[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

17 hours ago, Nertea said:

Unless something changed in the way fuel flow is defined, the converter is set to be able to pull from other parts, which overrides the default fuel flow settings.

Doesn't seem to work for me for some reason. I had various EnrU containers attached (a small drum, a reactor and the Whirlijig). Had to add a RadioactiveStorageContainer module to the smelter as a workaround.

EiJCZUH.png

I recently sent a crew of 8 to Duna and Ike using the X-20 Verne. I figured that y'all might be interested in my mission report and screenshots.

It was really enjoyable to build and fly these parts, however the engine sounds for the X-20 are awful. It sounds like a really repetative popping noise, not pleasent at all to hear. Is this a bug?

On 1/5/2021 at 2:34 PM, mikegarrison said:

Yes, I did install it. But it didn't exactly come with an instruction manual, as far as I could find. So I've been kind of puzzling out how it works. I did find the manual slider for power, but not right away.

4 hours ago, CDSlice said:

I recently sent a crew of 8 to Duna and Ike using the X-20 Verne. I figured that y'all might be interested in my mission report and screenshots.

It was really enjoyable to build and fly these parts, however the engine sounds for the X-20 are awful. It sounds like a really repetative popping noise, not pleasent at all to hear. Is this a bug?

I turned on the sound on my game, just for you, and didn't hear anything offensive. It's a repeating explosion sound that I guess if you're doing a long burn will indeed become... repetitive. 

11 hours ago, ktosiu said:

Doesn't seem to work for me for some reason. I had various EnrU containers attached (a small drum, a reactor and the Whirlijig). Had to add a RadioactiveStorageContainer module to the smelter as a workaround.

Hmm, that used to work (maybe around 1.3...). I'll have to make an adjustment.

5 hours ago, CDSlice said:

are there now custom sounds for the ''pulse engines''?

@ProfessorPalpatine Regarding full-length frisbees to orbit ... it can be done. I imagine the intended model is extraplanetary launchpads, but brute force isn't impossible. Its more unwieldy than it is heavy.

@kspnerd122 For using the fusion tokamaks for ascent, four of the large static square radiator panels is enough to cool them. The static panels won't break under aerodynamic forces so you can mount them like fins (their aerodynamic usefulness is unclear). I had a spaceplane prototype that mounted them on the dorsal side of the wing with good success.

2 hours ago, Cataclysmm said:

How do I remove system heat dependency so I can use the mod? Or can I just not install that and the worthless spacedust.

Both of those are hard dependencies so this mod isn't functional without them. I'm not sure why you don't want them, System Heat makes it much easier to plan out your cooling systems and make sure they work in the VAB and Space Dust doesn't really impact you if you don't do ISRU.

3 hours ago, Cataclysmm said:

How do I remove system heat dependency so I can use the mod? Or can I just not install that and the worthless spacedust.

If you don't want to use Systemheat and and Spacedust (both very cool and useful), then you can just not use FFT. They are both dependencies of the mod and were made so important functions of FFT can work correctly. 

On a side note, it is quite rude to discount months of work as "useless". You should at least use the mods and realize that they can be very handy before saying you don't want to use them.

On 12/31/2020 at 2:48 AM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Yes, I have been using it on my 1.9.1 testing install since the first beta. The actual release may require a bit of patching to avoid bugs related to ModuleCargoPart.

So Nertea mentioned that the new version of System heat may not work in older KSP versions because he is using some new API calls, are you on an older version of System Heat or will the newer one still work?

I was thinking about building a new 1.11 install but would prefer to continue in my 1.9.1 install as one of the primary mods I have been using in that save has not been updated for 1.10+ and is looking like it won't be any time soon.

I recall from development, and not including SH in a test install, that not adding it to your game will just cause mysterious loading crashes!

40 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

So Nertea mentioned that the new version of System heat may not work in older KSP versions because he is using some new API calls, are you on an older version of System Heat or will the newer one still work?

I can say the nuclear fuel transfer system won't, for sure, but I had reports that the rest of the mod is fine. 

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

*snip*

I can say the nuclear fuel transfer system won't, for sure, but I had reports that the rest of the mod is fine. 

hmmm mkay well that's not that bad, that can be easily cheated around so long as I keep my self honest and make sure I am meeting the requirements just for RP's sake. I might give it a shot then.

Edited by Akira_R

So the FAQ says this doesn't work with KSPIE - does that mean using both will break things? Or does that mean it just doesn't integrate?

I've spent the past month learning KSPIE and have a love/hate relationship with it. I'm considering starting a new play through and am tempted to use this mod instead. It not only looks better than KSPIE but it doesn't look like it throws as many variables at you.

Is there a good tutorial anywhere? I assume it's not as complicated as KSPIE either.

1 minute ago, Nnimrod said:

So is scott manley saying your name correctly? "Nertee"? If so then I have not been.

Same... I just went "Oh..." while watching the vid. I've been saying "Ner-tee-a"

1 hour ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I think Scott really likes FFT- he made a video on the NSWR and now these!

So, fun tidbit. He had a no-graphics version of his NSWR that he posted a link to on Twitter. I brought FFT to his attention, suggested he could use it for graphics.

It's Nehr-Tay-Ah, but I'm really not bothered :P. 

36 minutes ago, viveleroi said:

Is there a good tutorial anywhere? I assume it's not as complicated as KSPIE either.

40 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

I've designed it to work 90% like existing KSP systems, so shouldn't really need a huge tutorial - there are engines, you put them on your craft. They work like other engines, with a few minor gotchas (some need to charge up before starting, etc). Read the engine descriptions!

The key new feature you will need to really learn is SystemHeat, which has a small tutorial here. https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/SystemHeat/wiki. For atmospheric harvesting, SpaceDust has some additional things to learn as well, but that's not really a key feature. 

3 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Nehr-Tay-Ah

The mystery has been solved! :P

That's how I originally pronounced it, but then I heard Kottabos pronounce it differently, and I was like

"Youtube KSP mod man must know"

And I've pronounced it wrong (mostly in my brain) since. :confused:

9 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

The mystery has been solved! :P

That's how I originally pronounced it, but then I heard Kottabos pronounce it differently, and I was like

"Youtube KSP mod man must know"

And I've pronounced it wrong (mostly in my brain) since. :confused:

I pronounce it in my native language pronouncination ner-te(e spoken short)-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa