How to handle root part?

There is an issue with root parts:

I cannot remove them with EVA 1.11 construction and I cannot take them from the ground (small docking port), and same issue came after detaching something from KIS/KAS- it just drop to the ground and is considered root part.

What is workaround in such a case of root part 1.11?

How to grab something with KIS/KAS detaching by screwdriver from the vessel to put it somwhere else?

I don't know about KIS but you can pick up single parts that you dropped in the stock interface. I've done it dozens of times while flailing around trying to get used to orbital construction.

Not being able to take the root part off a vessel is an issue though. I wish the VAB's reroot tool was available in EVA construction.

44 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I wish the VAB's reroot tool was available in EVA construction.

I have wanted this for a long time, for KIS/KAS but mainly for Konstruction! as if a Konstruction port ended up being the root part on docking, you couldn't weld.  I never made it an official request since it would have no benefit in stock - which is no longer the case.

1 hour ago, vv3k70r said:

I do not see if I can rearange root in file other way then coding a whole vessel again. To avoid writing a whole editor it looks like making same vessel in VAB and edit it structure to vessel on given posiotn.

You can set a new root part in the VAB/SPH using the re-root tool, it's up by the Rotate/Translate buttons.

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You can set a new root part in the VAB/SPH using the re-root tool, it's up by the Rotate/Translate buttons.

Yes - it is how I can cheat vehicle in field to be vehicle with root part of my new choice. But I cannot edit it on site or (in reasonable way) in file.

Is there any length that is maximum for EVE construction? I cannot make pipe any longer - there is node for pipe... I can attach only docking port. Of course I moved enginner that far so I can build there.

• 1 year later...

I read your discussion because I have got the same problems (which can be quite severe if you try to develop things to be handle in EVA construction mode)…

Two cases : - you remove all parts until the last, but you cannot handle this last one (typically a docking port). I suppose that it is a part that I appended when I was in the VAB (often I develop a thing and create a new, appending the first thing … and the connection is the docking port that seems to keep the behaviour of a root part during is lifetime.

- And the second case, there is a biggest part before to come to the docking port which cannot be handle and … it is impossible to separe the docking port…   

For the first case : in a saved file/situation, if you find the solo part (considered sometimes like a ship or etc),  Changing the line "type = Ship" by "type = DroppedPart" resolves the problem to handle it in EVA construction mode (…).

But for the second case… I really don't know…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.