on a ladder:  Kerbals in the chair do things like extend ladders through the craft command system,  while Kerbals on EVA including on a ladder can interact with a different set of things, and only when they are within reach.

On 12/25/2020 at 5:42 PM, Superfluous J said:

(Image: Unpopular Opinion Bear)

Hopefully the bear will not get too angry if I say that making the construction interface available without an external Kerbal, would make the new in-flight construction less special, and for me less fun.  (When we have some reason to modify a craft in flight, without fun laser welding, we can create the modified version of the craft in the VAB, cheat it into a rendezvous orbit, transfer Kerbals, and delete the original craft. )

On 12/25/2020 at 7:49 PM, vv3k70r said:

Try to turn on helmets lights in the seat^^

For me, the lights go on when I hit the 'U' key.  Later, if I hit the 'P' key, and am moving in the atmosphere, then the parachute opens.  There may be something wrong with your key-bindings (Main Menu : Settings : Input ).

I agree that this should be implemented. Now that in-flight construction is possible, the first thing I wondered about it was "how can I extend the inventory and propulsion limits of an EVA kerbal"? Command seat-based craft are the obvious choice, whether that's on the surface (rovers) or in orbit (MMUs).

On 12/27/2020 at 2:19 AM, OHara said:

For me, the lights go on when I hit the 'U' key.

If You press Light icon on Kerbal - it turn on lights on helmet. If U pressed - it turn on lights on helemt.

If You pres Light icon on vessel - it turn lights on vessel but not helmets on Kerbals that seat there. If You press U it turns on vessel lights and helmets. Consistency!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.