Liquid Fuel Only Challenge!

3 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

So, we can do suborbital runs and kerbin atmosphere stuff... unless we use glitch drives.

2 hours ago, paul_c said:

I am not getting it. The "S" in KSP is "space" - and liquid-only engines don't work there.

What's wrong, lads? Lost your Nerv...? :wink:

7 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

What's wrong, lads? Lost your Nerv...?

Sure, but if we use Nerv then I don't understand the challenge. We can just launch whatever we want into suborbit with jets and then visit the whole solar system with nervs. a Jet/nerv Eve landing/return mission might be hard, but the rest is pretty much up for grabs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably interested, I just need a more refined goal @AngryPotato9

1 hour ago, camacju said:

Not close to zero, literally equal to zero. At 9km the nerv's thrust is about 1/400 of its vacuum thrust

Does that mean we can use electricity and wheels that can steer to move the nose back and for to move forward and gain lift with massive wings? Or does electrical count as a fuel?

There are also both electric and lf based propellers to get off eve. I assume that makes eve less ambitious. Or is this no DLC content?

You will have to be more specific as to what is and isn't usable.

Edited by Arugela

2bLsM6D.png

I may have budgeted slightly too much liquid fuel for my ascent vehicle. If I hadn't detached the jets when they flamed out, I could have gotten all the way to Tylo orbit on a single stage, and not even had to use my two transfer stages. This means that I'll be obligated to land places other than Tylo.

Edit: If I had planned this better, I might have been able to do an all liquid fuel Jool-5. That would be pretty cool

Edited by camacju

I did this mission to Duna and Ike a while back. Docking with Nervs only is possible, but annoying. Set the throttle limiter very low, use a lot of reaction wheels, and prepare to swing back and forth a lot.

https://imgur.com/gallery/uhwRA

Spoiler

8Xhy4iq.png

shortly after takeoff

gsdBqkU.png

jet boosters away

pfq7KfK.png

deploying lander (there's one Nerv hiding under those tanks)

yvKWADM.png

on Duna

YWciCYV.png

now on Ike

JzWw6jN.png

Jeb posing for my avatar icon (thanks Jeb!)

Rl3vkNj.png

docking for return home

LX4JKAy.png

docked with crew return SSTO over Kerbin

phmIAnn.png

final approach

On 12/26/2020 at 7:55 PM, Arugela said:

Does that mean we can use electricity and wheels that can steer to move the nose back and for to move forward and gain lift with massive wings? Or does electrical count as a fuel?

There are also both electric and lf based propellers to get off eve. I assume that makes eve less ambitious. Or is this no DLC content?

You will have to be more specific as to what is and isn't usable.

You can use propellors, as long as there the ones powered by liquid fuel, and reaction wheels are fine

Edited by AngryPotato9
Forgot info

Okay, I landed on all five of Jool's moons using only liquid fuel. Note that on the Laythe landing I composited multiple takes because of me forgetting to record stuff. The lander obviously can orbit even from sea level.

167 parts in total, 17 rapiers, 10 nuclear engines, 0 oxidizer

Also - I have absolutely no idea how the lander survived (mostly) intact at the Kerbin landing. The docking port must have absorbed the initial impact somehow?

Edited by camacju

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.