Liquid Fuel Only Challenge!

On 1/7/2021 at 7:36 AM, Mephisto81 said:

I might have a little craft for this:
https://kerbalx.com/Mephisto/XS-07-Myrmidon-Liquid-Fuel-only-SSTO-to-Mun-and-Duna

Took it from Kerbin to the Mun and Duna and back to Kerbin.

ztJH0B9.jpg
To orbit!

wwe1zpV.jpg

Fly me to the Mun...

GRbPDKB.jpg

A flag! On the Mun!

XvBoBj1.jpg

A nice day in the dessert. Hope they don't have sandworms on Duna...

More pictures in the Imgur gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/inJNYvH

-Mephisto-

(Fly Safe and prosper, or something like that)

Wow, that’s more than I thought would be possible!

Also, I’m thinking about making a v2 of this thread and adding badges and stuff. However I’m trash as making badges so... does any1 think that might be a good idea?

Ok so here's another submission to the realm of liquid fuel. Using only one rapier engine and one nuclear engine, I land on the five moons of Jool, as well as Duna, Ike, Mun, and Minmus. I've got some ideas for an Eve ascent vehicle as well. Could a liquid fuel only grand tour be possible?

On 1/16/2021 at 10:18 PM, camacju said:

Single stage Jool-5 is probably not possible without ISRU and definitely not possible with only liquid 

11 hours ago, camacju said:

Ok so here's another submission to the realm of liquid fuel. Using only one rapier engine and one nuclear engine, I land on the five moons of Jool, as well as Duna, Ike, Mun, and Minmus. I've got some ideas for an Eve ascent vehicle as well. Could a liquid fuel only grand tour be possible?

I think a liquid fuel grand tour could be possible with mining and a elaborate eve lander.  If nerves make 0 thrust at eve then this wouldn’t be possible without the idea of using the nerve alternator to power electric motors. However, if you dont have breaking ground, this will not be possible. Unless, you can get speed from rolling down a eve mountain,  but that wolnt get you to takeoff speed (Assuming this is a plane with massive wings) to go into the air, then somehow accelerate to orbital speed. 

Does anyone with the breaking ground DLC want to try this? 

Anyway, great job on the Jool-5, that craft is, interesting to say the least!

On 1/1/2021 at 1:18 AM, Lt_Duckweed said:

Even at the top of the highest mountain on Eve Nervs produce 0 thrust, so no way to spin the props.  Unless you mean using the nerv ec to power the prop, which might work, depending on if ec scales with throttle or real thrust.

That won't work sadly, alternator output is based on thrust, not throttle. But what can you do is having an empty battery bank that is charged up during kerbin ascend and transfer by lvn.

I've got somewhat of an idea. The Eve lander will have a stage of props and then a few nuclear stages using a lot of the Big-S wings. Ideally it would be able to reach 20km or more. The battery for the props would launch empty and get charged up during ascent and the Eve transfer.

The Eve lander would reach a high suborbital trajectory, at which point an orbital tug will burn to an intercept and a collision course with Eve before burning back to a stable orbit. Then it would rendezvous with a return vehicle. The tug and return vehicle won't need to be large, only one nuclear engine and one or two of the mk1 fuel tanks.

The Eve lander should have about 4km/s of delta-v at 20km since Eve's atmosphere is so thick. The tug should have something like 5km/s so it can intercept more easily. I'm including what I think is a pretty big margin because I'm not really sure exactly how much is needed.

11 hours ago, camacju said:

I've got somewhat of an idea. The Eve lander will have a stage of props and then a few nuclear stages using a lot of the Big-S wings. Ideally it would be able to reach 20km or more. The battery for the props would launch empty and get charged up during ascent and the Eve transfer.

The Eve lander would reach a high suborbital trajectory, at which point an orbital tug will burn to an intercept and a collision course with Eve before burning back to a stable orbit. Then it would rendezvous with a return vehicle. The tug and return vehicle won't need to be large, only one nuclear engine and one or two of the mk1 fuel tanks.

The Eve lander should have about 4km/s of delta-v at 20km since Eve's atmosphere is so thick. The tug should have something like 5km/s so it can intercept more easily. I'm including what I think is a pretty big margin because I'm not really sure exactly how much is needed.

Wow, that might work.

And if u have 2 nerves facing eachother then that could be your generator. 

Why don't you just use sandbox mode

Edit: Also if you really want to do career or science mode it's definitely possible to unlock the liquid fuel tanks without ever using SRB or LF+Ox engines. You just have to be clever about it

Edited by camacju

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.