[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

KSP 1.12.x

Far Future Technologies [1.2.0] 
Last Updated August 23, 2021

zaTISMr.png

Full Screenshot Gallery

Welcome to Far Future Technologies, a mod to extend your space program into THE FUTURE. This mod provides pretty optimistic but generally viable spacecraft technologies. These might not be possible today, but the physics works out, and might be feasible within the next 100 years.

Key features:

• Exotic Fission Engines: running the full gamut from low-thrust fission fragment engines to the notorious nuclear salt water rocket
  • Fusion Engines: a wide swathe of thermal and inertially confined fusion engines
  • Antimatter Catalyzed Engines: augmenting fission and fusion with antimatter power
  • Torch Drives: for those who don't care about balance. One in the Fusion, Fission and Antimatter category.
  • Resource Harvesting: many options for collecting resources, like atmospheric and exospheric scoops, big mining rigs and antimatter factories 
  • Thermal Mechanics: integration with System Heat for deep thermal mechanics
  • Plumes and Animations: integration with Waterfall to drive some (in my opinion) beautiful plumes

Keep in mind that Far Future Technologies is complex! Rocket engineers will need to master basically everything from CryoTanks, Near Future Tech, System Heat and a lot more to succeed. 

System Heat

This mod uses System Heat to run its thermal mechanics. There is some new heat gameplay as a result of this. If you are just getting started, you should review the System Heat Wiki. When you install FFT, only FFT parts and radiators will use System Heat. If you want to use this system with other parts, check out the forum thread for a download of the 'full' mod which includes patches to extend the thermal model to converters, drills, NFE reactors, etc. 

Compatibility

This mod is designed to synergize well with everything I make, particularly Kerbal Atomics, and with the various Near Future Technologies mods . It is also fully integrated into the Community Tech Tree (you should really use this). 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will you add feature/part xxx?
A: I am now retired from KSP1 modding and will only be providing bugfixes. 

Q: Why no Orion Drive? Daedelus?
ASo overrated. I've also tried to stay away from things we've seen directly in KSP2.

Q: Is this mod compatible with KSPI-E?
AIt is not.

Dependencies (Required and Bundled)

• Module Manager 
  • B9 Part Switch
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Cryo Tanks
  • Deployable Engines
  • Dynamic Battery Storage
  • SystemHeat
  • SpaceDust
  • Waterfall

Licensing

• All code and cfgs are distributed under the MIT License
  • All art assets (textures, models, animations) are distributed under an All Rights Reserved License.
  • All bundled mods are distributed under their own licenses.

Download 
Mirrors

Primary (SpaceDock)
Secondary (CurseForge)
Tertiary (GitHub)

Issue Tracking and Source

Special Thanks 

A big hand to all the testers who helped work out balance and bugs during the last month.

If you appreciate this project, please consider contributing to my caffeine addiction! I really appreciate it, and also helps justify this time sink to my wife :wink:, which results directly in more models. btn_donate_SM.gif

Edited by Nertea

Already loved this mod when I found the dev version all these years ago during KSP 1.3.

Futurtech engines that don't have the unecassary complex gameplay baggage of KSPIE

AND they are restock quality. 

Just the best. Seeing it be released is just awesome. 

Edited by GrandProtectorDark

Great job! Congrats on release! Your suite of mods are ever-growing... :D I will try this out, seems like a more stockalike and simpler KSPIE, right? Will definitely try soon! Of course, everyone knows that there's going to be near past technologies, or not, but we'll see. My verdict: this is a much newer, more lightweight, and better textured version of an interstellar-capable mod, and this have a lot of potential! Love your work!

Question: as this mod receives expansion, will it split into mini-packs (although I wouldnt call them mini) like NFT?

41 minutes ago, Hypercore said:

Great job! Congrats on release! Your suite of mods are ever-growing... :D I will try this out, seems like a more stockalike and simpler KSPIE, right? Will definitely try soon! Of course, everyone knows that there's going to be near past technologies, or not, but we'll see. My verdict: this is a much newer, more lightweight, and better textured version of an interstellar-capable mod, and this have a lot of potential! Love your work!

Question: as this mod receives expansion, will it split into mini-packs (although I wouldnt call them mini) like NFT?

I think this mod is ''small'' enough compared to nft so it doesn't need to be splitted

43 minutes ago, Hypercore said:

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Q: Will you add feature/part xxx?
A: The mod is feature complete and I am unlikely to do any more development

I wouldn't really think that this is gonna split apart like NFT

This looks beautiful. 2 questions, I'd love to add this to your other mods I'm using, but I'm still playing on 1.10, is the current version backwards compatible to 1.10? and second, I've never used any of the cryogenic engine/tank mods, If I add this mod, I see it has a dependency on Cryo tanks, will that do anything to my other engines, or only parts from this mod?

Edited by vardicd

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

This looks beautiful. 2 questions, I'd love to add this to your other mods I'm using, but I'm still playing on 1.10, is the current version backwards compatible to 1.10? and second, I've never used any of the cryogenic engine/tank mods, If I add this mod, I see it has a dependency on Cryo tanks, will that do anything to my other engines, or only parts from this mod?

cryotanks adds special tanks for storing cryo fuel and also gives the option for stock tanks to holf cryo fuels or even for example fill a jumbo tank with oxidiser. Other than that nothing besides a plugin for stock tanks to use EC to stop cryo fuel boiling off should change something on stock I think. But I would encourage you to look on the Cryotanks and Cryoengine sites for further information :)

For anyone wondering if this works with 1.10. I took the plunge and loaded the mod after backing up my game folders and saves, and everything seems to have loaded in with no errors, can't tell if everything is working as intended in 1.10.