How to handle root part?

Question

There is an issue with root parts:

I cannot remove them with EVA 1.11 construction and I cannot take them from the ground (small docking port), and same issue came after detaching something from KIS/KAS- it just drop to the ground and is considered root part.

What is workaround in such a case of root part 1.11?

How to grab something with KIS/KAS detaching by screwdriver from the vessel to put it somwhere else?

5 answers to this question

I don't know about KIS but you can pick up single parts that you dropped in the stock interface. I've done it dozens of times while flailing around trying to get used to orbital construction.

Not being able to take the root part off a vessel is an issue though. I wish the VAB's reroot tool was available in EVA construction.

44 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I wish the VAB's reroot tool was available in EVA construction.

I have wanted this for a long time, for KIS/KAS but mainly for Konstruction! as if a Konstruction port ended up being the root part on docking, you couldn't weld.  I never made it an official request since it would have no benefit in stock - which is no longer the case.

I do not see if I can rearange root in file other way then coding a whole vessel again. To avoid writing a whole editor it looks like making same vessel in VAB and edit it structure to vessel on given posiotn.

1 hour ago, vv3k70r said:

I do not see if I can rearange root in file other way then coding a whole vessel again. To avoid writing a whole editor it looks like making same vessel in VAB and edit it structure to vessel on given posiotn.

You can set a new root part in the VAB/SPH using the re-root tool, it's up by the Rotate/Translate buttons.

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You can set a new root part in the VAB/SPH using the re-root tool, it's up by the Rotate/Translate buttons.

Yes - it is how I can cheat vehicle in field to be vehicle with root part of my new choice. But I cannot edit it on site or (in reasonable way) in file.

Is there any length that is maximum for EVE construction? I cannot make pipe any longer - there is node for pipe... I can attach only docking port. Of course I moved enginner that far so I can build there.